Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Going on a lino/asst refs course - is it worth it?

My son's team go up to 11 a side next season and the team has to provide a lino every game.

The coach was asking some of the dads (and mums) if they would be willing to go on a course to get qualified.

not worried about the course but is it worth running the line or too much hassle. Also how fit do you need to be? Want to help out as the coaches put a lot of time in and I feel I should contribute if I can.

Wondered if anyone else does it. Any views.

Comments

• Options
    I run the line for both of my boys teams when I can. I haven't done the course but work with a fully qualified ref of 20 years who gave me a good few lectues. There is one fundamental thing that ruins kids games and that is linesmen not knowing the off-side law.
    You get too many older blokes who have the attitude of "I do it the old fashioned way, if he's offside he's offside. If he's not interfering with play then why's he on the pitch etc etc..."
    The new, well not that new, off-side law is very good if implemented properly. It helps the game flow but not keep stopping when someone is in an offside position but 30 yards away from the play or when a ball is played forward you don't flag until the ball actually reaches an attacker who is off-side. Many through balls don't reach there intended target so you keep your flag down and play continues.
    If you have a good ref he will tell you to concentrate on virtually offside alone and he'll do the rest.
    Once you are totally happy with the law and have the confidence to implement it properly you will get really frustrated with other incompetent linos and uneducated parents and fans at pro games. Then you can put sanctimonious posts on here like me.
    As for reffing, totally different I don't fancy that, so much to look at.
  • Options
    yeah definitely

it will keep you fit and you can cheat like all the other dad's that run lines to help their childrens team win. :-)) just kidding

didn't realise they did lino courses
  • Options
    That's a nice cardigan, Henry.

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]That's a nice cardigan, Henry.

;o)

Do you think so? No one's ever commented on it before

To be pedantic is actually a zip up jumper from Uniqlo and not a cardigan but I can see how some people, with no idea of fashion or style, could make that simple error.

: - )
  • Options
    I see.

Do you still wear it, Henry?

It'll help keep you warm under your anorak when you're running the line.

;o)
  • Options
    If you go on the course be prepared for your view of the game to change and you may even sympathise with officials.

One of the guys that sits next to me is a qualified linesman and it infurates me that he is able to rationally and logically justify decisions. Hew never moved on Saturday, while I was jumping up and down celebrating Burtons "goal".

I'll avoid comments re fashion sense
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]If you go on the course be prepared for your view of the game to change and you may even sympathise with officials.

One of the guys that sits next to me is a qualified linesman and it infurates me that he is able to rationally and logically justify decisions. Hew never moved on Saturday, while I was jumping up and down celebrating Burtons "goal".

That is so tru. It infuriates me as well cos I used to love nothing more than slagging a ref off and say it's all their fault.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]123658254312862?2589117125

My, the back of Hnery's hand is very hairy.. Looks like Richard Keys
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]If you go on the course be prepared for your view of the game to change and you may even sympathise with officials.

I wish Kap, I wish : - )

I didn't jump up as the lino had put his flag up about 3 seconds before the ball went in. Correctly from what I saw but I wasn't in line and was watching the play not the last man.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hope you are up for all the abuse Henners ! - "Whose the wa*ker in the cardigan" etc... ;0)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Hope you are up for all the abuse Henners ! - "Whose the wa*ker in the cardigan" etc... ;0)

I think I might just have had some preparation for mindless, jealous and obsessive abuse recently so I think I'll cope somehow : - )

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll do the course but hope that someone else is keener to run the line when it comes to it.
  • Options
    Actually I think a lot of us fans should take the trouble to know the rules for the game we so keenly discuss. Might do it myself. Good luck with it Henry. Be interested when you report back.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Actually I think a lot of us fans should take the trouble to know the rules for the game we so keenly discuss. Might do it myself. Good luck with it Henry. Be interested when you report back.

Good point. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]My son's team go up to 11 a side next season and the team has to provide a lino every game.

The coach was asking some of the dads (and mums) if they would be willing to go on a course to get qualified.

not worried about the course but is it worth running the line or too much hassle. Also how fit do you need to be? Want to help out as the coaches put a lot of time in and I feel I should contribute if I can.

Wondered if anyone else does it. Any views.
    I think Henry is referring to the workshop I deliver for the SELKent League. As far as I know we're the only league who does such a workshop and we offer it as a service to all our member clubs.

Is running the line a hassle? If i said no i'd be lying. Does it change the way you see things? Yes Is it worth it? Definitely, absolutely!

The point of doing the workshops is to improve standards and to enhance the footballing experience in our league and in kids' football in general. It's not a fix all by any means but as Chirpy said one of the first steps to better behaviour all round is better officiating (mind you I'd disagree that the one fundamental thing that ruins kids games is linesmen not knowing the off-side law - I'd put parents and spectators mouthing off at what they perceive as poor decisions far higher than that!).

Everyone who attends learns something - including a better understanding of the offisde law and its application - and IMO this all makes for better playing conditions for all our children.
  • Options
    Defo doing it now that I know CFW is doing it.

As he's a Charlton fan I know he'll pass me regardless of how bad I am : - )

Good on you CFW and look forward to seeing you again.

Trying to forget the last time we met (not cos of you but due to the final outcome)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Defo doing it now that I know CFW is doing it.

Trying to forget the last time we met (not cos of you but due to the final outcome)[/quote]

C'mon (Sir)Henry, you can't leave it there...............
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: miserableold-ish git[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Defo doing it now that I know CFW is doing it.

Trying to forget the last time we met (not cos of you but due to the final outcome)

The last time we met was at the Valley when we were part of the heaving throng (of 5) who were waiting for Sky to report the details of the Zabeel takeover. Nuff said!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Defo doing it now that I know CFW is doing it.

You don't want to know MOG, it will bring back bad memories : - )

Me, Rothko and Tavern had a go but CFW wouldn't.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

LOL...unaccustomed as I am to public speaking! What could I say that hadn't already been said so well!!

You don't want to know MOG, it will bring back bad memories : - )

Me, Rothko and Tavern had a go but CFW wouldn't.
    LOL...unaccustomed as I am to speaking in public! Seriously though...how could I possibly follow that trio!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cardigans are the new pink