Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Advice/Help please. Ref:Washing Machines.

We've got a Indesit WD12 machine, had it for 4 years.
Tried to do the washing yesterday, the machine went through the usual, fill up with water,spin, etc.
One thing that did not happen was the actual washing in the "drum" moving.
It made all the right noises, but the "drum" stayed still.
Was "told" that there is a belt (like a fan/drive belt in a car) and that may be the problem.
Three questions:

1). Are there any people on here who can advise/ and or help ?
2). Is it worth getting fixed after 4 years or so (seen these advertised at £330) ?
3). How much we looking at to get someone over to look at it ?

Thanks again people.
P.

Comments

• Options
    check the filter 1st if that's blocked it can sometimes stop thesethings working.

3. can range from anything to anything - go on trustatrader.com or diynot.com got some decent forums on there could ask teh same questions
  • Options
    Personally I'd buy a new one but then I am frivolous at times.

I tend to find that one thing leads to another and so on - so I just get a new one
  • Options
    Same thing happened to ours and it was a circuit board problem. If the belt or motor bushes (?brushes) go then apparently it won't spin. I might of course have been scammed. When I discovered that most washing machines have a life expectancy of 4-5 years, I decided that the repairs were too costly (£160) and joined the throw away society. After much research, I got an expensive AEG which has so far lived up to its reputation of being very reliable even with some pretty extreme use which is what I needed at the time.
  • Options
    I know a very reasonable washing machine repair man if you need, drop me a whisper.
  • Options
    Disconnect it from the electrical supply. Remove the back panel (usually around eight screws) If the belt has broken (which is likely from your fault description) Buy a replacement fit it yourself. Usually just a case of slackening the motor fixing bolt(s) to get the belt on. Sometimes it will fit by getting an assistant to 'pull' the drum down on it's suspension.
    Don't know where you're based, but Automatica in Crayford will sell you the belt. (no i don't work for them)
    Any decent machine should be good for 5yrs hard service. But if you get into the realms of half the cost of a replacement, for a repair. Probably best to sling it.
  • Options
    Really, really appreciate all these ideas.
    Thanks again geezers !!
    P & S.

(If only the players could help eachother out like this............)
  • Options
    I would recommend getting it fixed. We have had our washing machine 11 years now with very few issues. It has had a couple of repairs in that time that have cost less than £50.

The guy I spoke to at the spares shop i last went to said virtually everything on a washing machine is replacable for reasonable money so there is rarely a need to replace the whole thing.
  • Options
    its easy to take back off and see if its the belt. Thompsons local has many repair companys in it.
  • Options
    Hi I used to be a service engineer so have whispered you to have a chat about the machine
  • Options
    When you take the back off, if the belt looks OK, the next thing to look at is the motor. Check to see if it's turning when you run the machine - it probably won't be - but it may spark like hell. That indicates that the motor brushes are worn down. You can replace these (or get them replaced) relatively easily and quite cheaply. I've done that a few times over the years. They are small blocks of carbon which are spring-loaded into slots in the motor.

It's one of those jobs that seems daunting at first but, once you've done it, you realise how easy it is and how the experts earn their money.

Goes without saying ......... keep your wits about you if you are poking around in the back of a washing machine with the mains power on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did you spor? wish i had known that... our last washing machine, the front glass part blew out the door of the machine. nearly done Ian in the back of the head... i was gutted i missed that!

RIP the washing machine, very nearly Tavern.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Did you spor? wish i had known that... our last washing machine, the front glass part blew out the door of the machine. nearly done Ian in the back of the head... i was gutted i missed that!

RIP the washing machine, very nearly Tavern.

What missed the glass or the entertainment of watching Ian nearly getting it? One for You've Been Framed that!
  • Options
    Thanks again y'all !
    Gonna have a go later;
    If you hear a big bang coming from the Sydenham area............
  • Options
    Thought you'd be glad to know I fixed it last night, without any explosions !
    Thank you all again.
    P.
  • Options
    Come on spill the beans.........what was it?