Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Beckham. Worth his place or not?

Personally it saddened me to see him equal Moore's record last night. I know things are different these days but really, he’s not fit to be mentioned in the same breath as one of the best defenders to ever play the game. How he's equalled the record tells us more about the state of English football than Beckhams ability IMO. Okay a nice through ball for Carlton Cole last night but for me all the weaknesses are still there in his game, as they’ve always been, except now his legs have gone as well. Make last night the last time please Fabio.

Comments

• Nope i believe as long as he's putting those balls through to players and has been celebrated as AC milans best player in recent weeks he deserves a place!
  • He was our best player last night. Created our two main chances, definitely still got a lot to offer.
  • He's better than downing!
  • Lloyd Sam's better than downing - or do I just Hate Steve Downing?
  • WSSWSS
    edited February 2009
    SWP looked fancy now and again but i'd put Beckham ahead of him and every other English right sided winger at the moment. He is too good not to.

As for the Moore/Beckham debate - I never saw Moore play so only make comments based on his "legend" status. On an international scale, Becks will never be mentioned in the same breath unless somehow he is still around next year and we end up winning the WC with his great free kick against Togo in the final.

His ability and influence cannot be denied, Man U struggled (!) after he left until Ronaldo filled his potential, he pushed Real Madrid to the title once he was recalled (by Capello) and his domestic honours are far superior to that of Moore's.

In the end 108 is just a number but that are both excellent footballers and great ambassadors (i'd rate Beckham higher than Moore here) for the English game.
  • [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Lloyd Sam's better than downing - or do I just Hate Steve Downing?

Think they are both crap but Sam is just about better!

As for Beckham, should still be in the team & I think he has so many caps because he has consistently been our best player for the last decade! There is no other English player that can pick out passes, etc like him. There are still probably not that many in the world!
  • SWP, Lennon, Walcott, Downing, Bentley are still no better. His set pieces, crossing, vision and passing is by far better than any of them.
  • I think he is great and showed his passion and skill in equal measure.

BTW Could Moore play in todays game, he was slow as a donkey so I doubt he would be the player he was!!!
  • in the squad 1000% yes no brainer.

As a starter no - good to have on the bench as an impact sub if needed.
  • Bobby Moore was a world class defender. Beckham is an attacking midfielder. So there is no direct comparison.
    Beck's should remain in the squad. Last night he was our best player and made Downing look what he is..average.
  • Sponsored links:

• As an Irishman looking in, I have always thought Becks was the best player you've had for several years and there were spells when i thought he carried the rest of the team. Whatever about the hype around him, and the money he earns, i've never seen him look like he didn't care in an England shirt and there's not many recent players who i feel have contributed as much in the recent period of English football. He doesn't have any international silverware yet, but surely that can't be solely placed on him. I think England will probably appreciate what they had with him once he's off the scene.
  • Gotta keep him in.

Yum.

i know little sis will be turning nose up - too pretty. but still i bet you would!
  • edited February 2009
    I wouldn't to be honest! I'd need at least £1.56

But he is a dishy dish.
  • IMO is still one of the best player's in the team, can still pass the ball as well as anyone in the game and deserves everyone of his 108 caps, great ambassador to the game, the only problem I have is that he may not be around in 2010, so maybe we should start building towards South Africa, but I expect he should still make the squad because as mart says he is an inspiration to all the players and is a great leader of men, would be bizarre to leave him out IMO.
  • in, all day long thanks. Becks is class.

So Les looks like you on your own mate.
  • Bobby Moore - 108 Caps - 108 complete games
    David Beckham - 108 Caps - 54 complete games
    Mind you, subs are allowed now ;-)
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]SWP looked fancy now and again but i'd put Beckham ahead of him and every other English right sided winger at the moment. He is too good not to.

As for the Moore/Beckham debate - I never saw Moore play so only make comments based on his "legend" status. On an international scale, Becks will never be mentioned in the same breath unless somehow he is still around next year and we end up winning the WC with his great free kick against Togo in the final.

His ability and influence cannot be denied, Man U struggled (!) after he left until Ronaldo filled his potential, he pushed Real Madrid to the title once he was recalled (by Capello) and his domestic honours are far superior to that of Moore's.

In the end 108 is just a number but that are both excellent footballers and great ambassadors (i'd rate Beckham higher than Moore here) for the English game.[/quote]

great post - Beckham 100% yes, the thing wrong wtih English football is that nobody is good enough at the moment to replace him...as a passer of the ball and from set pieces, nobody can touch him
  • David Beckham is there on merit if the clown with the umbrella had not tried to use him as a sign of his strength Becks would have smashed Moores record by now.

