Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NW Kent Addicks Quiz night-Last night

TELTEL
edited March 2009 in General Charlton
Great night out which was very well attended, cheap beer and very good company. Myself, Gavin,Geoff, Gary and Dave forming the fans forum went along and entered a team.....there was a tie for the top two positions on 89pts and we came second with 88pts not bad for one of the smallest teams out of 20 on the night.

Thoroughly recommend anybody out there to consider going along the next time they have an event and congratulations to the organisers for laying on a great night out..

Comments

• Options
    Can you remember any of the questions?
  • Options
    yep....oh and a staggering £750 was raised for the Kent Air Ambulance Charity
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]yep....oh and a staggering £750 was raised for the Kent Air Ambulance Charity

very impressive, well done those organising
  • Options
    Well done NW Kent Addicks
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Can you remember any of the questions?[/quote]

A relatively easy set of questions as there were a lot of families with kids involved. Sound clips from Toy Story and Mary Poppins will give you an idea.

Couple of nice sport questions - first West Indian born cricketer to play for England? Football - first team to win two successive World Cups?

My favourite was the year thar Dr Who was first broadcast on TV. Geoff Billingsley got the actual date.
  • Options
    Italy

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Italy

1963[/quote]

Yes, good hits, Henry ........ although disappointing that you failed to 'do a Billingsley' with 23rd November 1963 for the first Dr Who. The day after Kennedy's assassination apparently.

So, JFK never watched Dr Who. Amazing.
  • Options
    Norman Cowans for the cricketer?

There is probably an earlier one though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Italy

Yes, good hits, Henry ........ although disappointing that you failed to 'do a Billingsley' with 23rd November 1963 for the first Dr Who. The day after Kennedy's assassination apparently.

So, JFK never watched Dr Who. Amazing.

I was only two at the time!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Norman Cowans for the cricketer?

There is probably an earlier one though.

Roland Butcher was born in Barbados, but played for England - I think he made his debut in the Barbados Test in 1981.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did not a lot of players born overseas play for the MCC in the olden days?

Could have been a white west Indian born player but cricket is not my sport.

Didn't an Indian prince play for England/MCC in the 1800s
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Norman Cowans for the cricketer?

There is probably an earlier one though.[/quote]

Roland Butcher was born in Barbados, but played for England - I think he made his debut in the Barbados Test in 1981.[/quote]

Yup, Roland Butcher was the answer on the card. Probably slightly more accurate to say that he was the first black West Indian to play for England.

There have been plenty of England cricketers born overseas - for example, Colin Cowdrey was born in India, Ted Dexter in Italy to name just two.

Henry is thinking of the Nawab of Pataudi, of course. Subject of a famous piece of John Arlott commentary ......... "Jack Hobbs, who batted like a prince, and the Nawab of Pataudi, who was a prince ....... and who batted like Jack Hobbs."