Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cricket - Fifth Test

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]My view is that their should be an international pitch standard to bring the levels up because what we are seeing in the Windies will damage Test cricket in the long-term.

I agree with you there ormy, i love my test cricket, but for the first time ever this has literally bored me into watching something else, which is very much unlike me, those pitches are an absolute joke, and as you say these Windies tactics could be bad for test cricket in the long and short term!! Imagine someone turning that on and watching a test for the first time, then watching say the one day game in NZ v the Indians, i know what they would rather be interested in, and it sickens me to think this, as i am not that much a fan of the shorter version of the game!!

I hope that the Windies are pleased with themselves, because even without the dodgy boring tactics they probably would of beaten us anyway!! They must be so desperate to win a series!!

When was the last time the West Indies won a series ...
  • Options
    When was the last time the West Indies won a series ...

I think they turned over Bangladesh in 2004 1-0 in a two match series.
  • Options
    Exactly ... you should listen to TMS and understand why this is the best thing to happen in West Indian cricket for 20 years
  • Options
    This is a very poor series imo. People don't want to watch 600 play 700 and then end in a draw after 5 days. The authorities have got to try and give something to both the batsmen and bowlers and make it a decent contest or test cricket will lose its appeal.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]Exactly ... you should listen to TMS and understand why this is the best thing to happen in West Indian cricket for 20 years

Undeniably West Indies cricket has been through a rough patch since the likes of Walsh, Ambrose and then Lara retired. Since then they've scarcely had a player who'd get into a World XI and have been pretty woeful both home and away.

Given the demise of Stanford who was under-writing much of West Indies cricket it may also prove to be a false dawn.
  • Options
    I don't see the problem really. Sure it's not the greatest game to watch, but the Windies have plan & have stuck to it. Chanderpaul & Nash have batted extremely well - good luck to them.

Recent Windies teams would have collapsed to an innings defeat in the face of such a big England score.

I would happily take a reinvigorated Windies cricket scene on the back of a test series win, over an England victory.

The cricket world is just not right without them competing.

I think the building blocks are there, some talented players coming through - Benn, Simmons, Jerome Taylor and a lot of players in the age range (28 - 32) when they should be at their peak.
  • Options
    Surely as the home side it's their right to prepare a wicket that suits them and gives them the best chance of winning? Which they've done.
    Admittedly it's not been very enjoyable to watch but as Stuart Broad said it's Englands own fault they've lost this series for being skittled for 51 in the 1st test.
  • Options
    With so few Test playing nations the cricketing world needs the West Indies, moreover with Zimbabwe and Bangladesh weak and Pakistan probably not likely to play much Test cricket (at least in Pakistan) having another international team that gets steamrollered isn't good for Test cricket.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Surely as the home side it's their right to prepare a wicket that suits them and gives them the best chance of winning? Which they've done.
    Admittedly it's not been very enjoyable to watch but as Stuart Broad said it's Englands own fault they've lost this series for being skittled for 51 in the 1st test.

exactly, although England must still harbour faint hopes of winning this game - could have done with Chanderpaul going just then
  • Options
    Yes, its good to see the Windies competitive again but not at this price to the broader game.

Going into a Test match with only three front line bowlers in an attempt to bat time and draw the game is just awful stuff from a cricketing POV, it will do nothing to encourage the crowds back for Test cricket in the Carribean.

In addition, the thousands of English fans that go out there to watch the Test series - pumping millions into the economy - are not going to return if they get served up these snooze fests.

This is not the way forward for Test cricket, it has to do better than this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2009
    27/2 with Shah just out - maybe there will be a result!!
  • Options
    Are we going a bit 20/20 hindsight in saying that the pitches preferred the Windies? We collapsed abysmally early in the series. I liked Amjad but if he's being recruited for a sledgeing match with the Aussies we need better selectors?
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Darren[/cite]Are we going a bit 20/20 hindsight in saying that the pitches preferred the Windies? We collapsed abysmally early in the series. I liked Amjad but if he's being recruited for a sledgeing match with the Aussies we need better selectors?

We collapsed once, in Jamaica.

Leaving out that 1st Test we have since scored.....

4th Test: 546-6 & 81-3,
    3rd Test: 600-6 & 279-2
    2nd Test: 566-9 & 221-8 (chasing quick runs).

That's 2293 runs in 5 and half innings for the loss of only 34 wickets - we have not been bowled out once!!! That's also averaging 67 runs per wicket which is pretty dull stuff in terms of making a fair game between bat and ball.

The Windies have scored
    4th Test: 544
    3rd Test: 749-9
    2nd Test: 285 & 370-9

That's 1948 runs in FOUR innings for the loss of 38 wickets, leaving an average of 51 runs per wicket, which is still much higher than what it should be in a decent match.

I think that FIVE scores of 500+, including one 600 score and a 749, in just 10 innings is not a very healthy state of affairs.

I mean, FFS, Prior's hundred yesterday was an embarrassment, he'd probably score more difficult 50's playing Grade cricket here in Brisbane, in fact, I know he would!!!
  • Options
    Similarly Brendan Nash is in the honest trier category for the Windies - bear in mind his Australian State side didn't renew his last contract, yet he can get into the West Indies Test squad.

The bottom line is that the pitches for this series haven't been up to Test match standard.
  • Options
    Today could be interesting, do England go for it and try and score quick runs and set the Windies a target of 300 in around 45/50 overs? Although with three wickets down a couple of quick wickets could see England holding on for a draw.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Today could be interesting, do England go for it and try and score quick runs and set the Windies a target of 300 in around 45/50 overs? Although with three wickets down a couple of quick wickets could see England holding on for a draw.

Might as well lose the seies 2-0 as 1-0 if going for it doesn't work out.

At least by going for it there is a MINISCULE chance of sharing the series.
  • Options
    101-4 Collingwood out
  • Options
    172/4 and most of the runs have come from Matty Prior this morning.

Looks like England are going for it...
  • Options
    A lead of 200 now...
  • Options
    another 20 quick runs and dangle that carrot please strausser! gotta be worth it!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I reckon about 250...
  • Options
    If they get em quick enough 250 would be ok, i would fancy us to get em juts before lunch! i would rather lose 2-0 and go down fighting, need to get all them boring batsmen out, more overs the better!!!! What do i know tho haha
  • Options
    I don't think Strauss will declare before Pietersen gets his 100, unless he gets out first.
  • Options
    Oh yeah course, silly me!!! 250 it is then haha
  • Options
    fantastic stuff from KP

anyone got a link to watch on the internet?

people have posted one in the past
  • Options
    KP has his ton, and no declaration yet...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]fantastic stuff from KP

anyone got a link to watch on the internet?

people have posted one in the past

Google streaming TV + West Indies + England and you'll get afew choices, it depends which works best with your PC.
  • Options
    Lunch and 237/6, KP out caught at deep midwicket, a declaration now would set the Windies 240 off 66 overs, just enough to tempt them...
  • Options
    Yeah tempt them into blocking out 66 overs !!!!
    There is no way they will go for whatever target.
    My advice is put 4 men in close, and dig in 5 balls an over at their ribcages. Just make sure not too high so they can duck.
  • Options
    32/2 both openers out...

55 overs left.