Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

curbs, charlton and west ham & you just know it will happen

in case it doesn't quite read that way, this post is not meant to take anything away from what curbs did for charlton but...

i think what curbs did for charlton was being in the right place at the right time...circumstances created by adversity was the catalyst that blew away the old charlton we older chaps look back fondly on but in reality was the pants if we're really honest...

lennie started it, lets not forget that he got us into the top flight after we'd almost gone bust and then had to leave our 'own' ground...the play-off year ?, well that followed an unbelievably crap season that had charlton fans ignoring the events on the pitch and probably making more noise throughout the game than 3 times as many fans make today...

and then promotion all came down to one kick of the ball, or mis-kick of the ball...pl status thereafter can generally be pinpointed to two key players in kinsella and parker (& the money we got for the latter thereafter)...and in recent seasons we've occasionally promised but mostly disappointed...

curbs was becoming like the comfortable old pair of shoes we all have for knocking around in that your misses says you should get rid of but you dont until one day they 'go' of their own accord and you get new 'knocking around' shoes but they need to be worn in before you get comfortable with them (but then throw to the back of the coupbard and buy another pair, or two before you find the ones that are just right)...

personnally, i dont think i could have taken another season like the last one but anyway i digress...looking at the headlines of curbs going to west ham i cant thinking that for the many great things curbs did for us here he is unintentionally teeing up another one because the problems at upton park are reportedly down to the existing players and you dont sort that out in half a season so i can just see west ham nicking that 3rd from bottom spot now and pushing charlton into the 4th from bottom spot at the end of the season...

Comments

• Options
    i think i agree with some of your points but please use paragraphs!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]

...looking at the headlines of curbs going to west ham i cant thinking that for the many great things curbs did for us here he is unintentionally teeing up another one because the problems at upton park are reportedly down to the existing players and you dont sort that out in half a season so i can just see west ham nicking that 3rd from bottom spot now and pushing charlton into the 4th from bottom spot at the end of the season...

half a season ?...seems like 5 to 6 seasons could be the going rate...
  • Options
    good fa cup run last season.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]

...looking at the headlines of curbs going to west ham i cant thinking that for the many great things curbs did for us here he is unintentionally teeing up another one because the problems at upton park are reportedly down to the existing players and you dont sort that out in half a season so i can just see west ham nicking that 3rd from bottom spot now and pushing charlton into the 4th from bottom spot at the end of the season...[/quote]

half a season ?...seems like 5 to 6 seasons could be the going rate...[/quote]

or even that 2nd from bottom spot and pushing us into 4th from bottom...
  • Options
    Agent Curbs......still working for us.
  • Options
    What has happened to West Ham is not a one-off, in fact, it is almost identical to the Ipswich scenario of 4/5 years ago.

Remember their first season in the Prem? Did brilliantly and qualified for a UEFA spot only to get relegated the next season after a dismal start to the campaign.

Part of the problem was that they tried to move to the "next level" by bringing in expensive players like Finidi George and a couple of others but it created resentment and just did not work.

The gap between finishing 7th and 8th and being in relegation trouble is not that massive at all, it can come down to five or six games being lost instead of won by the only goal and you are bang in trouble.

We could easily have been in relegation trouble last year but sneaked enough jammy wins to stay out of trouble.
  • Options
    Very good point actually. Pompey currently 7th have 49 points, 4 less wins and they'd be slap bang in trouble.