Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Today's team

edited February 2009 in General Charlton
And it was a team and that showed.

Loans or not loans? Who could tell. Defy anyone to say that Murty, Soares, Kandol or Ward didn't put the same shift in as anyone else.

Elliot hardly had a save to make other than the one good cross shot he palmed away but came for crosses and did the Powelly celebration at the end

The back for all stood up. Murty was outstanding, Ward and Hudson look a decent pairing and coped with the big lump Fallon who was obviously sent on to do the job that Akinbiyi did for City. It didn't work.

The midfield was so solid. OK, a bit narrow with four CMs but loads of work. Spring making things happen, Racon snapping at everything and a fantastic goal - My MOM. All the midfielders were making runs at different times beyond the forwards and that gave PAFC so many problems. Soares really impressed me with how well he defended, often behind Murty tracking runners and helping out and he did some good stuff going forward. Bailey could/should have had a hat trick but kept going after the pen miss and skied shot to get a good, good goal. Big relief for him I bet as well as us.

Dickson and Kandol looked a real pair. Linked well and created havoc. Both need to stick the ball away but that will come, their keeper has a good game. Dickson deserved his standing ovation but Burton was the right sub. Dickson was knackered and had taken a knock and a older head was needed to close it out.

Plymouth were no worse than a lot of sides we have lost to or drawn with in recent months. They were there for the taking and if we had won 4 or 5 it wouldn't have been unfair.

Well done Parky and Kins. Both were similar midfield battlers for Reading and Charlton and that looked like a team created in their image. Hard working, solid, bit of football as well. Maybe too late some will say but it ain't over till it's over. Win at Barnsley and it is game on. Till then I'm going to enjoy a home win and a good performance.

Up the Addicks

Comments

• Options
    I love Murty always encouraging and talkin to the players,a proper professional a la Chrissy Powell,we could get another couple of years out of him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]I love Murty always encouraging and talkin to the players,a proper professional a la Chrissy Powell,we could get another couple of years out of him.

Spot on. Good to see him and other players pointing and shouting at each other. Keeps them on their toes.
  • Options
    Murty is an outstanding pro...Championship or League 1 he would be an inspirational permanent signing if we could persuade Reading.
  • Options
    Good post. I know we haven't seen much of Racon but he always seems to have a good game. Parkinson goes on about his technical ability, pace and athleticism and it's true. Always looks comfortable with the ball even under pressure, tidy passing and works hard. Great strike as well.

Bailey when confident looks a good player, just needs to keep that confidence up.

Murty just shows his experience, defends well and doesn't make stupid mistake. Must be having a good effect in training and in the dressing room.

Youga still scares me at times, silly decisions at times and dodgy control nearly straight to the opposition.

Liked the look of Kandol and Dickson together. Offered much more than other partnerships have this season. Both have pace and strength, Kandol won headers and flicked them on well, also put Dickson through early on and played a good ball to Bailey for his goal. Dickson looked skilful, always trying to beat a player, doesn't always work but he's definitely worth a place in the team. Even though they didn't score today they look like they will eventually, especially Dickson.

Few scary moments from Kandol, the two back passes to Elliot. Got away with it in the first half, nearly didn't in the second half. Looked like Kinsella and Parkinson had a go at him so he won't be trying that again.
  • Options
    i dont rate Bailey he should have scored the pen and that volley, in like 2 mins and everyone thinks his good for that volley against ipswich
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonboy95[/cite]i dont rate Bailey he should have scored the pen and that volley, in like 2 mins and everyone thinks his good for that volley against ipswich

I don't think he's great, but at his best he is good. Lacks composure at times, in the first half he was often just kicking the ball up in the air, compare that to Racon who is always happy to have the ball, more comfortable with it and has quicker feet.
  • Options
    Best performance since Reading against a physical and frankly, at times, dirty side.

Racon's goal must be a contender for goal of the season but apart from that I was impressed with his all round game.

As I've said elsewhere Dicko is a real breath of fresh air and got me on the edge of my seat.

No bad performances today, I just hope they gain a bit of confidence for the challenges ahead.

Finally nice to see Rob Elliot take on Chrissy Powell's mantle at the end.
  • Options
    Murty reminds me of Brownie he is wholehearted and some of his challenges make you wince.
  • Options
    If Reading do get promoted then I can't see that a 34 year old Murty would get much football for them. Presumably he'll be available and if Moo2 goes then we'll need a right-back and having an experienced player wouldn't be a bad thing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]I love Murty always encouraging and talkin to the players,a proper professional a la Chrissy Powell,we could get another couple of years out of him.

Exactly what I was saying.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good post Henry,
    1 minor negative with Murty, twice he headed across the area. But like a say its a minor negative, I thought he was composed and appeared to talk non stop and encourage the rest.

Good to see Dickson taken off because he was on a yellow and another handball would have been a red.
    We need the lad in our team, I would like to have seen him start 10 games ago. Hey ho!!
  • Options
    Thought Bailey was outstanding. After his penalty was saved and he missed from six yards his head could have gone down. He picked himself up, shook himself down and tried harder than ever. More performances like that and we could have a Charlton legend on our hands.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: millaphile[/cite]Thought Bailey was outstanding. After his penalty was saved and he missed from six yards his head could have gone down. He picked himself up, shook himself down and tried harder than ever. More performances like that and we could have a Charlton legend on our hands.

Agree. I was worried he could have "gone" the way he seemed to after his rick v Bristol City but he kept going.
    [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]Good post Henry,
    1 minor negative with Murty, twice he headed across the area. But like a say its a minor negative, I thought he was composed and appeared to talk non stop and encourage the rest.

Good to see Dickson taken off because he was on a yellow and another handball would have been a red.
    We need the lad in our team, I would like to have seen him start 10 games ago. Hey ho!!

Murty isn't perfect and neither are any of the others but can't fault the effort and commitment.

The ref did warn Dickson about the handballs so only got himself to blame. Just hope he gets a good run in a settled partnership with Kandol so we can see the best of him.

Soares loan is up. Hope we can extend it but if not ZZ is close to fitness.