Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Oak last night?

edited January 2009 in General Charlton
Anyone on here go in there before the game?

Have to say, was completely gobsmacked by the lack of atmosphere in there - or more particularly outside. We turned up about half 6 and stopped off at the offy beforehand to get some emergency rations thinking it was going to be a repeat of last year when you couldn't move inside or out.

There was hardly anyone outside and it was pretty sparse inside as well. We tried to get a few songs going but those that were there just looked at us in amazement so we fooked off to Bartrams of all places - that's how bad it was.

Was very very disappointed. Woeful.

Comments

• we are in the know,loads of lifers in there having a smoke out the back
  • Yeah went there for a change took more than 10 minutes for a drink poor atmosphere and a few drunk beyond belief

Now i know why i dont go there often
  • The token 'first-pinters' across the road from the oak were doing their best - bless 'em
  • Up for auction 8th April.
    Auction to be held on the premisis (for anyone interested).
  • Crikey. Let's have a whip-round...
  • I'd put £100 in
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]me too.
    I'd guess you've put a lot more into that place than most over the years!
  • does it have a change of use license? would a developer be able to buy it and mow it down? or are there restrictions on the sale?
  • odds on will be flats. shame.
  • Sponsored links:

• Quiet a period facade, fits in well with neighbouring similar properties. Quite quaint, as the Yanks say.

It would be a terrible shame if it was flattened or stripped of it's character.
    And shame to lose a legendary pub.
  • its been stripped of its internal character already.
  • This years CharltonLife fundraising attempt ? Buy "The Oak" and turn it into a pub, £100 if I can have a seat in the "snug Bar"
  • This is great news and i really think with the right owners it could return to being as popular as it was.
  • Which downstairs flat there are you going to buy, Mart?

It's about making money - and the pub evidently isn't.

:o(
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Which downstairs flat there are you going to buy, Mart?

It's about making money - and the pub evidently isn't.

:o(

Hope you're wrong Oggy and that those who were alienated return once its under new management. If the Oak did close, surely there would have to be a move to make the Antigallican the new home pub.
  • Best fight to stave off the relegation of The Oak to flats.

It's always easier to fight for what you already have.
  • Oi Robbo... any news on how the auction went or are punters still outbidding each other. We can live in hope!
  • Damn, I walked past the bottom of Charlton Lane last night and remembered the auction and was going to check when it was...
  • Me & Goonerhater are taking over, and only ex B-mob, fatties and Middle Park Skins will be allowed in, so only a few from this board then.
  • Sponsored links:

• it didn't sell, most bidders dropped out at the £50,000 mark,
  • A "Charltonlife Pub" how many of us at 5oo quid? Henry you do the maths ;)
  • Horse & Groom also

So has not been sold to a church

E buy the Horse instead fella ;-)
  • I would be well up for jacking my job and running a pub, and a pub like that properly. Can't see a lot of mid-week trade going through the place though
  • Bidding closed at £67K
    Apparently two parties interested.
    One with cash, other through loans.
    Apparently going to play them off against each other.
    They were asking for £80K
  • 80k for a leasehold there? Mugs
  • Difficult to make a shilling in the pub trade these days. One of my cousins has a big boozer and its also a carvery , always seems to be doing well but she wants out big time---to much grief.

Can be done though if you can find a niche. Most pubs dont have 22 days a year when they know that they will be busy. Put on a band once a month.Ladies nites,quiz nights,pool nights. Sunday lunch--------------------dame hard work but you can make a living ---not an easy one.

Surely there must be a time soon when so many pubs have closed that the clients who want a beer will have little choice of where to go, maybe then thats how you make your money.

The PUB a great British instition--- a working man/womans bolt hole---- a comunity gathering place------killed by the Party who are SUPPOSED to represent the working man !
  • [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]A "Charltonlife Pub" how many of us at 5oo quid? Henry you do the maths ;)

I think : - )
  • The PUB a great British instition--- a working man/womans bolt hole---- a comunity gathering place------killed by the Party who are SUPPOSED to represent the working man[/quote]

Pubs need to reinvent themselves. The reason so many are closing on a daily basis is not just due to the prices, although fewer and fewer people can afford to "live in the pub" as they once did. People don't drink during work lunchtimes anymore. The Sunday lunchtime tradition is dying out and youngsters don't gravitate to the pub anymore once they old enough to get served. When was the last time you laughed in a pub at the sight of someone hopelessly under-aged braving the bar to ask for a drink. It just doesn't happen anymore. I think it's pushing it to blame the Labour party for this one.
  • no its not-- who continues to put up the price on booze then ? The LVA have repeatidly asked for help and have been knocked back by this Gov. Yes true peoples drinking hadits have changed,but they have done f**k all to help.