Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shaun Bartlett

2»

Comments

• edited May 2015
    edited below
  • Never forget his debut for us against Man Utd when he should have had an Hat-Trick.

Euell / Bartlett / Johansson must be one of the most unattractive Strike forces to have graced the Premier League but they all did the job for us
  • I'm going to Durban in five weeks. I might see if I can catch up with him
  • That bloke I mentioned who scored called Charlton is Charlton Mashumba who plays for Jomo Cosmos and comes from Zimbabwe.
  • LenGlover said:

Bartlett typical boring Curbishley player.

We really did play rubbish back then.

What we've watched for the last 3 seasons is proper football.

Give me those Curbs times every day of the week over the crap of thelast 3 seasons!

But those seasons were so short, 40 points by end of Feb and downhill after that.
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32581991

Shaun Bartlett has paid tribute to the role Charlton Athletic played in his evolution from top-notch striker to promising coach after winning promotion with Lamontville Golden Arrows of Durban to the top flight of South African football.

The former Bafana Bafana captain achieved the feat in his first full season in charge, and only a year the team were relegated from the Premier Soccer League.

He told BBC Sport: "I'm thankful to the people in England who set me on the path to my coaching badges."

Arrows secured their place with a home draw on Sunday to move out of the reach of the chasing pack in the 16-team division.

With only two defeats in 29 games this season - they have one match left next Sunday - and an impressive run to the cup quarter-finals, it has been a dream season for the 42-year-old Bartlett.

"It's very difficult at this moment in time to put it all into words," said Bartlett, who played for Charlton between 2000 and 2006.

"I'm still trying to get over the emotional side of it, but the great satisfaction for us as a team, and me as a coach, is that we achieved the goal we set out on day one of the pre-season.

"It's never easy to bounce back after one season of rebuilding the whole team and me obviously as an inexperienced coach in my first head coaching job. It was a challenging season but with the support I had, it all contributed to the success."

Bartlett celebrates scoring for Charlton in 2005 - he hit 24 goals in 123 games for the club

Bartlett, who was a youthful but prominent member of the South African side that won the 1996 African Cup of Nations, has very quickly made a name for himself on the bench to match his status as one of the country's best strikers.

But he wants to set modest ambitions for his club next season and work slowly but consistently on improving.

"I'm a coach who wants to achieve things. It's what I said to the players at the beginning of the season. I'm not going to settle for second best. I'm very pleased and proud of what my players have achieved," he said.

"I've still got a long way to go. I'll be honest when I say that when we started the season not many people gave me a chance but I've always had the confidence in my own ability.

"On day one of the pre-season I said to the players, 'I'm here as your head coach, what I've done as a player is out of the window'.

"Any player making that transition will tell you that. All our past achievements go out the window although obviously you try to bring the experience from playing into your mentality, how you want to play and approach the game.

"But as far as the coaching side is concerned, I've got a long way to go and this is just part of my learning curve."

Bartlett, who is South Africa's second-highest all-time scorer with 29 goals in 74 caps, returned home to play at Kaizer Chiefs and Bloemfontein Celtic after his spell with Charlton before turning to the coaching profession.

He has Uefa qualifications which he completed in England during his playing days.
  • Riviera said:

LenGlover said:

Bartlett typical boring Curbishley player.

We really did play rubbish back then.

What we've watched for the last 3 seasons is proper football.

Give me those Curbs times every day of the week over the crap of thelast 3 seasons!

But those seasons were so short, 40 points by end of Feb and downhill after that.
    And wouldn't we all like to have those days back
  • Never forget his debut for us against Man Utd when he should have had an Hat-Trick.

Euell / Bartlett / Johansson must be one of the most unattractive Strike forces to have graced the Premier League but they all did the job for us

His debut was the week before, coming on as a sub away to Liverpool/ The Man U games was his full/home debut.
  • Sponsored links:

His debut was the week before, coming on as a sub away to Liverpool/ The Man U games was his full/home debut.
    I was only 5 at the time but that is still the game that really got me hooked onto football and Charlton. Haven't looked back since!

Brilliant to see Shaun saying that on Twitter. There are countless anecdotes about him and what a genuine quality bloke he was and still is.
  • Probably be the next one signed on a short term deal
  • As mentioned earlier in the thread, surely we've got to sign this bloke......

http://uk.soccerway.com/players/charlton-mashumba/250848/
  • As mentioned earlier in the thread, surely we've got to sign this bloke......

http://uk.soccerway.com/players/charlton-mashumba/250848/

But does he have a Belgium passport?

I was only 5 at the time but that is still the game that really got me hooked onto football and Charlton. Haven't looked back since!

Brilliant to see Shaun saying that on Twitter. There are countless anecdotes about him and what a genuine quality bloke he was and still is.
    Was listening to Mark Gleason, the BBC's football correspondent for Africa, and he was highly complementary towards Bartlett. He is a pundit on South African TV (after being sacked as a manager in the pre-season immediately following getting his side promoted!) and often mentions Charlton.
  • Has recently been appointed manager of the University of Pretoria who are actually in the African Premier League according to the World Football Phone In.
  • Newcastle United have confirmed the exit of South Africa youth international striker Tyrique Bartlett after an injury-hit campaign.
    Bartlett, 20, joined the historic English club from AmaTuks in January 2017 but saw his progress hampered this season by a serious knee injury.
    And the Magpies has since confirmed the son of Bafana Bafana legend Shaun Bartlett joins Senegal midfielder Mohamed Diame and six others out St James Park.
    https://www.kickoff.com/news/articles/world-news/categories/news/english-premier-league/tyrique-bartlett-sa-youth-international-striker-departs-premier-league-outfit-newcastle-united/656524
  • clive said:
    Newcastle United have confirmed the exit of South Africa youth international striker Tyrique Bartlett after an injury-hit campaign.
    Bartlett, 20, joined the historic English club from AmaTuks in January 2017 but saw his progress hampered this season by a serious knee injury.
    And the Magpies has since confirmed the son of Bafana Bafana legend Shaun Bartlett joins Senegal midfielder Mohamed Diame and six others out St James Park.
    https://www.kickoff.com/news/articles/world-news/categories/news/english-premier-league/tyrique-bartlett-sa-youth-international-striker-departs-premier-league-outfit-newcastle-united/656524
    Worth a cheap punt? Or injury too high risk?
  • Sponsored links:

• Shaun was the biggest aerial threat I ever saw at The Valley. He seemed to defy gravity.
  • Addickted said:
    Shaun was the biggest aerial threat I ever saw at The Valley. He seemed to defy gravity.
    He was ok but nowhere near as good as Matt Tees. 
  • He hinted that something was in the offing on Charlton TV at the weekend. Wishing him every success.
  • I’m delighted for him.
    Beautiful man 🥰
  • He does well with Spurs.