Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Collins John on trial, Mikkel Jensen released

edited January 2009 in General Charlton
According to Sky Sports
Charlton have handed a trial to former Holland international striker Collins John.

The 23-year-old, who has two caps for his country, has been told by NEC Nijmegen that he is free to leave.

His registration is still held by Fulham, who had loaned him to their Eredivisie counterparts on the summer transfer deadline day.

The Liberia-born frontman struggled to make at impact at NEC, with the Dutch side claiming his fitness levels were not up to first team football.

Should he impress during his time at The Valley the Championship strugglers will have the option to sign John on a free transfer.

Meanwhile, Charlton have allowed Mikkel Rygaard Jensen to leave the club.

The 18-year-old was handed a two-year contract upon his arrival from Herfolge last summer, but has lasted just six months.

He is now heading back to his former employers, with the Danish outfit delighted to have the talented midfielder back.

Grown

"Mikkel was a very talented player when he left us and having seen what he has done at Charlton it's clear that he has grown even more," Herfolge manager Per Rud told the club's official website.

"We were happy to take him back when the situation appeared."

Jensen has no regrets about taking on an English challenge and believes he has plenty of positives to take from the experience.

"It was really educational to be in England," he said.

"From a personal point of view, it is good to stand on your own two feet and I am really happy I got the chance.

"I have learnt to play faster and I am stronger physically.

"It's been a turbulent time for the club, though, and there was a lot I had to get used to. I am now looking forward to playing every weekend again."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11684_4874396,00.html

Wasn't long ago he was playing in the Prem, must be really struggling.

I wouldn't mind another striker if we can afford it, even though Dickson deserves a few starts. I doubt Fleetwood will be good enough, doesn't look like Todorov will play.

Comments

• Just seen this has been posted in rumours.

Anyway, Mikkel Jensen leaving has been confirmed on Herfolge's website.

He was actually he since the summer before last, so has been here 18 months.
  • 'Collins is far more better than the Championship and div 1. He wont want to sign for us.' :-)
  • I understand this has now ended.
  • Google translation of report on Dutch club site. Oh well I tried!

NEC train already a week without Collins John. The Nijmegenaren refused react earlier still to the tales on the attacker, but now appear that the person whose birthday it isperson whose birthday it is person whose birthday it is former youth international is already for a week on test at the English championship club Charlton Athletic. That communicates Gelderland Friday afternoon to broadcasting. John became at the beginning of this season on hiring basis taken over of Fulham, but could NEC-trainer Mario persuade leg. Not in the last place because of its moderate physical gesteldheid. Collins John are not able are ninety minutes play soccer. And that is nevertheless it lowest what we expect of our players, therefore also of him, this way told technical director Carlos Aalbers recently in the Gelderlander. Aalbers denied in datzelfde question conversation which NEC of pointed finished wants, but with the test period in United Kingdom those words seem have become worthless. In sum John took part in until now seven duels in the head power of the Gelderse club, and were in this one time (against Udinese) accurate.
  • whos birthday is it? :-)
  • "Mikkel was a very talented player when he left us and having seen what he has done at Charlton it's clear that he has grown even more," Herfolge manager Per Rud told the club's official website.

Does Stevie Wonder do their scouting??
  • I'd love CJ to sign, but can't see it. He was training with us at the start of the week wasn't he?
    Collins John are not able are ninety minutes play soccer
    sounds good though.
  • Is he related to the Scottish player John Collins?
  • [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]"Mikkel was a very talented player when he left us and having seen what he has done at Charlton it's clear that he has grown even more," Herfolge manager Per Rud told the club's official website.

No, ours.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I understand this has now ended.

Is this the trial or general interest in the player?
  • Sponsored links:

• Collins John is a very very good player IMO.

I hope this one works out
  • [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]"Mikkel was a very talented player when he left us and having seen what he has done at Charlton it's clear that he has grown even more," Herfolge manager Per Rud told the club's official website.

No, ours.
    Apparently so!
  • But his name is the wrong way round!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Is he related to the Scottish player John Collins?

No, but i am. A second cousin or something like that :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I understand this has now ended.

Is this the trial or general interest in the player?

both
  • edited January 2009
    If so i hope we're still looking for another striker but i suppose the focus will be on defence.
  • Collins John is a good player at this level and would be excellent at League 1 if we could sign him permanently but surprised if he dropped that low. Thought Mikkel was only ever bought in to keep Christensen company...with him gone maybe Christensen will bugger off too.
  • Just found out that we should be getting 50% of the next sale, so at least if Jensen does well we should get something out of it, though initially it's a free transfer.
  • edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Just found out that we should be getting 50% of the next sale, so at least if Jensen does well we should get something out of it, though initially it's a free transfer.

That's something then but I though Jensen looked good in pre-season, admittedly against poor opposition. Shame to see him go.

Collins John seems to have lost his way a bit. Certainly look a prospect a few years ago but now....

Just shows how easy it is for players to be on the cusp of a good career one minute and scrabbling around for a club the next.
  • Who was that against? Can't remember if I saw him play or not.

Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't think he was strong enough for English football, he never went out on loan and that side of his game was meant to be his weakness.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've seen Jensen play a few times for the U-18s and the reserves - looked adequate at best IMHO.
    Now Sam Long has been converted from full-back to wide midfield, and is a better player, not much scope for Mikkel
  • I thought Sam Long looked like he'd be better off as a full back. Saw him last year in the youth cup at left back, did well enough, against Spurs in the youth cup, he played right midfield and didn't stand out at all. Nothing special on the ball but hard working and decent defensively.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]I thought Sam Long looked like he'd be better off as a full back. Saw him last year in the youth cup at left back, did well enough, against Spurs in the youth cup, he played right midfield and didn't stand out at all. Nothing special on the ball but hard working and decent defensively.[/quote]

Disagree. I thought Sam was very good in defence but he has become an exciting attacking midfielder this season - he always looks the most likely to score in the U18s games (mind you , like the 1st team, our young attackers aren't up to much)
  • Fair enough I've only seen him in midfield once. He did have a few chances to score, and didn't do too badly but they were saved. Definitely looked more Kishishev/Robinson than Lloyd Sam/Jerome Thomas to me, hard working and reliable rather than exciting and skillful.