Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Weymouth

Most football sides operate on the basis of an owner's deep pockets, and I'm sure Weymouth are no exception but I was appalled by their players strike upon receiving no wages this year. Most will be holding down jobs outside and will have been previously picking up £200-£300 per week for playing a sport they love. As an ex-sportsman who used to train 6 days a week, 50 weeks a year for no pay, I can only condemn their mercenary attitude which has echos of the CAFC women's side who cried foul and slated the club when funds dried up, with not a thought about the bunce they'd been given in previous years, far in excess of their commercial worth.

Comments

• Options
    Statement on their website

They had to play their youth team on Saturday, ended up losing 9-0.

Apparently some fans put substantial bets on them losing (bookies didn't seem to know about the situation) and pledged the winnings to the club to help them out.
  • Options
    I have to disagree.

The club's insurance was almost certainly not up to date so any injury, when they are looking for a move elsewhere, would have left them with no cover and destroyed any chance of a move to another club.

They hadn't been paid for a long time (14 weeks) which means they can move as free agents so hardly a sudden decision.

At that level they may or may not have other jobs but the money from the football would be a significant part of their income in any case. Who knows how safe those other jobs are when redundancies are being made all over.

Best thing is the Weymouth fans knew and lumped on Rushden and Diamonds to win but of course the bookies are moaning about that. Cost them upto £1m.
  • Options
    didnt they used to be owned or co owned a jorno, he is often on sunday suppliment on sky, they had a doccumentry aboput weymouth when claridge was down there.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]didnt they used to be owned or co owned a jorno, he is often on sunday suppliment on sky, they had a doccumentry aboput weymouth when claridge was down there.

Ian Ridly?
  • Options
    yeah skinny gut grey hair glasses, im sure he was involved down there, the doccumentry was great, they got a few french lads over to play for them was great seeing there reaction to the ground and facilties not quite what they had been promised..
  • Options
    didn't Steve Claridge buy Weymouth for a while ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Best thing is the Weymouth fans knew and lumped on Rushden and Diamonds to win but of course the bookies are moaning about that. Cost them upto £1m.

Up to £1m? Isn't that more than enough to pay off Weymouth's debts?
  • Options
    It's like Henry said. It was all down to the insurance more so than the money. But the Weymouth players have been recruited on a full time basis, so it is in fact there job.

It's funny to see these teams that seem to throw money at getting up to the conference and above. Weymouth did it, as did Fisher a few years ago, Boston United did it, Thurrock did it, and Grays are struggling.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]Most football sides operate on the basis of an owner's deep pockets, and I'm sure Weymouth are no exception but I was appalled by their players strike upon receiving no wages this year. Most will be holding down jobs outside and will have been previously picking up £200-£300 per week for playing a sport they love. As an ex-sportsman who used to train 6 days a week, 50 weeks a year for no pay, I can only condemn their mercenary attitude which has echos of the CAFC women's side who cried foul and slated the club when funds dried up, with not a thought about the bunce they'd been given in previous years, far in excess of their commercial worth.

Weymouth are/were pro/fulltime so I don't think there is any basis for your argument.

The players and staff at Weymouth are victims of another sudo rich bloke thinking you can chase league football with little over a million. Spent stupid amounts of money to ensure they won the conference south, allegdly paid Claridge more than he earnt at Millwall whilst he was player manager etc etc. Surprise surprise the crowds only go up by 200-300, the team struggle and show no sign of getting into the league = silly boy chairman pulls the plug.

Be surprised if they finish the season to be honest. If word gets out that they have no insurance etc then not even youth team players are going to turn out for them.

Non-league football is going to see increasing cases like this, in recent years Hornchurch and Telford have gone the same way as have Boston and Halifax Town. There is a huge difference between conference north/south and conference national. Running costs will sky rocket and many promoted teams will find that the step up isn't sustainable. Lewes for example are seriously regretting the money that they spent on the dripping pan to ensure their promotion. They will go straight back down and be left with a huge debt and 300-400 diehards.

In all probability AFC Wimbledon will be the last team to successfully make the jump for a while.
  • Options
    Clem_snide said: "silly boy chairman pulls the plug" that would have been post-Ridely chairman Martin Harrison who left them in debt free (having written off 2million) and with some cash to pay a future tax bill. He handed over to Mel Bush in June 2007. Bush is the manager (and ex-Chatlton player) Jason Tindall's father-in-law. He passed the club on to a property developer who sold all the land except the pitch to a company co-owned by him and then walked away hence the current plight. Harrison's legacy was that he left a club with a team of full-time players but the other chairman have not addressed that problem.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got a text early doors Saturday to lump on Rushden at 11/10, didn't get round to it in the end. Very annoying watching the game turn into a rugby score.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]Most football sides operate on the basis of an owner's deep pockets, and I'm sure Weymouth are no exception but I was appalled by their players strike upon receiving no wages this year. Most will be holding down jobs outside and will have been previously picking up £200-£300 per week for playing a sport they love. As an ex-sportsman who used to train 6 days a week, 50 weeks a year for no pay, I can only condemn their mercenary attitude which has echos of the CAFC women's side who cried foul and slated the club when funds dried up, with not a thought about the bunce they'd been given in previous years, far in excess of their commercial worth.

A simple question...would you continue to do a job that could potentially affect your career, livelihood and earnings if something went wrong because your employers had not adequately insured you?
  • Options
    Old youth team player Jason Tindall was in charge a while ago so I've been keeping an eye on them for a while now.

Sad story - likely to be the end of them
  • Options
    The thing that makes me laugh is the talk of a betting "SCAM" and all those weeping bookies.
    Bookies do not have to take any bet, they do not have to make a price, they don't even legally have to pay out. They just use things like this as advertising.
    Same with betting on thinkgs like the BAFTAS, Brits and the next Dr Who etc. Of course people are going to know the results of things like those before they become public. Anyone who lays a bet on such things are mugs.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    They're still in trouble, they've come up with an idea (not sure how original it is, not seen it for other football clubs at least) to help them raise some more money.

http://www.theterras.co.uk/website/text%20terras.htm
    Fans can hep the club as we go into the pre-season by helping to fund
    the costs of getting the squad back on the pitch.

In a new initiative designed to help pay for new kit and sundry other costs - with other income currently going to pay off pressing debt - we have set up a new texting hotline.

We are asking supporters to use their mobiles to text the keyword TERRAS to the shortcode 84010.

In that way the club will benefit from fans' generosity to the maximum amount.

Users please be aware that this a premium text service that costs £1.50 per text. Weymouth FC will receive on average £1.11 per text depending on network providers' charges.

In return, fans will simply receive a thank you text.

We realise that this is currently a donation to the club but we hope ans will see that their money will be used on playing costs while we use other funds to pay off inherited debt before our income streams kick in for the season.

We also hope to be running this texting service during the season with quiz questions and cash prizes so that there could be an eventual return.

Please get a friend to text in or maybe even ask fans of other clubs to help us!
  • Options
    Hmm, think you need to set one up for us. Fook Weymouth (sorry with the greatest respect to all Weymouth fans)
  • Options
    still, listening to Pendulum cheers me up

(prior to you all falling on me for having splitners on my arse from the bandwagon)