Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Top 10 worst refs past and present

AFKA /ADMIN can we have one of your polls (not Graham) for the above.

I'll start it off by nominating my top 3 worst refs.

1. Rob Styles

2. Mike Reilly

3. Graham Poll

I don't think I need to justify these !

Comments

• Options
    kelvin morton
  • Options
    thing with kelvin morton was if we didn't have a game on then it was always worth checking where he was reffing as it was sure to be entertaining
  • Options
    Anyone recall the Charlton-Bolton match from the mid-90s. From memory the referee was Mick Pierce and he booked around 11 players on both sides, inevitably someone was going to get two yellows and the unlucky player was Simon Webster. The match ended 3-3 and we scraped a draw in a match that we'd been winning. So bad was the refereeing performance that when he was booking Steve Brown the Bolton fans started a chant of the "Referee is a wanker", to applause from the home end.
  • Options
    Roger 'mind me hair' Milford. High point of his career was not sending Gazzer off in the Spurs-Forest cup final after that awful tackle on Des Walker 'cos he was stretchered off and Milford admitted later 'I felt sorry for him'.
    There was another Roger who loved to be the star of the show in the '70s/early 80s; short, tubby bloke who was very officious, anyone remember?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Roger 'mind me hair' Milford. High point of his career was not sending Gazzer off in the Spurs-Forest cup final after that awful tackle on Des Walker 'cos he was stretchered off and Milford admitted later 'I felt sorry for him'.
    There was another Roger who loved to be the star of the show in the '70s/early 80s; short, tubby bloke who was very officious, anyone remember?

Roger Fitzpatrick who overall was pretty good. (Had a gay friend called Patrick Fitzroger :-) )
  • Options
    Thanks, that's the chap(s). Yes, now I think about it he did often have a smile on his face (because of the football that is).
  • Options
    Gurnham Singh
    Alf Buksh
    David Axcell (got knocked out by Mark Reid up at Norwich)
    Keith Hackett
    Alan Seville (Gave Arsenal a pen at Highbury for handball no one else saw and then missed Richardson take out Andy Peake
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: addick1965[/cite]Gurnham Singh

Was he the geezer who failed to give a goal at Selhurst that had virtually hit the back of the net? Am I remembering that right?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Les Addicks[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: addick1965[/cite]Gurnham Singh

Was the geezer who failed to give a goal at Selhurst that had virtually hit the back of the net? Am I remembering that right?

if that was the match against sheff wed then that was singh I think .

Kelvin Morton was the ref that gave palace 4 penaltys in one match (of which they missed four) and also once had a fan ejected from his seat at orient cos he was wearing a borusia dortmond shirt which was clashing with the linesmans flag.

He also reffed our match at southend in which he gave two penaltys and sent off Gatting and Curbs
  • Options
    I'm sure there is one candidate who is ready to take over the mantle of total dross - Stuart Atwell. Barely out of his teens he plummeted to new depths while taking charge of our recent match with Palarse. And wasn't he the one responsible for the goal that never was at Reading v Watford. Utter knob !!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm going to stop reading this thread as it's giving me shivers down the spine thinking about what standard of ref'ing we'll get next year...
  • Options
    Gurnham Singh and Kelvin Morton - makes my blood boil just reading their names....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Roger 'mind me hair' Milford. High point of his career was not sending Gazzer off in the Spurs-Forest cup final after that awful tackle on Des Walker 'cos he was stretchered off and Milford admitted later 'I felt sorry for him'.

In that game Gazza's first challenge was against Garry Parker, the Forest midfielder, who Gazza basically booted in the chest as he followed through in a tackle.

Should have been sent off for that.

The second challenge was when he somehow found himself playing at centre-half and he absolutely scythed down Gary Charles as the Forest full-back cut infield.

Should have been sent off for that too!!!!
  • Options
    Kelvin Morton
    Alan Sevile
    Gurnam Singh
    Steve Bennett
    Rob Styles
    Mike Riley
    Mick Pierce
    Kevin Lynch
    Andy d'Urso
  • Options
    All the 'M' s for me - Morton, Milford and Midgely.

Although to be fair to Morton, I do remember him giving us a penalty against Man U at Selhurst . I think it was the only pen. we got all season and we won the game one-nil.

Probably wasn't a penalty - I seem to remember it was the sort of tug on the shirt that goes unpunished nine times out of ten. But I've always been grateful!
  • Options
    Has Uriah Rennie slipped through the net?
  • Options
    Styles for me.

He booked 6 of our players and a few of Plymouths yet completely ignored a tackle from behind which effectively finished Todorov's career despite being well placed to see it!

