Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The terrorist attack in Pakistan.

Early days yet of course but my thoughts are that these guys were Tamils....I simply can't think of any other reason why this would have taken place....any other takes on it?

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Early days yet of course but my thoughts are that these guys were Tamils....I simply can't think of any other reason why this would have taken place....any other takes on it?

Yes, the attack has nothing to do with the Sri Lankans ethicity - it is an obvious scare tactic from the local Islamic nutbags to try and make Pakistan an impossible place for international sports teams to visit and thus place the country further into turmoil.

These people - and we are talking about serious Religious nutbags here - are intent on destabilising the country and isolating it from the international community and this attack is a key part of their campaign.

The NZ team had a bomb explode right next to their team bus in Pakistan a couple of years back and last year there was the massive bomb attack on the Marriott in Islamabad which is where most of the international cricketers and political/business VIP's stay when they are in the country.

Pakistan is really split between an educated middle-class in its urban centres that is Muslim but not extremist, quite similar to Turkey in many ways, and a rural underclass that clings to Islam doggedly and is easily swayed by the mad mullahs.

Sadly, this attack is likely to be very effective in turning Pakistan into a pariah state.
  • Options
    Mmmmm could be I guess...interesting to see what the next few hours brings....were all the terrorists killed by the way....as of now I've not heard.
  • Options
    I thought Tamil's when I first heard the news, however, Sri Lanka were a late replacement for India on this test, maybe the terrorists were so far advanced in their planning and commitment to attacking the Indian team initially, they were going to do it regardless of who the team were once India pulled out?
  • Options
    bloody hell....

this is shocking -absolutely shocking.

6 wounded cricketers - 5 coppers killed and the gunmen still on the loose
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Mmmmm could be I guess...interesting to see what the next few hours brings....were all the terrorists killed by the way....as of now I've not heard.

Apparently Sky news had pictures of some of the gunmen roaming the streets afterwards, 6 policeman dead, loads injured.
    Australia have not been there since 1998, I think it's the end of any touring teams there, and maybe this will have an affect on the IPL as well?
  • Options
    There is no reason for the Pakistani Muslim estremists to go after the Tamils (who represent only a minority of the Sri Lankan team anyway), any quarrels they have with them are very small beer indeed to the bigger battle which is going on in the country itself.

There are basically three groups in Pakistan vying for control of the country, 1) The educated urban political class represented by Nawaz Sharif and the rest, 2] The Religious extremists whose power base comes from the impoverished rural poor and 3] The military and intelligence services, epitomised by the infamous ISI, which have never been big fans of democracy and lurk in the background waiitng for a chance to take the wheel again.

The millitary and ISI have often collaborated or at least turned a blind eye to local extremist led terrorism in the past because that sort of activity strengthens their case that the country needs strong millitary leadership rather than a democratically elected government.

This whole thing is very, very complex and is often not quite what it seems and believe me this attack would have taken place whether it was Sri Lanka, West Indies or England touring.

The cricketers were not the target of the attack, the government was.
  • Options
    Presumably the West must continue to back the moderate Sharif and the turmoil and bloodshed will continue. How very depressing as the Islamic militants will basically succeed in their efforts to further de-stabilise Pakistan as more sportsmen will understandably refuse to travel there.
  • Options
    Could someone update me please...super busy at work and haven't got time to find out what's gone down since this morning.
  • Options
    Paul Farbrace the ex-Kent cricketer who was coaching with the Sri Lankans was caught up in the attack but is ok.
  • Options
    The cricketers were not the target of the attack, the government was.

Yep, they chose the Sri Lankans so as to make an impact internationally.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Could someone update me please...super busy at work and haven't got time to find out what's gone down since this morning.

Got this off the BBC website.

Two Sri Lanka players in hospital with shrapnel wounds.

The Pakistani politician Imran Khan, a former captain of the country's cricket team, said the Sri Lankan visitors had been given inadequate protection.
    "This was one of the worst security failures in Pakistan," he said. "The Pakistan government guaranteed the Sri Lankan cricket team that they would provide them security."

None of the attackers was killed or apprehended at the scene. Grenades and rocket launchers were found there, police said, and a manhunt is under way.

A Pakistani air force helicopter has now airlifted uninjured members of the Sri Lankan team out of the Gaddafi Stadium.
  • Options
    one person on the coach said they are alive down to the bravery of the driver who just continued driving through it all rather than stopping in panic, he just put his foot down apparently and drove to the stadium.
  • Options
    Oh dear oh dear....thanks!
  • Options
    Anyone else feel very uncomfrotable with Younis Khan's (pakistan captain) comments

"we usually go to the ground together but we were delayed today"

funny that eh?

Delayed for what reason. Not for one minute saying the players knew this was going to happen but maybe someone did and delayed them.
  • Options
    Chris Broad - who was match referee just done a press conference and he has slated big time the Police in Pakistan.

He said if you watch pictures you notice the police scarpered as soon as it kicked off and left us there as sitting ducks depsite us being told that our safety was guaranteed etc etc .

Damning damning verdict. He also said Pakistan have no friend in international cricket now despite the Pakistan cricket board chief saying they do.
  • Options
    As a muslim country Pakistans anti terrorist pro American stance has pissed off the extremists big time and the Pakistani State is a relatively easy yet high profile target for the bombers. I fear we can expect more of the same in the coming months and years.