Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Valley late 1980's photos

DA9DA9
edited January 2009 in General Charlton
Just reminds me of how far we really have come

Derelict

Comments

• Never get bored of those old pics.
  • got one of the Covered end at a open day was gutted brought my Olpmpus trip 35 down and forgot to put a new film in so only got the one around 80-81

Ill dig it out and scan it
  • Looking at the photos of the Covered End and the Jimmy Seed - it was lucky the Millwall fans didn't turn up for their regular Saturday fun ripping out all those rows of fading red seats.

The pitch has been well cared for by then and the old grandstand levelled - not like the late 80's Valley I remember with all the bushes and scrub over the pitch area - so maybe it was about early 1991?
  • I see the away end hasn't changed then!
  • edited January 2009
    Have you seen this? Old cine footage...

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-5621451409608521680

quite nice with the sound too
  • Memories eh? What a distance the club has travelled?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Memories eh? What a distance the club has travelled?[/quote]

Nah mate its still in the same place ;-)
  • Why was the west part of the ground flattened?
  • You know, Id quite forgotten that we put seats in the covered end.....and put a new roof on the old west stand.

That video footage is excellent.....that was my Valley
  • [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]Why was the west part of the ground flattened?

To build the new 'temporary' west stand, of course . ;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]Why was the west part of the ground flattened?

To build the new 'temporary' west stand, of course . ;o)

Oh right, when did they knock down the old one?
  • edited January 2009
    That went around 1990. The old west stand was damaged by fire, caused by various vandals, thugs & 'travelling people' in our time away. As the stand was largely a wooden structure, it was too badly damaged for it to be restored/re-used.
  • The old West Stand - or the Grandstand as it used to be known when I first went down The Valley.
    Wasn't it bought second-hand from Aldershot or someone about 1933 ..... .?

I remember the old 4-gabled roof, with the letters CAFC on each gable facing the pitch.
  • Shame, I liked the look of the West Stand and have seen photos of the CAFC roof, a bit different to todays two tier job.
  • [cite]Posted By: chablis addick[/cite]Have you seen this? Old cine footage...

Played there when it was like that and have played there recently.
  • Amazing bit of film the memories flood back
  • I still get goosebumps when I see the old east stand.

Standing on it, amongst the monkey nut shells, it felt like it went on forever.

And remembering the hoards of Spurs fans who appeared from nowhere like blood thirsty zombies!!!!!

Those were the days eh ;-)
  • Yes, LittleSis, for many years before and after my mis-spent Covered End days, stood in the same spot half-way up near the half-way line with Dad, Uncles, mates, etc - proper knot of us every single match.

Once or twice, sat at the very top (plenty of room, lol) - and to use the old cliche, the view from the top was awesome.
    At least we thought so as kids!

"Peanuts, tanner a bag!"
  • [cite]Posted By: chablis addick[/cite]Have you seen this? Old cine footage...

1979 was the year they built the Jimmy Seed stand - and re-roofed the old Grandstand.

So the film commemorated what must have then been the first major ground improvements since between the Wars,
    for around 45 years.