Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pompey Sack Adams

To be annouced in the morning according to Mr Smug on MOTD2 tonight. He Curbs, on the sofa, the chance to either rule himself in or out. He declined to do either. However after last weeks story he must be looking one of the favouties.
Tough job to take on board I'd say.

Comments

• Options
    No tougher than any other job. West Ham were in a more precarious position while Curbishley was in charge. Portsmouth are not quite in the drop zone, & they have some quality players. A bit of better organisation than Adams can provide, & they will be out of danger.
  • Options
    Curbs had loads of money at WHU, Pompey have nothing.
  • Options
    He works magic on a budget don't you know.
  • Options
    They can't sign anyone now, but the players they do have, should have the ability to get out of their slump. They do have a fair bit of cash though, from the sale of Diarra(£20million apparantly) & Defoe. The chairman would know that any boss coming in would want cash in the summer, if they stay up, so he would get a fair chunk I'm sure, were he to go there.
  • Options
    They just secured Greek midfielder Aggelos Basinas who was the best on ground for them against Liverscum and also Greek striker Theofanis Gekas, the bundesliga's leading scorer in 06-07.
  • Options
    This will be a very tricky choice for Curbs, does he swallow his pride and take a job that he probably feels is a step backward or does he hang on for a better job down the track.

I think he deserves better than Pompey in their current plight but I don't think he will get offered any better at the moment.

Maybe Boro would be another option in a couple of weeks but, in all honesty, are they much better than we were?
  • Options
    Curbs will be seen as the man to save teams from relegation

and any moves to teams outside the top 8 would be pointless for his rep, However is Curbs ever going to be offered a job in the top 8 no so he might as well just come home to us
  • Options
    Adams was always on a hiding to nothing. 'arry had already taken Pompey to the "top" and once he went the likes of Judas were always going to leave too.
  • Options
    I'll stick with what i thought six months ago, Curbs next job will be Ipswich.

With previous time there, Pompey has Avram Grant written all over it
  • Options
    Was there not a story in a national newspaper last week, claiming Curbs. was lined up to take over from Adams. Which led to strenuous denials from both parties and threats of legal action?
    It would be mighty embarrassing for both parties if Curbs does indeed roll up at Portsmouth this week!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I'll stick with what i thought six months ago, Curbs next job will be Ipswich.

Could well be the case but its a hell of a risk for both parties.

Grant must know Pompey are skint and the owner is selling and Pompey must fear that Grant's success at Chelsea was really with Mourinho's team.

Plus, of course, if they did go down then Grant is obviously not a CCC manager!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stefco[/cite]They can't sign anyone now, but the players they do have, should have the ability to get out of their slump. They do have a fair bit of cash though, from the sale of Diarra(£20million apparantly) & Defoe. The chairman would know that any boss coming in would want cash in the summer, if they stay up, so he would get a fair chunk I'm sure, were he to go there.

Portsmouth are skint. Harry knew that and that's one of the reasons why he went, getting in players on big wages when they didn't have a big income, they have the premier leagues smallest ground. They sold Muntari, Diarra and Defoe and haven't really spent much of it because the owner wants to sell up. As has been said by others, Adams was on a hiding to nothing, especially after Harry won them the cup and got them into Europe.
  • Options
    Pompey are in decline, Redknapp basically made them what they are today he got them as far as they could so it's all downhill from here for them.
  • Options
    On Talksport this morning they mentioned, the one, the only, a Mr A.Pardew was a name rumoured to be linked.

No chance.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Confirmed on BBC.

Didn't give him much of a chance but I doubt Pompey will get the stick we did for sacking Dowie.

I'd have thought Pardew would jump at the chance of being manager there but doubt he will have the option.

Also puts a spanner in the chances of getting any more loans from Pompey this week.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Pompey are in decline, Redknapp basically made them what they are today he got them as far as they could so it's all downhill from here for them.

I don't really understand this adulation of Redknapp. League position is one thing - but at what cost? He has a history of leaving clubs in a state of financial mayhem (West Ham, Southampton and Portsmouth) largely because his 'success' has been achieved on the back of outlandish wages being paid. Fair play to him - he did very well in getting Portsmouth promoted and established in the Premier League, but his approach is not sustainable.

Redknapp's skill is knowing the right time to get out.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It's called "just in time" management.
  • Options
    Portsmouth are the new Charlton!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Curbs had loads of money at WHU, Pompey have nothing.

As far as this season goes it's irrelevant how much money they have - the transfer window has shut.

Curbs or whoever takes on the job has to work with the players that Adams left.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]'' feels is a step backward

Step Backward , Portsea Island is a veritable Timewarp.

But the word down here (in Hants)is Curbs is a nailed on cert.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think he (Curbs) should wait for the Newcastle job.
  • Options
    poor ole Tony.

Made to sell £35m worth of talent in diarra and judas and is given £1m to spend.

Think that tells it's own story.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stefco[/cite]No tougher than any other job. West Ham were in a more precarious position while Curbishley was in charge. Portsmouth are not quite in the drop zone, & they have some quality players. A bit of better organisation than Adams can provide, & they will be out of danger.

West Ham were not in the relegation zone either when Curbs took them over.
  • Options
    Curbs nailed on for the job surely?

Will be very interesting to see how he does there.

No Tevez to save him at Fratton - he's got Crouch and Kanu though! LOL!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Curbs had loads of money at WHU, Pompey have nothing.

As far as this season goes it's irrelevant how much money they have - the transfer window has shut.

Curbs or whoever takes on the job has to work with the players that Adams left.

Plus loans
  • Options
    [/quote]

Plus loans[/quote]

Yep, to be fair they can loan players, and Pompey have gotten rid of Traore so things are already looking better.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I'll stick with what i thought six months ago, Curbs next job will be Ipswich.

Could well be the case but its a hell of a risk for both parties.

Grant must know Pompey are skint and the owner is selling and Pompey must fear that Grant's success at Chelsea was really with Mourinho's team.

Plus, of course, if they did go down then Grant is obviously not a CCC manager!!!

Oh well if they do get relegated, Pardew could do a job "Did I ever tell you I got West Ham promoted and to an FA Cup final"
  • Options
    If you think our £21m debt is bad, I heard today that Pompey are £96m in the red. They're not the new Charlton, more like the new Leeds UTD
  • Options
    If they sink, they're SUNK.