Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bye bye U18's

edited February 2009 in General Charlton
I heard last night that only 2 of the U18's in their 2nd year were given Pro contracts, the left back & captain, the rest have been told they can leave including Ben Godfrey who's been doing great in the reserves.

Real shame for these kids, best of luck for the future.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2009
    Tough on those let go if true but this seems about par for the course. 2 or 3 of the U18s getting a pro-contract every year plus we all hope Shelvey.

So who's staying? Is the Left Back Jack Clark? Who is the Captain?
  • Options
    Ketchup?

Fact of life though with the youngsters - not many get pro contracts year on year.
  • Options
    Some of the ones not given contracts will go on to make it though and people will be on here in 2-3 years time saying we should never have let them go
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Some of the ones not given contracts will go on to make it though and people will be on here in 2-3 years time saying we should never have let them go

Sad fact of life is that we cannot afford to have the ones that would be a gamble stay unless we could guarantee they would all go out on loan so a third party would pick up some of the burden. It gives those we are unsure about a better chance
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Some of the ones not given contracts will go on to make it though and people will be on here in 2-3 years time saying we should never have let them go

They'll be generally a lot more young players let go this year, especially from desperate cash strapped clubs

Young players mature at different times, so it'll be a shame if the late developers don't get a chance.

But if they are committed, determined and get the necessary 'lucky' break - then they've still got a chance of coming through.
    It may depend on just how much they want it.
  • Options
    Have watched various programs in the past about youth players and what happens after they are released. A lot just give up and move on to the normal world and in a way this is a testimony to why they did not make it. its not just about skill and ability, its about personality, commitment and drive.

Its really sad for them as at 18 suddenly the world that they always dreamed about comes shattering down and instead of dreaming of Real Madrid they are dreaming of Scunthorpe at best. For most of us its our forties when we re adjust our sights.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Very true. I do cringe when I hear fans saying "get rid, he's rubbish, not good enough for us" as though players, especially kids, are just worn out shirts that you throw out.
  • Options
    Glenn Hoddle could be the answer.

Link
  • Options
    Very few youth players make it all the way.

I have every confidence in Steve Gritt's judgement.

Let's be honest given our poor form, both first team and reserves, any half decent youngster has had every opportunity to break through this season.
  • Options
    The 'failure' rate is 85% overall. That's a lot of shattered dreams.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Does this mean Mambo No5 is out the door or is he in the next batch?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]Does this mean Mambo No5 is out the door or is he in the next batch?

Mambo is a first year Scholar DOB 22.10.91 so just turned 17 in October.

The second year scholars, according to the yearbook, are

Callum Christie
    Harry Lee
    Jack Clark
    Steve Lorenzo-Calderon
    Taylor Sinfield
    Ben Godfrey
    Sam Long
    Callum O'shea
    Alex Stavrinou

Not clear who the captain is but Clark is a left sided defender from Sidcup.
  • Options
    I think Sam Long is captain.
  • Options
    Two keepers Lee and Christie. I thought Lee was an Irish international.
  • Options
    Sam Long = captain
    Jack Clark = Left Back

Wasn't one of the keepers playing for Arsenal in a few games recently?
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    A shame for Godfrey, although not pacy he is fairly mobile, scores goals and is possibly better judged when he puts a bit of muscle on in the next year or two.

Clark I've been very impressed with. I believe he is genuinely two-footed and looks very composed.
  • Options
    both keepers are fairly solid - from what i've read/heard and on champ?!

but we have two very young keepers at the club who hopefully will be with us for a while yet
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Just had a look on a few u18 match reports and Stavrinou is the captain. I like him, defensive midfielder, tidy and comfortable on the ball. Jack Clark looked ok, only saw him against Spurs though. Has a decent left foot.

Godfrey - Didn't look anything special in a couple of games I saw him in, but not particularly bad either. What's his goalscoring record for the reserves? I don't think it's good and that's probably why they're letting him go.
    Christie - Remember they've seen Randolph and Elliot come through, must have a fair idea how good he is compared to them at his age. Not big for a keeper which doesn't help him.
    Lozano-Calderon - another typical quick and skilful winger, what I've seen it's probably because there's not quite enough about the rest of his game.
    Sam Long - another who isn't bad but nothing special either. Could end up in non-league and work his way up like Barry Fuller.
    Sinfield - Is a year older than Mambo and Jenkinson but they are ahead of him at centre back.
    O'Shea is getting work experience with Cray Wanderers, in the Isthmian Division One league. From what I've read he's only been on the bench for them.
    Harry Lee is getting some games to help out Arsenal as their keepers are injured. If they don't think Christie is good enough to get a pro contract, they probably don't rate Lee either.

