Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Only in Britain

Swimmers at an outdoor London pool have been warned they will have to leave the water if it rains too much because of health and safety rules.

The bizarre policy - the first known example of a pool declaring it is too wet to swim - has been introduced at the London Fields Lido in Hackney.

Comments

• Options
    FFS
  • Options
    Bogging hell !
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I've been to that Lido. Used to live on London Fields before it was trendy.

Great book about lidos in a great series on games and buildings they were played in.
  • Options
    Off topic but weather related.

The wind chill here this morning is -37C. Anyone want to go out & warm up the car for me before I hit the road in 20 minutes :-0

- friggin 37 i ask yer!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Off topic but weather related.

The wind chill here this morning is -37C. Anyone want to go out & warm up the car for me before I hit the road in 20 minutes :-0

- friggin 37 i ask yer!

I bet the buses and trains are still running where you are :)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: addick1965[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Off topic but weather related.

- friggin 37 i ask yer!

I bet the buses and trains are still running where you are :)

Yes - but to be fair the snow is like talcum powder rather than that wet stuff you get back home.
  • Options
    Anyone ever been to the lido in Herne Hill?
  • Options
    I used to jump over the wall at Charlton Lido, in the late summer nights of the early 80's and swim for free with pals.
  • Options
    Charlton lido was always friggin cold.....I'd rather swim in the North Sea....brrrrrrr
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]Charlton lido was always friggin cold.....I'd rather swim in the North Sea....brrrrrrr

I remember diving (Showing off) off the top board at Charlton Lido and doing myself some damage!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I managed to nearly drown in Danson Park lido when I was about 8.

Hmmmm, I thought you'd be fascinated by that.
  • Options
    I was out swimming in Tonbridge Outdoor Pool (not sure what defines these places as Lidos) on 2nd Nov 2008 at 9pm.

It opens again on 1st April!!!

Bit worried if Tonbridge adopt the 'Too much rain' approach of Hackney. The flood water was lapping up against the walls a few weeks back but I guess that doesnt qualify as drowning in a flooded river probably ticks all the Health and Safety boxes.
  • Options
    Fair play, lightning hazard
  • Options
    lol hilarious.

i saw that on the ES billboard earlier.
  • Options
    The one in gillingham don't even open until late May. One of the only things about Medway I truly love is that outdoor pool
  • Options
    The southlands lido in Bromley,or skinny dipping in the Convent school, plaistow lane.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]I was out swimming in Tonbridge Outdoor Pool (not sure what defines these places as Lidos) on 2nd Nov 2008 at 9pm.

Bit worried if Tonbridge adopt the 'Too much rain' approach of Hackney. The flood water was lapping up against the walls a few weeks back but I guess that doesnt qualify as drowning in a flooded river probably ticks all the Health and Safety boxes.

Lido is unheated, outdoor swimming pool is heated - simples...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]I was out swimming in Tonbridge Outdoor Pool (not sure what defines these places as Lidos) on 2nd Nov 2008 at 9pm.

Lido is unheated, outdoor swimming pool is heated - simples...

Cheers Algarve. Tonbridge is most certainly heated. Understood too that they do have a rule about potential lightning risks which maybe is no different to Hackney. Personally I would be happy to accept the risk. Being poached doesnt sound the worst way to go.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]Being poached doesnt sound the worst way to go.

You could always go there on a Fried day.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]The one in gillingham don't even open until late May. One of the only things about Medway I truly love is that outdoor pool

Strand? Was down there a couple of weeks ago - you wouldnt want to swim in there at the moment. Bright green water and it's been inhabited by huge Medway seagulls...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Used to go to the strand every weekend when my grandad lived in twydall!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]I remember diving (Showing off) off the top board at Charlton Lido and doing myself some damage!
    back_slam.jpg
  • Options
    Gillingham lido, looks fun..

redneck-swimming-pool.jpg
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]I remember diving (Showing off) off the top board at Charlton Lido and doing myself some damage![/quote]
    [img h=296 w=310]http://sportzfun.com/photos/albums/swimming/back_slam.jpg[/img][/quote]

Thats exactly how I did it, Lol