Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

"Into the Valley"

edited February 2009 in General Charlton
Went to the premiere last night of Richard Jobson's film 'New Town Killers'. He was there for a Q&A afterwards, and actually got talking about 'Into the Valley' which was his earlier claim to fame with The Skids. Apparently it is about young lads from Fife who had no prospects of a job, so joined the army instead and ended up in Northern Ireland.

So now we know.

Great song,anyway, and at least he's still earning royalties from Charlton...

Comments

• Options
    didn't know the origins, interesting.
  • Options
    Suprised we don't sing this down the Valley

Into the valley
    Betrothed and divine
    Realisations no virtue
    But who can define
    Why soldiers go marching
    Those masses a line
    This disease is catching
    From victory to stone
    Ahoy! Ahoy! Land, sea and sky
    Ahoy! Ahoy! Boy, man and soldier
    Ahoy! Ahoy! Deceived and then punctured
    Ahoy! Ahoy! Long may they die
    Out of concealment
    Blank and stark eyed
    Why so uncertain
    This culture deceives
    Prophesised, brainwashed
    Tomorrow's demise
    All systems failing
    The placards unroll
    Ahoy! Ahoy! Land, sea and sky
    Ahoy! Ahoy! Boy, man and soldier
    Ahoy! Ahoy! Deceived and then punctured
    Ahoy! Ahoy! Long may they die
    Time for the audit
    The gathering trial
    A collector's dilemma
    Repositioned and filed

He was only 18 when he wrote this.

He also played for Scotland at U16s
  • Options
    He's a very intelligent and talented guy - and I think he knows it too!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]He's a very intelligent and talented guy - and I think he knows it too!

And used to carry a bayonet around with him which Stuart Adamson pulled on me once (as a joke).

Used to follow them around when they first came to London. Very good live band
  • Options
    He couldn't join the army like all his mates because of his Irish Catholic roots, apparently.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Went to the premiere last night of Richard Jobson's film 'New Town Killers'. He was there for a Q&A afterwards, and actually got talking about 'Into the Valley' which was his earlier claim to fame with The Skids. Apparently it is about young lads from Fife who had no prospects of a job, so joined the army instead and ended up in Northern Ireland.

So now we know.

Great song,anyway, and at least he's still earning royalties from Charlton...[/quote]

Is the film any good? Some friends of mine have bought the film and are releasing it - be good to get an impartial view ....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]

Is the film any good? Some friends of mine have bought the film and are releasing it - be good to get an impartial view ....

Not the kind of film I'd usually choose from my own tastes - lots of action and some pretty gritty violence. But it was on at the Glasgow Film Festival, which is when I enjoy going to see new stuff that I might not otherwise try. It was well received in the cinema, well acted and well produced. Made you think as well. Can't see it being an absolute 'box office smash', but it should do OK. Out of interest, which company do your friends run?
  • Options
    edited February 2009
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    High Fliers Films.