Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Time for Dickson to deliver

edited February 2009 in General Charlton
Been a lot of calls in recent months for Chris Dickson to be given his chance. A confident fella with a big personality, most supporters agree that he appears to have been harshly treated.

But he's had his taster and now is the time to make his mark. Plymouth will set back and allow us a lot of possession. Goals are what win you matches, and if we do stand a chance of survival, it will only be if we can find a goalscorer who has a little purple patch.

Dickson has the potential to be that player, but now he has to prove he can walk the walk.

Comments

• Options
    Yes and hopefully he will be paired with kandol as I cant see Burton scoring in a brothel at the moment
  • Options
    You should nickname him the Postman ...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]You should nickname him the Postman ...

cos the few times he has delivered its been too late?!
  • Options
    I'd actually like to see Burton playing with Dicko as I think they could make a good pairing and Burton gets a harsh press imo and not the credit he deserves for his work rate and hold up play - something which we need a bit extra of if Dicko is going to be given a bit of freedom to concentrate on getting goals.

I really fancy Dicko to bag a couple tomorrow and one of Burton or Racon to bag a third.

An early goal would be extremely useful to try and bring Plymouth out of their shell so we can hopefully exploit them a bit on the break.

Want to see Sam back in the side too, rather than 4 centre midfielders - he is our leading assist getter after all.
  • Options
    agree with most of that exiled, i think Burton does so much of the ugly stuff well. aginst the scum he was winning loads of balls and laying them off.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]agree with most of that exiled, i think Burton does so much of the ugly stuff well. aginst the scum he was winning loads of balls and laying them off.

Including setting up Sam for the Cross that lead to Spring's goal.

While Burton's goalscoring record is poor Dickson won't get anything like the stick Burton would get for not netting tomorrow while any other weaknesses in Chris's play will be overlooked.

Let''s hope Dicko, Dean and Tres all score
  • Options
    I thought he was really excellent (Burton that is) against Palace and his take under pressure and simple layoff in the build up to goal is just what we brought Gray to the club to do. The difference is Burton was free.

I understand strikers need to score goals, but my hope would be that Dickson might get 6 or 7 between now and May and the midfield chip in with 2 or 3 each. If Burton plays a role in creating half of those through working hard to create space and getting the ball under control in advanced areas then he'll have played a major part for us even if he doesn't actually bury any himself.

Having said that, I haven't seen Kandol yet who may be able to do the same but with a bit more goal threat, time will tell I guess.
  • Options
    Dicko 6/1 first goalscorer, get on that!
  • Options
    I think tomorrow would be the first game that Dickson has started at home? (feel free to correct me if wrong)

Agree it would be his third successive start and if so he needs a goal but so far he's started in two games - Preston and Bristol City away (both top six sides)

IIRC, Burton has started against the likes of Forest (and missed a sitter), Coventry, Blackpool, Norwich and Soton - all bottom six to eight sides.
  • Options
    Kandol apparently has that aerial presence that we've lacked since Big Chris went off to to Molly Nukes - somebody who can beat a centreback in the air in the box, and get his header on target.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Kandol apparently has that aerial presence that we've lacked since Big Chris went off to to Molly Nukes - somebody who can beat a centreback in the air in the box, and get his header on target.
    Not necessarily just beating them either Oggy - a couple of kicks and punches wouldnt go amiss either. We need to start bullying teams I think.
  • Options
    Yes, having had two starts (and set up our goal in one of them), it is time for our loyal support to start ripping into him. After all there are a string of guaranteed 20 goal a season strikers waiting in the wings.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]agree with most of that exiled, i think Burton does so much of the ugly stuff well. aginst the scum he was winning loads of balls and laying them off.
    Some of the ugly stuff that Burton does = standing in an offside position and causing our midfield to have to hang onto the ball just that little bit too long, while he waddles back.
  • Options
    for me Burton does nothing, he's a Kim Grant clone. The sooner his loan spell is up and he slithers back to Sheff Weds the better imo.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited February 2009
    He's permanent Large

(i think)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Yes, having had two starts (and set up our goal in one of them), it is time for our loyal support to start ripping into him. After all there are a string of guaranteed 20 goal a season strikers waiting in the wings.[/quote]

Seconded! Considering how many opportunities our other "strikers" have had - without looking like actually scoring or DIRECTLY assisting in a goal, it would amaze me if Dickson doesn't score and we begin slating him!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]He's permanent Large

(i think)

I was rather hoping that I'd imagined that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]He's permanent Large

(i think)

He is we signed him on a free.
  • Options
    Let's hope dickson does something tomorrow and then gets on a run but imo he's our only goalscoring hope right now.
  • Options
    Just put a bday bet on him, got him at 15/2 first goal scorer!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think he will

What about Kandol though anyone seen him actually play.
  • Options
    No striker can score goals unless he gets the ball, get the supply to Dickson and he'll score goals.
  • Options
    Is Krisztian Timar going to be playing do you think? Not sure I fancy Dicko's chances against the Budapest beast.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]Is Krisztian Timar going to be playing do you think? Not sure I fancy Dicko's chances against the Budapest beast.

Know what you mean ! They say things happen in 3s. Toddy, Mcleod,?
  • Options
    Dickson is not the messiah. Anyone who thinks he is, is on drugs.
  • Options
    Pass the spliff man.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]Dickson is not the messiah. He's a very naughty boy.

img_3.jpg
  • Options
    Did he answer you enough to day AFKA?

:-)
  • Options
    Tricky Dicky no doubt.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]Did he answer you enough to day AFKA?

:-)

He did me and I have been very much on the fence with Dicko.

I think a lot of the credit for that though must go to Parky and Kins for the man management of this team and Dicko in particular. And perhaps a slice of good luck in a cruel sense for the injury to Andy Gray. But we have a platform now and Dicko can become a legend if he can deliver in the next 2 months. I saw enough today to think he can.