Madness and totally incomprehensible to me.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Currently Rob Styles with Phil Dowd a close second.

From years past Barry Knight had one of the most notoriously bad games in history in a Bolton v Ipswich play-off game
  • Options
    Stephen Attwell !!!
  • Options
    I liked Rennie. Always seemed to call it straight and not a big club man
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]

Roger Fitzpatrick who overall was pretty good. (Had a gay friend called Patrick Fitzroger :-) )

It was actually Roger Kirkpatrick, used to run faster backwards than he did forwards as I recall.

Milford was a preening prick, ask Kevin Nolan about Roger an watch him explode!

A friend who works for the club had stopped of at a roadside eaterie on the way home from the Southend game, and they were discussing Kelvin Mortons usual debacle of a refereeing performance in words of less than one syllable, when a bloke sitting nearby overhead them and said "oh, were you at the game"? Step forward Kelvin himself...

He is now a referees assessor, and quite regularly does the job at Charlton games. My mate gets on very well with him and is pretty sure he does not associate him with the "Southend Happy Eater incident". I met him when we were back in the UK and managed not to punch him (Kelvin, not my mate), despite lifetime promises made after he awarded Palace a free kick in the area in a cup game- from which they scored - for a so called back pass, when Darren Pitcher scuffed a clearance from just inside our area about forty feet in the air and Salmon (I think) caught it.

A couple of honourable mentions, not Charlton related, go to David Ellerry for disallowing a goal scored by Chesterfield in their FA cup semi against Middesbrough, which would have almost certainly seen them reach the final. Even he could not come up with an explanation why he had disallowed it.

And another FA cup semi - Everton v Luton - where the Hatters were cruising to a well deserved 1-0 win (without Southall it would have been all over by half time), when with seconds to go John Martin awarded a free kick for a foul by Steve Foster on Graham Sharpe. The photo in the papers the next day showed what we had all seen, a two foot gap between the players as they went up for a header - I don't think they actually touched each other at all, Sharpe just fell awkwardly, and Martin saw the opportunity to help the "big club" out.
  • Options
    And despite what Lennie Lawrence said at the time in his defence, Mark Reid definitely shoved David Axcell on purpose after he allowed that Wayne Biggins goal which didn't cross the line. Actually thought Axcell was a good ref. Liked Milford too and the bloke who did the play-offs with Leeds (he let everything go...brilliant!)

The nightmare man was Alf Buksh. What about that last minute pen at Orient?! I know we were crap but c'mon Alf, hold your hands up, that was dog sh*t with a hat on!
  • Options
    What about Mark Clattenburg and his disgusting performance when we were at home to Arsenal a few years ago. Not one free kick given to us for the first twenty minutes, should have sent off Van Persie, Should have awarded us a penalty for deliberate handball by Gallas.... how I hated that man!
  • Options
    Graham Barber - Poll.
    Jeff Winter
    Styles

The best of recent times was I think was Paul Durkin.

It's difficult to judge the likes of Jack Taylor, Keith Hackett and Clive Thomas etc as although were well known they just didn't have the exposure that they do these days.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BexleyRed[/cite]What about Mark Clattenburg and his disgusting performance when we were at home to Arsenal a few years ago. Not one free kick given to us for the first twenty minutes, should have sent off Van Persie, Should have awarded us a penalty for deliberate handball by Gallas.... how I hated that man!

He would get my vote for this game alone, but remember he also failed to give a goal at old trafford when Spurs had it about 3 yards over the line and presided over a Merseyside derby in which he cheated on behalf of Liverpool from the kick off. I presume he's taking bribes because in all of those three games mere stupidity and incompetence could not explain his actions.

Poll is the obvious classic - a man that believed he was the star, but wasn't actually fit to do the job. Ellery, who was a limp prick who loved to throw his weight around with grown adults. Then there's Steve Bennett. His failure to send off Ashley Cole in that game for Chelsea the other year, when Cole refused to come to him for his deserved caution was the most pathetic interaction I've seen between two adults. Rennie was rubbish too. A lot of them are just sad little men who enjoy having 90 minutes where people have to pay attention to them.
  • Options
    Wasn't it Mick pierce who did our 2-1 defeat at Man City in '96? He gave a penalty when Dickov ran straight into one of our defenders near the touchline (yes, it was that far out of the area in the 85th min with us 1-0 up and then gave a City a free kick on the edge of the box after Kinkladze had tumbled over his umpteenth non challenge. Creaney smashed the ball in to the net to hand the game to City 2-1. The ironic footnote to all this was that the ref had been driven to the game by a Charlton fan as he was a mate- that must've been an interesting journey home!