Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Harry Arter and Ben Godfrey - trial at Gillingham

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2009
    Godfrey scored for Gillingham, but QPR came back and won 2-1.

Only a goalmouth scramble though, not mention of Arter on QPRs site. Gillingham's report coming soon.
    On the hour it was Gillingham who took the lead, much against the run of play, when a scrappy goalmouth scramble left Godfrey with the easiest of finishes.
    http://www.gillinghamfootballclub.com/page/Reserves/0,,10416~1571335,00.html

http://www.qpr.co.uk/page/ReserveNews/0,,10373~1570998,00.html

As for Arter I think it could well be down to his injury problems. Shame just hope we don't regret it.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]that is really splitting hairs !!!! Released, due to be released, what is the fecking difference.

Sorry but I am fairly sure that if they had been released they'd be ineligible for the reserves - and also unable to force themselves back into the clubs plans for a contract offer!

;o)
  • Options
    Not really, it doesn't work like that, Dazzler - clubs are allowed to field other clubs players or triallists in reserve league fixtures.

For example, just last week, the Arsenal lad played in our own reserve league fixture, so that Parkinsella etc could run their eye over him. But he's still contracted to arsenal.

Also a few years ago, Charlie McDonald played for the reserves - he may have been a free agent, but he wasn't signed to Charlton.

And of course, Andy Hunt he plays up Front, attempted a comeback playing a few games for the stiffs in reserve league fixtures, although not contracted.

Usually, if a player is given advance notice that he's being released at the end of the season, then his club will fall over backwards to help out allowing him to train and play with other clubs in reserve fixtures - and, of course, he's still eligible to play for his parent club.
  • Options
    I understood they had to be triallists that's all
    Sorry

:'o(
  • Options
    I assume that everyone has seen the email out from the club on these two. it appears that someone above is correct when stating that Godfrey is scheduled to be released at the end of the season, and based upon the language of the email, it doesn't sound as though Arter has been released, and has merely "been given permission" to play.
  • Options
    Yeah as Arter is already a pro, it's a different situation. They've not said anything him, looks like he'll be released but it could be because they want to take him on loan.

Godfrey will leave at the end of the season, same thing happens around this time every year. The club announce which 2nd year u18s are being released, and which will be offered pro contracts.
  • Options
    Henry did we have sell on with Turner? I wasn't sure you could do that unless he left still under contract which I don't think he did?

Remember the club had a sell on for Shittu, but it was never reported when QPR sold him that we received one. I'm sure we did just be intereseted what it was.

I like both of them, my oppinion is both of them would have improved the Charlton first team squad in the prem. Compared to Talal and HH they both are more reliable in the center. I concede that at the time we probably had better pairings, but I'd rather have kept them than say Talal. It's a shame in this country you can't keep part ownership, like they used to in Italy: don't know if they still do.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Henry did we have sell on with Turner? I wasn't sure you could do that unless he left still under contract which I don't think he did?

Remember the club had a sell on for Shittu, but it was never reported when QPR sold him that we received one. I'm sure we did just be intereseted what it was.

I like both of them, my oppinion is both of them would have improved the Charlton first team squad in the prem. Compared to Talal and HH they both are more reliable in the center. I concede that at the time we probably had better pairings, but I'd rather have kept them than say Talal. It's a shame in this country you can't keep part ownership, like they used to in Italy: don't know if they still do.

Yes, definitely a sell on clause with Turner. He didn't leave until he was 21-ish and even got on the bench 3 or 4 times for Prem games so he was under contract but still under 24.

Not sure what we got for Shittu but we did get something.

Maybe Turner would have been better but we had Perry, Fish, Fortune and Telal as well as Sankofa coming thru.

Judgement call by Curbs and one he had to take without the benefit of hindsight and while managing a budget for wages and keeping players happy. Would it have been fair to say to Turner "stick around in our reserves, we might get relegated in 5 years time and then you'll get a chance"?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Judgement call by Curbs and one he had to take without the benefit of hindsight and while managing a budget for wages and keeping players happy. Would it have been fair to say to Turner "stick around in our reserves, we might get relegated in 5 years time and then you'll get a chance"?

Typical of our board no 5 year plan!!
  • Options
    I remember Curbs at the time Turner was released, saying something like, "He's a good lad, but doesn't have the pace needed to challenge for a place in the 1st team" - which was our Prem side, of course.

Well, I don't know how quick he is now playing for Hull City, but Curbs evidently thought he wasn't going to cut it in the Prem.

Probably added to the fact that at 20/21 he was getting restless with skippering the reserves, had been out on loan a couple of times and got the taste for 1st team football.

Some you win, some you don't.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My sources (actually the award winning handbook) tell me we got a total of £662,500 for Shittu.

Thanks for the tip M.
  • Options

Surely not at the time? They were 20/21 year old centre backs with only loan and reserve experience, no way would they have been any more reliable than a decent Prem player like HH. They might now, but that's after 100+ games.

As for Curbs comment, with that experience he's learnt to manage without having pace, that only comes with playing regular first team football.

There won't be a sell on clause for Turner now will there? If there was, wouldn't we have already had it for when he went from Brentford to Hull?
  • Options
    Not surprised. Sounds like they want experience and players they know will do what's needed.

Notice that poll there, they've not only got Barry Fuller but also Mark McCammon.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Harry Arter on loan to Welling until the end of the season. Taken from the email bulletin.
    Charlton youngster Harry Arter joined the Addicks' near-neighbours Welling United on loan until the end of the season toay.

The midfielder will stay with the Wings until April 25th when the Blue Square South season comes to an end.
    Addicks academy graduate Arter could now go straight into Welling's side for their clash with struggling Havant & Waterlooville at Park View Road on Saturday (3pm).
    Welling are currently ninth in the table but without a win in four games.

The loan represents a second spell away from SE7 for Arter this term, following a temporary switch to Staines Town in November.