Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A question for the referees

Did anyone see Phil Jagielka's brilliant volley off the line? However, the volley went forwards (slightly) and into the goalkeeper's arms. Does this count as a backpass? Or, does the law specifically say that if the pass is forward anything goes? Jagielka certainly intended to volley it and probably intended it for the goalkeeper. Surely, this should be an indirect free kick on the goal line if a 'forward pass' counts as a 'backpass' - this would have been fun if nothing else.

Comments

• Options
    Was thinking the same TMA i don't think he ment that but suprised no one appealed. I think it should be allowed other wise it would be boring and they have the idirect freekick couple of yards away from the line
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The actual wording is 'touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked to him by a team-mate' Therefore the ball doesn't have to be played backwards and the referee must deem it to have been diliberate.

Also worth noting the word kicked as you can play the ball off your thigh or knee or even your shin if you want to push your luck. The word kicked refers to playing the ball with your foot.
  • Options
    It was a great clearance .... but surely Jagielka's intention was to clear his lines at all costs rather than seeking to deliberately kick the ball to his own keeper.

In which case no offence would appear to have occurred.

Generally, defenders don't usually try to slam a volley at their own keeper from close range!

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]Did anyone see Phil Jagielka's brilliant volley off the line? However, the volley went forwards (slightly) and into the goalkeeper's arms. Does this count as a backpass? Or, does the law specifically say that if the pass is forward anything goes? Jagielka certainly intended to volley it and probably intended it for the goalkeeper. Surely, this should be an indirect free kick on the goal line if a 'forward pass' counts as a 'backpass' - this would have been fun if nothing else.

I think the 'Intent' is the issue.
    I always feel the own goal thing has now gotout of hand.
    @Dubious Goals Committee '
    Here again is an issue of intent.