Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Bearded Wonder RIP

Just announced on BBC Radio news

Yet another broadcasting legend goes

RIP, Bill

Comments

• Bill Frindall?
  • Bill Frindall, part of the Test Match Special Team for many years. His knowledge and supply of stats were the oil that kept TMS running, apparently his scorebooks were a work of art in themselves.
  • edited January 2009
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/7861363.stm

Very sad RIP

TMS will not be the same.
  • I was saddened to hear that news, RIP, a true ledge of the game.
  • RIP Bill.

The grim reaper is scything his way through the old-school commentator world at the moment :(
  • Irreplaceable really? I'll miss the wind-ups and hearing him chuckling in the background. RIP Bill.
  • He had a relatively young daughter as well, real shame TMS will not be the same, thoughts with his family.
  • Jonathan Agnew summed him perfectly...

"He brought scoring alive. This is what Bill will always be remembered for. The weird world of cricket scoring to many people is incredibly dull but Bill made it interesting, he made it lively."
  • An old girlfriend of mine, exasperated by my love of cricket, once wrote a poem (or piece of dogerrel) which began:

"Oh my god, what a bore, cricket statistics by the score...''

She was so wrong. I finished with her immediately as I had no desire to spend any time with someone who thought cricket stats were boring, whatever her other charms were. Can't remember the rest of the poem, it was too many decades ago. But I reckon old Bill would have had a wry chuckle at that first line...

RIP, BIll, at your close of play. Splendid innings.
  • Sponsored links:

• He could be snobby, he could be aloof and sometines even rude, but I never remember him being wrong in the 30 odd years I've been listening to TMS.
    A true legend and a loss to the world of cricket as a whole.

I'd say he was irreplacable.
  • 69 and out.

RIP the Bearded Wonder.

From his debut in 1966 he didn't miss a single Test in the UK.
  • Gone to have a pint with Johnners...what a team they were.
    RIP old son..RIP.
  • BDLBDL
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Gone to have a pint with Johnners...what a team they were.
    RIP old son..RIP.

I was going to say that, wonder if Jonners has a nice piece of cake ready as well?!?

RIP Bill.
  • RIP Bill,

It's never been quite the same without Johners and now the wonderfull TMS scorer/statistician has gone to the scorebox 'upstairs'

Aggers,Blowers and the rest of the team will, I'm sure, soldier on but it will be a big void to fill for Bill's replacement.
  • Shocked at the news. I have loved cricket ever since I can remember and "Bearders" has been ever present for pretty much all of that time. Incredible that a man, so steeped in the stuffy world of statistics could have become a legend for all cricket fans.

RIP Bearded Wonder
  • Died of Legionnaires Disease, caught from a hotel he was staying at in Dubai apparently. What a shame, the bearded wonder was a legend & will be sadly missed by all cricket followers everywhere. RIP Bill.