Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The official CL cooking thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]LENTIL SHEPHERDS PIE...make loads and freeze individual portions for emergency meals/other days.

GET.
    Green and Brown lentils
    Guilin Chilli Sauce (See Woo cash and carry Charlton).
    Marmite
    A couple of tins of quality chopped tomatoes
    Mixed Herbs
    Red green and yellow peppers.
    Spuds
    Carrots
    Swede
    Good cheese (at least level five vegetarian cheddar)
    Ground black pepper.
    Individual freezer dishes
    Big shepherds pie oven dish.

Soak a mixture of lentils overnight (not the red split ones).
    Chop some red green and yellow peppers.
    Peel spuds, carrots and swede for the mash.
    Grate the cheese.
    Wash and rinse the lentils well
    Put lentils on to boil and then simmer, just enough water to cover them, as the soaking overnight will do the trick, be prepared to spoon off a lot of the excess liquid as they cook.
    Boil up the mix of spuds swede and carrotts for the mash. If the veg cooks early in the whole process, drain and put aside in the pan with a little semi skimmed milk added to stop burning and sticking to the bottom.
    When lentils have simmered for about 20 mins, drain/spoon off as much of the excess liquid as possible.
    Add the herbs and chopped peppers to the lentils, stir in.
    Add a bigish spoon of chilli sauce and stir in.
    Add the chopped tomatoes to the lentils to re-juice the whole kit and caboodle, stir in and simmer.
    Just before you finish cooking the lentil mix add a big dollop of marmite, and stir in (don't put the marmite in too early in the process.).
    Mash the veg with liberally added grated cheese/a little butter .

Dollop out the lentil mix into the dishes.
    Spread the mash on top (don't worry if the mash is a bit lumpy, the oven cooking will soften the lumps)
    Save the freezer portions to cool down
    Cook the major shepherds pie in the oven (clear up dishes/mess while its cooking), ten minutes from the end, add cheese to the top.
    Serve with lightly cooked green veg, like broccolli, or peas (do in microwave to save aggro).

Feel good because you cooked so much the reserve shepherds pies will save the cooking another day.

its called shepards pie cos of the meat used

its alrite you veggies giving it large about the poor little animals but make your own names for food dont nick us carnivors names

:-)

lentil shepards pie in very deed
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]OK, I've never cooked, don't even know how to turn the oven on to be honest.

But I've finally decided I want to start learning and get serious about it - so what's the best dishes to start with?

Jamie Oliver's Ministry of Food book is good for starting out, lots of basic recipes that are easy to learn inc. pasta, curry etc.

I keep meaning to try and branch out into savoury dishes but cookies/cakes are soooo easy and quick to make!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]I'm making lamb koftas tonight - but no idea what to cook with them - any ideas?

Greek Salad, Pitta's, Humous and The yogout thing that I can't spell
  • Options
    Or you could try cooking cheese on toast ala Oll!

Grate some mature cheddar. Thinly chop some fresh coriander, don't forget the stalks they are flovoursome too. Dice half a red pepper, thinly, and half a green pepper, half a red onion thinly diced. Get 2 tomatoes, cut in half and lose the pips and gunge from the middle, you should be left with the outer flesh, thinly dice this too. Dice thinly some cuecumber as well. Get some fresh green finger chillis, and some red chillis, thinly cut them too. Add the grated cheese to this mix and mix well in a bowl.

Toast some bread (i like to use sourdough for this, but any normal crusty loaf will suffice), in the toaster, butter when popped out, then add a nice handful of your mix on the toast, add a few drops of worcester sauce then Whack under the grill.

Simples. takes a while to prep but it tastes mighty fine baby. Cheese on toast ala Oll
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Wilma[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]OK, I've never cooked, don't even know how to turn the oven on to be honest.

But I've finally decided I want to start learning and get serious about it - so what's the best dishes to start with?

Jamie Oliver's Ministry of Food book is good for starting out, lots of basic recipes that are easy to learn inc. pasta, curry etc.

I keep meaning to try and branch out into savoury dishes but cookies/cakes are soooo easy and quick to make!!!

Cheers, just looked it up on Amazon, seems ideal.
  • Options
    yep salad Suzi nice spicy one.

here is an easy dish

smoked haddock poach it (5 mins max) then put in on a small green salad with, poach an egg put it on top on the fish. ------- healthy and only takes a few mins to prepare and cook.
  • Options
    OLI That sounds Great!

I will try it tomorrow for a late snack!
  • Options
    Its all in the amount of fresh coriander you use, it is awesome.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]I'm making lamb koftas tonight - but no idea what to cook with them - any ideas?

Greek Salad, Pitta's, Humous and The yogout thing that I can't spell

taramasalata? tzasiki? tirimasu or tommy ketchup?

good idea - gonna get some salad and gubbins tonight! healthy kebab time!
  • Options
    nth London Addick

'its called shepards pie cos of the meat used

its alrite you veggies giving it large about the poor little animals but make your own names for food dont nick us carnivors names

:-)

lentil shepards pie in very deed'

Giving it large? It's called shepherds pie because it used to contain cooked shepherd...FACT
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BUMP

I am off today, and want to whip up a storm in the in the old kitchin, but cant decide on what to do, any suggestions please Life dudes??
  • Options
    Get some large bruschetta breads (they do them in the deli in old bexley) toast them until they just start to go crisp, pour over some passata (sp) then whack a load of mozzerella, parma ham, fresh basil and drizzle with olive oil. Then chuck them back under the grill until the cheese starts to melt.

They only take about 5 minutes to prepare & cook and are lovely.
  • Options
    Feckinell Russ i never had you down as a chef. Sounds nice man, although the mrs is still in her fussy 'i'm pregnant i cant eat that' stage even tho she aint!!

Might do a lasagne, but replace mince with meatballs!! And use fresh pasta strips!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]Get some large bruschetta breads (they do them in the deli in old bexley) toast them until they just start to go crisp, pour over some passata (sp) then whack a load of mozzerella, parma ham, fresh basil and drizzle with olive oil. Then chuck them back under the grill until the cheese starts to melt.

They only take about 5 minutes to prepare & cook and are lovely.[/quote]

Just goes to prove that fat people make the best cooks ;-)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]BUMP

I am off today, and want to whip up a storm in the in the old kitchin, but cant decide on what to do, any suggestions please Life dudes??[/quote]

well it is around the time you should be making your christmas pudding and cake so I would get on with that.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]Get some large bruschetta breads (they do them in the deli in old bexley) toast them until they just start to go crisp, pour over some passata (sp) then whack a load of mozzerella, parma ham, fresh basil and drizzle with olive oil. Then chuck them back under the grill until the cheese starts to melt.

They only take about 5 minutes to prepare & cook and are lovely.

Had bruschetta for lunch today at Zizzi's ... superb.

Freshly-made garlic bruschetta topped with fresh mozzarella, cured Italian speck and pomodoro tomatoes. Finished with fresh basil and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
  • Options
    Ok folks, i decided on chicken breast butterflied open, Erikas filled with soft cheese, mine filled with stilton, and wrapped in smoked panchetta strips topped with some crushed dried chilli flakes and oragano, with butternut squash and potato mash, and tenderstem brockley, washed down with a nice glass of water. Will let know how it was!!
  • Options
    Next time you do that should deffinately whack some crushed ready salted crisps on top of the chicken breasts before cooking! The extra crunch makes it amazing
  • Options
    What between the chicken and Panch?? or on top of the Panch?? Do like the sound of that!!

Saw your name come up and i thought you was going to suggest bread and dripping, or a pot noodle!! ;-)