Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Too many Foreign players

edited August 2006 in General Charlton
Are we signing too many foreigners?

A lot of people used to moan that we were not using youngsters under Curbs now Dowie is signing more foreign players than ever and then sends one youngster we have on loan.

Is it a good thing I dunno? He seemed to do the same Palarse and look what happened to them.

I am not moaning about Dowie I like the look of him and he impresses me every time I hear him speak etc but just seems he is going down the wrong route.

Hopefully these foreign players will prove me wrong. I haven't seem any of them play yet apart from JFH

Comments

• Options
    Maybe we just have to accept that either:

1.) The young players are just not good enough

or

2.) The ones that are good enough are way out of our price range
  • Options
    I think WSS sums it up well. Ideally we would be going down a different route, but the valuations have been blown out of proportion.

Hopefully this is a transition period for the whole club, and not a long-term policy. I hope the intention is to currently seek better quality at realistic valuations from abroad, with the concentration on the youth policy bearing results in 2-5 years time.
  • Options
    Whilst I sympathise with the sentiment we have to recognise that the journos on the official site and in the programme do tend to trade in superlatives and hyperbole when analysing our young players.

As a result the "prolific" Charlie Macdonald and Leigh Hales are respectively playing in the conference and out of the game.

Getting a little more recent the "tough tackling midfield enforcer" Barry Fuller is also in the conference and the "Sheringham like" Alex Varney is God knows where!

In other words we need to take a large pinch of the white stuff (salt Ketman:-) ) before getting excited about our youngsters.

Sadly we therefore have little option but to trade in foreign players.
  • Options
    Did we not pay Leeds £1m for Walton someone who has played exactly how many Professional Games something like 15. I would imagine the initial payments for Traore & Faye Experienced foreign internationals was something similar. It's simply cost.
  • Options
    Arfur I can't believe you said you like the look of Dowie! I think his management has been OK so far but his look??

I think we would all prefer more Andy Reid's in the side, but as Ketman pointed out look at the price differential, a potential 3 million for Reid. 2 million for Traore and Faye if all the add ons are paid for all 3 players. I know Reid is a bit younger but he has hardly set the premiership alight yet. Where as Faye and Traore have both had their detractors but have had successful spells at their previous clubs.

I think I have just repeated what Ketman said.........