Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

R E S P E C T to Oggy

edited March 2009 in General Charlton
Credit indeed for turning out at the Meridian !

I was thinking about those balmy days back in the late 70's (77?),and playing in that first inaurgrial game to re open the Meridian after spending most weekends in that summer cutting grass and general getting the old AEI ground back in to shape. Jimmy Giles and a few Charlton faces , maybe even Theo Foley turned up to watch the first game. A Meridian 'Select' vs a good AEI Siemens Team. Oggy was in that team too.

32 Years ago , and now back in the Third Division once again!

Comments

• Options
    Well remember contributing to all the hard work that went into getting the ground back into shape after all those years of neglect. I was with NTV, which club were you with Nelse?
  • Options
    Union 97 the old Woolwich and District
    League
  • Options
    I've just packed a rather drunk Oggy on a train out to deepest kent.

No one would be surprised, he actually had a pair of rose-tinted glasses with him, and was stumbling down the platform singing 'we are staying up'.

Great to see you Oggs, top fella.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Oggy = Legend!

Top man Oggy cheers for coming today
  • Options
    great to meet oggy and his glasses today, he is as good a fella as i thought he would be,and christ you wouldn't argue with nelsonout he's ferckin huge
  • Options
    Pleasure to meet the man today and have a chat.
  • Options
    Did I spot the great man with Mr Bartram? was about to say hi and they didn't reappear for the second half at not in Afka's normal seat.
  • Options
    we got stuck out back with an extra beer TCE. I did point your out to him though.
  • Options
    Oggy, great to see you in Bartrams today and long may you have your rose tinted specs - we might need them.
  • Options
    Have also met oggy and have also witnessed him playing, really nice chap.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]we got stuck out back with an extra beer TCE. I did point your out to him though.

Judging by the "old school" Charlton songs being sung you looked like you were rocking in the first half :)
    Quote, the bloke behind me: Whats up with "Red Army" I know the words to that one. LOl
  • Options
    that weren't oggy singin the old songs,it was me and the boys up the back of m block,The answer my freiend is robbo on the wing the answer is robbo on the wing.How many goals must the charlton score.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]that weren't oggy singin the old songs,it was me and the boys up the back of m block,The answer my freiend is robbo on the wing the answer is robbo on the wing.How many goals must the charlton score.

Ah it was you guys that started it, but when I turned around Mr Bartram was in fine voice and looked like he and "Young Oggy" had a good session in the Liberal (and that was before half time) ;)

Whose that scoring goals amongst others was sung, but alas I didnt hear "Goodbye Horse" thats always good for a few (what the feck are they sing about a horse for) looks in the the surrounding seats ;)
  • Options
    Nelseout, I used to know Peter Page reasonably well as well as many of the Union 97 faces, although I can't remember names. Having said that, I do remember your keeper's nickname - Teflon the non-stick goalkeeper wasn't it? The reason I remember him so well is probably because he's one of the few keepers I ever scored against, playing for NTV reserves one Sunday morning at the Meridian long long ago

You're not Teflon are you?
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Big in Brasov[/cite]Nelseout, I used to know Peter Page reasonably well as well as many of the Union 97 faces, although I can't remember names. Having said that, I do remember your keeper's nickname - Teflon the non-stick goalkeeper wasn't it? The reason I remember him so well is probably because he's one of the few keepers I ever scored against, playing for NTV reserves one Sunday morning at the Meridian long long ago

No Fella I 've never been a Goalkeeper, more Frank Worthigtonesque
  • Options
    nice to see you also Nelseout after a few years.
  • Options
    Cheers . I've have to sort out the 'Dennis Law' Mitre boots out for the next one.
  • Options
    I met Oggy and was allowed to try on the rose tinted glasses.

Certainly gives you a different perspective on life. : - )
  • Options
    Nelson did you ever get sent off against Barnehurst at Hall Place re a punch up after being flattened by a handsome barnehurst left back ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Nelson did you ever get sent off against Barnehurst at Hall Place re a punch up after being flattened by a handsome barnehurst left back ?