By this time in their careers at 17/18 they've got to be pushing into the reserve team. Solly is also in their year but he went pro at 17 like Arter & Wright did and (hopefully) Shelvey will.

And that Glenn Hoddle link - Rhys Coleman (who we released at the end of last season) has gone there. Will be interesting to see if they help him and he proves the club wrong.
  • Options
    Now on OS. Good scoop Reserves

[i]Seventeen-year-old defender Jack Clark - who was last month named in Charlton's first-team squad - and 18-year-old midfielder Alexander Stavrinou will both be offered professional contracts with the Addicks, the club announced on Tuesday.

The duo are among eight members of the club's academy ranks who have recently been told their futures by Steve Gritt.

Second-year scholars Callum Christie, Ben Godfrey, Sam Long, Steve Lozano-Calderon, Callum O'Shea and Taylor Sinfield will all be released at the end of the season. But the coaches have yet to make a decision on goalkeeper Harry Lee.[/i]

Good luck to then all

full story http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=33803
  • Options
    No mention of Chris Solly .... does he already have a Pro contract?
    I can't rememember. Probably someone on here knows..... ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]No mention of Chris Solly .... does he already have a Pro contract?

yes, and a squad number
  • Options
    Ah, should have checked first ..... many thanks, Henry.
  • Options
    Slightly disappointed that Sam Long will be released as I liked him whenever I saw him, but bow to the superior knowledge of Gritt and the coaches etc.
  • Options
    Sheet I like Ben (as i know him) Really is a pity!!

He loved the club but loves Chelsea more...
  • Options
    Bit confused about Christie and Lee. If they thought Lee might still make it, why wasn't he first choice?
  • Options
    Few players there have just got to knuckle down and they will get a contract at a full-time level.

Just remember how much football is all about opinions. I thought Fuller and Cottrell would do great, Fuller is Gillinghams captain, Cottrell spent a season in the reserves at Millwall and is now doing bugger pro-football wise.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: tricky[/cite]Slightly disappointed that Sam Long will be released as I liked him whenever I saw him, but bow to the superior knowledge of Gritt and the coaches etc.[/quote]

Yeah, look where the 'superior knowledge' of our coaches have got us. They are as fallible, unconsciously biased, and guessing in the dark, as the rest of humanity. Hence the balls-ups that we see in virtually every field of human endeavour. The famous phrase from Hollywood applies widely - "Nobody knows anything". If Stavrinou makes it, I will eat a CAFC burger (much more difficult to digest than my hat).
  • Options
    10% ability
    10% luck
    80% hard word

As (a easy) example Robbie Savage, talented player, but more than prepared to go the extra mile and work his cods off to get where he wanted to go in the game.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Just remember how much football is all about opinions. I thought Fuller and Cottrell would do great, Fuller is Gillinghams captain, Cottrell spent a season in the reserves at Millwall and is now doing bugger pro-football wise.

Fuller has done well to work his way back up, like Turner, Campbell-Ryce and Shittu did, although at a lower level. He probably wasn't good enough at the time but after a few years experience he's now a decent League Two player.

Cottrell is one of the ones who's slowly dropped down and found his level.

If you go back through our youth squad looking on the OS, most of them aren't in football, or at least not at a level where you can find out about them.

The club haven't made many mistakes (Danny Haynes was one, and they let him go as a schoolboy) and I don't think they have here. Sam Long is the only one I can see possibly proving us wrong, but there's still a clear difference in ability between him and another full back in Solly.
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]10% ability
    10% luck
    80% hard word

As (a easy) example Robbie Savage, talented player, but more than prepared to go the extra mile and work his cods off to get where he wanted to go in the game.

Don't agree with that. Yes effort and having a good attitude plays a big part, but if that was true, every club would bring in the most hard working, determined youngsters they could and they'd all make it as professionals. A lot of young players can work hard but end up in non-league football.
  • Options
    Probably should have put that better

The talented players make it with those ratios

Personally I think Cottrell shit out because at the time when he was knocking on the door we had the England right back and a few other international footballers who would drop in. If he and Fuller and Campbell-ryce had been where they were then when we are where we are now then they would be more than involved. However football is about opinions and a lot of ifs and buts