Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Going to UFC tonight

2»

Comments

• Options
    Tell me more Can Addick with GSP and his corner man i am a fan but i havent heard that one so any gossip would be apreciated.

I think the UFC and to an extent Cage Rage over here does try to use the Violence to promote and It does engage a certain kind of fan, however it does also encourage people who can see through the Bar room brawling and look to the finer more detailed side of the contest.

But what it has succesfully done is stop going for just stand up fighters to using the more technically gifted fighters and those not afraid to drop the fight to the floor and try to use JuJitsu and other self defence style traits.

The programme Ultimate Fighter has done wonders for the show as it is tapping in to the Big Brother culture i feel personally,

Great comments mate and great that although youre not a fan you havent dismissed it out of hand
  • Options
    The Romans used the "games" as a way of keeping the proles happy while those at the top of society carried on and did much as they liked.

Ringing any bells?
  • Options
    way over my head that Perry "proles" what the feck is that
  • Options
    I was 4 rows from the front. Great seats. Thought it was very overrated and would never have paid to watch that.

There were 40 minute gaps in between bouts and you just lost interest (beer time!)

Also far too many holds (Very Zzzzzz) and not enough action.

The main issue for me is that you have no affinity with any of the boxers so you didnt really care who won.

Was staggered with the amount of young women there. . . .a lot with their gym junky boyfriends by the looks of it. Why anyone would take their other half to see that is beyond me.

Great night out as it was all paid for (was struggling yesterday) but wouldn't recommend paying to watch it to anyone.

The O2 is a nightmare to get away from. . . .
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]way over my head that Perry "proles" what the feck is that

The great unwashed, the man in the street, the disenfranchised, the likes of us (well me anyway).
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Falconwood1

there was 2 great performances from the brits though on Saturday

and i think the fact that you are not a fan meant that the fighters meant nowt to you bud, I like Diago Sanchez and Joe Stephenson so it was a great card for me, i must admit there were no real showstopper names on the card,

quick question was it a sell out??

if yes and the card was not one that oooozed big names should show that those that were there were there to suport either the Brits or for the main event

me as well Perry fecking Gordon Brown has tricked me again the bstd who would have thought he created the uFC to let the banks rob us :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Falconwood1

and i think the fact that you are not a fan meant that the fighters meant nowt to you bud, I like Diago Sanchez and Joe Stephenson so it was a great card for me, i must admit there were no real showstopper names on the card,

if yes and the card was not one that oooozed big names should show that those that were there were there to suport either the Brits or for the main event

me as well Perry fecking Gordon Brown has tricked me again the bstd who would have thought he created the uFC to let the banks rob us :-)

What, me, paranoid?

I knew thats what they were saying behind my back....

:-D
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Falconwood1

No where near a sell out NLA, most of the upper decks were empty. Did they show the Dos Santos undercard fight in the main program as there was so many fights finishing early?
  • Options
    I think they showed all of them mate

The problem with selling the seats there Saturday was there were no Huge names on the card shame as the last fight night they were racked to the teeth with em

we need Bisbing there and the crowd would come out
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]I think they showed all of them mate

The problem with selling the seats there Saturday was there were no Huge names on the card shame as the last fight night they were racked to the teeth with em

Was thinking that too. Would've made sense to have him on the card then you'd have got a much bigger crowd. Although he's now a coach on the Ultimate Fighter so he won't have a fight for a while.
  • Options
    I used to love watching UFC on Bravo. I've not read through everyone's post's because I'm at work but the fights are stopped as soon as it's deemed a fighter is no longer making an attempt to defend himself or effectively making an attempt to defend himself.

In my opinion theres more skill and technique involved in UFC than boxing. All round mixed martial arts they need to be able to do it all, wrestling, boxing and combined with so many other martial arts techniques these guys are amazing. It is a sport that is very highly regulated.
  • Options
    Wrestling is referred to as sports entertainment because of the drug usage?

Never heard such rubbish, what is body building classed as? Art!

Wrestling is called sports entertainment because that's the best way of describing it, a type of entertainment which is sports related.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]I think they showed all of them mate

Was thinking that too. Would've made sense to have him on the card then you'd have got a much bigger crowd. Although he's now a coach on the Ultimate Fighter so he won't have a fight for a while.

There was one point when the main event was supposed to be Silva v Liddell (That would have been immense) but both fighters said no. Plus they'd have to make sure it was a sell out just to pay those fighters. It's a business at the end of the day & I doubt the o2 has the capacity to bring in the money needed for big name fighters. The fights were absolutely quality though, so having no big names (Stevenson/Sanchez) aside didn't really matter anyway.

It would have been nice to see Bisping but like said he's a coach in the Ultimate Fighter. If he ends up beating Henderson & getting a shot @ Silva then we might see that over here?

Dana White needs to pull out all the stops to get Fedor Emelianenko over from Affliction, the guy is an absolute monster. Beat both Silva & Arlovski in the first round. He'll give Mir / Lesnar / Gonzaga a run for their money!
  • Options
    Comparing this "sport" to boxing is a mute point really. Boxing imho should also be banned. Look no further than Mohammed Ali for evidence of damage caused by this form of violence. In both sports the ideal is to take you opponant out asap by hitting him as hard as you can ! Sport...Don`t make me laugh.
  • Options
    Anyone go to the weigh in in Tottenham Court Road on Friday?

MMA is a lot safer than boxing SHG, it's very unlikely that the fight will continue if there's a slight bit of doubt that a fighter can't defend himself properly.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]The problem with selling the seats there Saturday was there were no Huge names on the card shame as the last fight night they were racked to the teeth with em

Diego Sanchez is a big name surely! He always seems to last every fight!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    No mate he aint a crowd puller you need to have

Silva,Couture,St Peirre, Liddel,Griifin,Henderson,Mir,Lesnar, and some others i have undoubtedly missed, Diego Sanchez was a contestant on the Ultimate fighter who dont get me wrtong has done good but is not in the championship League.

You can not convert those that dont like Boxing or violent sport to like UFC guys so the whole sport not sport debate is flawed as we come from different angles so i dont like to debate what is sport what is not.

Dos Santos fought that guy who was 6 ft 11 and he Knocked him out in rd 1 total carve up Dos Santos will take some stopping IMO
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]The problem with selling the seats there Saturday was there were no Huge names on the card shame as the last fight night they were racked to the teeth with em

Diego Sanchez is a big name surely! He always seems to last every fight!

Surely your not saying that Sanchez only ever wins by decision? ;)
  • Options
    course not just ive never seen him knocked out...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sanchez is not as powerful at the weight he fought at on Saturday night he cut 50pds to fight in that match he needs to get stronger and better at his own weight rather than Cut to that level IMO that is reallly dangerous.

Sanchez is a crank though very much a loner and does have issues IMO