Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Uckfield, East Sussex

Anyone live round there ?

Have a two-day golfing break coming up at East Sussex National. Looking for places to go for a beer up as we don't fancy the hotel bar all evening. Any pub recommendations if anyone is local ?

Comments

• Options
    Have a look around while you're there. We'll probably be playing them soon!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Anyone live round there ?

Have a two-day golfing break coming up at East Sussex National. Looking for places to go for a beer up as we don't fancy the hotel bar all evening. Any pub recommendations if anyone is local ?

When you going there , we've got one there in May ....
  • Options
    At least the weather forecast is a little better AFKA
    Weather in Uckfield :-)
  • Options
    I spent every summer of my childhood in uckfield. its a beautiful little town. The cinema is minute and remember going to see gremlins there when i was 12 and you had to be 15, but we were ok cos we went with our parents. I remember thinking it was really naughty.

my grandparents and my parents both had caravans down there, (a bit further on in framfield)

My dad often played golf at the course, so assume it was decent.
  • Options
    I've got a friend who used to live there - I'll get back to you...
  • Options
    isn't Uckfield where the actor Dirk Bogarde grew up and wrote so eloquently about in his autobiography "A Postillion Struck by Lightning"?
  • Options
    your grand-dad and parents lived in Caravans suz...

you little tinker you.

Im sure Uckfield was on the news recently, a dead body found there?
  • Options
    Played there on a couple of occasions. 2 nice testing courses. Sorry but unsure of any local decent pubs. Both were day trips.
  • Options
    It's about 20 minutes further down the road from where my wedding was Smudge.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]your grand-dad and parents lived in Caravans suz...

you little tinker you.

Im sure Uckfield was on the news recently, a dead body found there?

holiday caravans curb_it. the site shut from october to march.

it was on the news a while ago cos the whole place flooded cos its in a bit of a dip. not sure about the body thing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Right my contact called it F uckfield and she isn't given to swearing much. Suggested the town was a bit chav infested and said she stayed out of it where possible. Suggested the Chequers in Maresfield and the White Hart in Buxted. Or take yer checked cap!!
  • Options
    great :-(

cheers Morts
  • Options
    so everyone says positive things and you take the 1 negative comment as fact!

went there last summer, took my nan and mum for nostalgic reasons. it was lovely. had cake for a lovely tea room, had a walk around. yes, its got slightly more commercial but it was still cute and had lots of one off shops. i guess i remember it from when i was little so hold it with affection, and perhaps its not as nice.

there are nicer pubs (and more of them) on the road to uckfield - we never got there via motorway, but via biggin hill, westerham, edenbridge, east grinstead, new forest etc, you can find the route on a road map. if you head there go to drusillas zoo.
  • Options
    I just spoke to my cousin's dog's uncle.

They called it yuckfield
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I just spoke to my cousin's dog's uncle.

They called ityuckfield

you live in fartford.
  • Options
    and you live in loo
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]and you live in loo

that doesn't even work. I live in "Glee" obviously.

Dan, Stone's brother has a bike shop down there - he sells them to all the chavs.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]so everyone says positive things and you take the 1 negative comment as fact!

but he's was the only one that mentioned pubs !

I'll take your advice then, so look forward to exciting tales of a dozen blokes going for afternoon tea and cake, followed by a re-run of Gremlins at the quaint Picturehouse and a snooze. Splendid.
  • Options
    Very nice venue the East Sussex National. They had the European open there not long after it opened I believe. Went past it yesterday and indeed drove through Uckfield as I was driving to the Valley from seeing a client in Eastbourne. As Icrossed the River Uck I notice some local wit had had scrawled an 'F' in front of the uck (in crayon?? )

This of course doesn't help AFKA find a pup but I seem to remember a nice pub by a lake just south of the 'Morman Church' on the A22 called the wiremill http://www.thewiremill.co.uk/

Enjoy the golf AFKA.
    Wish I could join you.

BC
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Whatever happened to the Pub guide advertised on here?
  • Options
    www.thegriffininn.co.uk
    best pub in the area by a long chalk.
  • Options
    My pal lives in Uckfield, and he's Charlton, nice area.
  • Options

I used to M8 near Arlington (Home of Speedway)about 3 miles down the A22.
    1. Give Hailsham a miss , the original 'Pikey' town with some very rough old pubs. Ditto Polegate just down the road.
    2. Eastbourne head down there and check out the Bars close to the Theatre and and the area close to the
    Arndale Centre and by the Railway Staion, Terminus Road.
    3. For a more upmarket evening try the Pubs in Meads area of Eastbourne , posh totty country.
    Meads is on the West (Brighton side) of Eastbourne,
    $. If Eastbourne Borough are at Home , do yourself a favour and see a night of decent football
    Blue Sqyare Premier.
  • Options
    AFKA,I have lived in Uckfield for 20yrs,Its pretty 'country' down here,Uckfield only has two pubs,the only one I ever go in is the Cock and Bull then only for live footy.For good food the Middle House Mayfield[15mins] or the Griffin Fletching[10mins]The Kings Head East Hoathly[[10mins] brews its own beer so if you into that maybe thats an option.Lewes[10mins] has dozens of pubs for such a small town so is good for a pub crawl.Otherwise for anything more lively you will need to go to Brighton[20mins evening drive]If you go for the footy option let me know and I may join you.Good luck !