Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A Moral Dilema.....

As I write I am listening for 3/4 night in the last fortnight to a thumping bassline banging through my living room wall.

I have twice approached the prick who is doing this and each time he has grunted an apology and turned the sound down.

My daughter is currently ill and he has now woken her up. Just got her settled again.

My wife will be back from shopping in 10mins. Should I:

a) pop round and ask politely for him to turn the volume down as it has woken up my sick daughter and is disturbing the baby next door.

b) ignore it and then report him to the landlord and our callout environmental health

c) let myself in through the rear communal door to his block, put on a balaclava, knock on his door (remaining out of sight of the spyhole, wait for him to open the door, once the door opens cave his face in with the claw hammer in the hallway cupboard, insert the offending stereo into his rectum and then smash every item he owns in the flat.

Advice please.

Comments

• Options
    BDLBDL
    edited March 2009
    Anything but C as you will regret it later when the old bill come knocking and some out of touch Judge decides to send you down as a deterrent against vigilantes.

I've been there and it's feckin awful. I sympathise.

Try A then call your local Environmental Health office tomorrow. Speak to other neighbours and see if it's pissing them off too. The more the merrier.

Don't do C though, even though the so and so probably deserves it.
  • Options
    Trust me c) is soooooooooooooooo appealing but it was written with a major ;-).

God it made me feel better thinking about though.

Might pop to my local and see if I can pay a couple of chavs £20.00 to do it for me! ;-)
  • Options
    I suffered this many many years ago on the Ferrier Estate, sorry, but there is only one thing this numbnuts will understand, chin the mug.

C for me

If you dont deal with it, it can cause anxiety, stress and sleep deprivation, it is a serious issue, with respect to BDL, I went down the Environmental officer route, it doesn't work (or it didn't for me) it's too prolonged a process to be really affective.
  • Options
    You should show him that you are bloody angry (without chinning him at this stage)and also get him to come round so he can hear how loud it is from your side of the wall and what BDL says.
  • Options
    when i lived in a flat in sidcup , we had some noisey students down below so i dug out the agreemnet thingy and unsocial behaviour and noise stuff was on there and so i went down with it after a few times of going down to remonstrate with the doughnuts and was lucky enough to bump into the mum who owned the flat she apologised and reprimanded her daughter etc and we didn't hear anything
    but i was gonna flood them if it continued !!

it's an impossible situation cos all people are c**ts until proven otherwise .... good luck
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]it's an impossible situation cos all people are c**ts until proven otherwise .... good luck

Right on brother LOL
  • Options
    has to be C
  • Options
    I used to have the same problem with a guy above me who played Bob Marley 24/7 full blast. One day I got up for work turned on my 150 watt Marshall, stamped on the over drive, leant my Jazzmaster against the amp and went to work for the day. Seemed to do the trick.
  • Options
    Been there a couple of times.Some people have no idea how fu**ing noisy they are.Had to have a word with my neighbours just the other week.They're nice enough, but obviously forgot to send in their brain cell application form when god was dishing them out as i've honestly seen brighter cattle than this mob.
    The head plank of the household works funny shifts,and last week decided to do some DIY at 11 o clock PM.My little boy sleeps in the room directly next to them.I was round there in a shot.Managed to keep my cool and calmly tell them that it was not on.Noise stopped and havn't heard a peep since.
    How i resisted to barrage them with an array of insults that i have been carefully constucting over the past year or two i'll never know.There was some corkers in there too! Another time perhaps.

So if you've exhausted A) Probably wasting your time with B) so i reckon C) has got to be a definite option.
  • Options
    A quality thread this.

Have had problems over the last few months with neighbours next door and ignorent twats upstairs ...

You need to keep it together and just be nice about it ... but with a look in your eye ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We had this for a year when we lived in Charlton, next door had a speaker 6 foot high by 4 foot wide and would shake our house at all times of the morning and night, went round with me dad loads but they would turn it down then push it back up again 20mins later, old bill came round it would go off then hour later back on. we went to our local medaition centre and they got involved, turned out the dad worked nights and his druggy son was alone in the house, the dad was a nice bloke and was mental went he found out, what you have to do is keep a diary of the noise try to record it if poss, the bass from next door was not audable on me dads camcorder so we put a glass of water with some dye in it so you could it moving it feel off the shelf infact, had offer from friends of the family to sort it for us but we aint a violent family. there housing assocation got involved and they were told one more incident and they would be evicted. no mater how scummy people are the thought of being kicked out was enough to never have this problem again, in time we spoke to the guy and told him if he wanted to lay his music he could during the day but not at 3am, things got alot better. it drove us to our wits ends no sleep and fighting amonst ourselves but it was sorted, we moved a few years after and all we get now is the odd car driving pased with bass.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I once had a problem with a guy who liked to do aerobics in the flat above me. Not only was the music really loud but my ceiling was bouncing up and down as well. I asked him to give it a rest and in fairness he restricted it to the times that I was out. That is until the day the floor collapsed and he came crashing through into my flat. The poor bloke, not only did he break an ankle he got kicked out of the flat by the landlord and taken to court for damages...LOL
  • Options
    Having worked in estate mangement for 5 years I well know the grief this causes people.

I am also limited in the amount of action the Housing Association would take as officially we are lease holders (shared ownership).

It stopped around 10.30pm last night. I think he is on nights. Actually I know he is on nights.

When I went out to work this am 6am (2 hours earlier than usual). I buzzed him, no answer, so I buzzed again and again. Eventually the poor wee sleepy fellow answered. "Is John in"? "No wrong flat" "Are you sure?, he definitely said number 4" "This is number 3" "Oh, sorry mate".......as I walked off I could here him saying "thanks I'm on nights and you have just woken me ".

Skipped to work this am.
  • Options
    I work with EHO's so I'm biased BUT from what I understand it is easier these days to take action against this sort of charmer. The suggestions re:diary sheets, talking to other neighbours and letting the person know they are causing a problem will all count in your favour if it needs pursuing. My suggestion when it happens again would be to point out to them that you don't want to make it official but if he doesn't leave you any choice you will, which usually means he'll end up losing his stereo equipment and on the end of a fine.

C is very tempting, believe me I've been there, but in the climate we live, you are asking for trouble.
  • Options
    If you call out the EHO's & they take action - don't you have to then declare it when you sell your house?

We went through the same process with a verminous, stinky Chinese restaurant that opened next door to us, without planning permission or any form of ventilation/extraction/waste management/basic hygeine. (where Franks Cafe used to be on Woolwich Road)...

Long, long process but we got them closed down & the owner deported (as he was here illegally).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]If you call out the EHO's & they take action - don't you have to then declare it when you sell your house?

We went through the same process with a verminous, stinky Chinese restaurant that opened next door to us, without planning permission or any form of ventilation/extraction/waste management/basic hygeine. (where Franks Cafe used to be on Woolwich Road)...

Long, long process but we got them closed down & the owner deported (as he was here illegally).

You are supposed to yes mate but as I understand it if it's unlikely to effect the decision making process of the prospective buyer then you don't. For instance, if they've moved on to make someone else's life hell - no need...

BTW Not saying it don't happen but I've never heard of anyone being sued for non-declaration either.