I don't think so but I do remember Barnehurst were a decent side. I got sent off against Evan Cook and LAC Rovers if my memory serves me right.
    The Evan Cook game was even brought up before the LFA due to an abandonment .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ha, it was Chris Slattery got sent off for Union v Barnehurst ....... I thought he was gonna lamp that ref.
  • Options
    Hi guys, got back late last night from my dear old Mum's in Sittingbourne, and probably only just sobered up from Saturday, lol ......... gotta say, I had a terrific day out - and thanks to everyone of you lads for making it special.

Good to catch up again with people I've drank with met before but some new faces like NS Steve & little NS Joe, Len Glover, Maglor, TelinOz & Kaye, AFKA's bruv and to catch up with my old school chum and erstwhile team mate Frank Worthington Nelsenout.

Sorry if I've forgotten anyone - but cheers anyway ....!
    And all the really appreciated comments that you've all written on this thread.

Special thanks to AFKA for doing what you did *thumbs up* - and sorry to Blackheath Addick that my navigating skills could do with honing up!

And Ollie, you're a legend, mate!

But where was Nth London Addick .....? Missed the match in bed with man-flu, poor lamb.

You'll laugh ..... got on the train at Charlton with AFKA's bruv who got out somewhere like Abbey Wood, but my train terminated at Strood because they'd got the line up. Magic bus magical mystery tour of the least salubrious parts of Medway followed before we were turfed out on to a very not moving train at Rainham.Still there 45 minutes later when my eyes got heavy ...... you can guess the rest, I woke up at Faversham, no train back to Sittingbourne for half an hour, couldn't even have a piss; by the time I got back to Mum's it was gone 11:30.

BTW, anyone know how Charlton got on - because I'll be be buggered if I can remember....!
  • Options
    Oggy is wasnt Chris who got sent off. It was a tall centre forward wh i flatened in the box , gave away a pen. He lumped me and it all went off. We both got sent off.

Evan Cookes drew 2 v2 once and OB were called as it went mental after the game. Next game we beat em 6 v 2 and they were pussy cats.

I was there with Bill Malone and your dad Oggy when he first opened up the meridian.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Oggy is wasnt Chris who got sent off. It was a tall centre forward wh i flatened in the box , gave away a pen. He lumped me and it all went off. We both got sent off.

Evan Cookes drew 2 v2 once and OB were called as it went mental after the game. Next game we beat em 6 v 2 and they were pussy cats.

I was there with Bill Malone and your dad Oggy when he first opened up the meridian.

Fair enough, GH .... tall centreforward, must have been Biggles, then. Big Chris got sent off enough times, so easy mistake to make, lol

I would have been playing in that match back in the 70's.

You remember my old man? He's still an ST holder at The Valley but wisely decided to go on holiday and miss the Preston game.

I must know you mate ..... must have played against you enough times in the old Woolwich league.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Oggy is wasnt Chris who got sent off. It was a tall centre forward wh i flatened in the box , gave away a pen. He lumped me and it all went off. We both got sent off.

The centre forward was a lad called Graham aka biggles
    like oggy said ,his old man had a butchers

At the green . The Evan cook away game was a little exciting !Those games were
    Competitive much more so I guess than today aaron tackles could be made
    The highlight for Union named after the Union pub in woolwich, was our Dutch tour of 78 with a couple of games against a club called deRijp way better than uslike amatuer neeskens and CRYFF
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Big in Brasov[/cite]Nelseout, I used to know Peter Page reasonably well as well as many of the Union 97 faces, although I can't remember names. Having said that, I do remember your keeper's nickname - Teflon the non-stick goalkeeper wasn't it? The reason I remember him so well is probably because he's one of the few keepers I ever scored against, playing for NTV reserves one Sunday morning at the Meridian long long ago

You used to play for NTV in the old Woolwich League, Brasov.....?
    Must have played against you many times when I was with LAC Rovers and Union.

Another of our old Union team mates was Andy Fordham, tidy midfielder in those days.

Dad was General Manager of the Meridian for more than 25 years, but he's well retired now.