David Beckham Is and Has been for ages one of the only players in the team that could walk into virtually any side in the world.

He left for the US of A due to mclaren being such a prick that he thought his chance would never come again

Long live David Beckham the true Outfield King of English football plus all those Hamsters must be gutted
  • even tho last night was just a friendly just after we went 1 down the camera panned to the bench and beckham looked well pissed off while robert green was just laughing away...
    the bloke is class
  • Beckham played well & deserves his place. 100% committed & a legend as an England player. Enormous respect to the guy !
  • Sponsored links:

• if ever a man settled down too early in life it's this fella ... i mean the poonani he has missed out on omg omg omg
  • Just me then :-P

For me he still can't head, tackle, beat his man, remain in his position, track back like he used to, complete 90 minutes, be relied on not to get sent off or beat the first man with more than 75% of his set pieces...and he will be how old by the next tournament?

I'll get me coat.
  • My tuppencworth is that on the wing is not his place now, infront of the back four hanginging around the centre spot to pass the ball out wide and through the middle would be an awsome place for him.

James

Cole Ferdinand Terry Johnson

Beckham

phillips gerread lampard cole/downing/young

Rooney

Defoe/Owen/ etc..
  • sorry les it looks like you are alone mate

yo must either have the best eyes for picking a player or truly one of the worst ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]sorry les it looks like you are alone mate

yo must either have the best eyes for picking a player or truly one of the worst ;-)

LOL I see what you mean. Just never rated him as the world beater that the press have made him out to be and most people have swallowed it. A good player yes, maybe even very good for a couple of years, but never a great player IMHO hence the comparison to Moore rankles a bit. Stick a face on him like Bowyers and he'd have nowhere near the caps he has but the press turned him into an untouchable icon.

As for all this tosh about walking into any team in the world too...he wasn't even the best player at United...to paraphrase John Lennon.
  • He is there on merit, Capello would not pick him otherwise.

Worth his place as far as I am concerned. The run and through ball to Cole was the one bit of class from us last night.
  • SE7SE7
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Les Addicks[/cite]Just me then :-P
    be relied on not to get sent off or beat the first man with more than 75% of his set pieces...and he will be how old by the next tournament?

Total bulls***, his last red card was in 98, get over it, and I'm sorry 75%, where is the reasoning in that, the boy's a genius in a dead ball situation, IMO there is no other player in the squad who is more proud to play for England and wear the 3 lions on the shirt than DB, he has fought his way back into the squad brilliantly following McLaren, most players would have retired, and despite playing in a mickey mouse league, and if he can play 90 mins for Milan I'm sure he can play 90 for England, so Les I'm sorry grab your coat and shut the door on your way out, DONE! :)
  • He's worth his palce in the squad, but not as a starter.

Soon Capello will have to make a choice - SWP I think will be a starter on the right and the choice is going to Beckham, Milner and Bentley to contest the last squad place. As the latter two aren't fit then Beckham gets the nod.

As for Beckham or Moore, I think that's a false comparison, different players, different eras and different positions.
  • [cite]Posted By: SE7[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Les Addicks[/cite]Just me then :-P
    be relied on not to get sent off or beat the first man with more than 75% of his set pieces...and he will be how old by the next tournament?

Total bulls***, his last red card was in 98, get over it, and I'm sorry 75%, where is the reasoning in that, the boy's a genius in a dead ball situation, IMO there is no other player in the squad who is more proud to play for England and wear the 3 lions on the shirt than DB, he has fought his way back into the squad brilliantly following McLaren, most players would have retired, and despite playing in a mickey mouse league, and if he can play 90 mins for Milan I'm sure he can play 90 for England, so Les I'm sorry grab your coat and shut the door on your way out, DONE! :)

Thats my point really. Because of the hype and badge kissing with him what he actually brings to the team is often overlooked. We wasted a generation of potentially very good players because successive managers have always accomodated him to the detriment of the overall. You can do that with a Zidane or Maradona but Beckham's so far away from that quality of player.

Anyway, me coats on and I'm out of here...
  • We wasted a generation of potentially very good players because successive managers have always accomodated him to the detriment of the overall.

We wasted a generation of players because of poor management, part of which was an over-obsession with playing Beckham when it unbalanced the team, but also in insisting on for example continuing to select Gerrard and Lampard together when it was obvious that they couldn't play in the same team. Earlier there was an obsession with picking Emile Heskey and latterly with Peter Crouch, strange how once those two left Liverpool that their England careers immediately tailed off...

Bear in mind SGE's lunatic decision at the last World Cup to take one forward in Rooney who was still injured, one forward in Owen who was just back after a long injury lay-off, the 17 year old Walcott and Peter Crouch. That had nothing to do with Beckham.