Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ambrose today

edited March 2009 in General Charlton
how can a player who played for a newcastle side (they weren't that bad at the time) in the prem, cost us about 1.5mill and then played for us in the prem be so pathetically bad. that was a laughable performance today, and call me synical but part of me thinks he faked that injury just to get off the pitch, not that anyone was complaining.
please please please no new contract !!!

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2009
    ballcocks - He played poorly but i very much doubt he faked injury - if he did i dont blame him if you think he is terrible surely it is down to the manager picking him and not the player all the people shouting obscenities at him aren't going to help the matter are they?
  • Options
    sorry dazzler he's like a old woman
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    kin hell faked it get real

As for his performance people got on his back after one mistake i see plenty of others make mistakes and did not get as much grief as Shazza

He HOWEVER he plays has become a scapegoat

Butterfoot had a blinder were is the thread about that Twat ????????????????????

get of his back ok no the greatest but we do have far worse
  • Options
    you've drunk too much ;-)
  • Options
    of course i don't think he should be picked but he was. I doubt there are too many pro midfield players out there who would perform quite so badly let alone ones that in their history have commanded over a million squid in transfer fees.
  • Options
    and yh Butterfield's crap too but i aint gonna start a topic on that, he's not one of ours so i don't really care much about him. we've all suffered Ambrose's inept 'performances' for too long
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]kin hell faked it get real

As for his performance people got on his back after one mistake i see plenty of others make mistakes and did not get as much grief as Shazza

He HOWEVER he plays has become a scapegoat

Butterfoot had a blinder were is the thread about that Twat ????????????????????

get of his back ok no the greatest but we do have far worse

Completely Agree!
  • Options
    pah whatever, i never boo at games or boo our players but if i wanna have a go at one on ere after such a shit showin then i'll bloody wel do it

so there :P
  • Options
    lol

It's all opinion Talal
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He should be a big player in this league but he has lost any pace he might have had
    Today was such a nothing game
    but Arose was no worse than 4 or 5 others
    Preston being in play off contention says a lot about the lack of quality in this league
  • Options
    Obviously Darren Ambrose and his immediate family are not patrons of this site.
    Otherwise lily livered AFKABartram would've pulled Talal's blasphemous opinion an hour ago.
    The same goes for all the threads slagging Butterfield, Parkinson, Burton etc etc.
    Just stick to these soft targets and you can say what you like, but diss Jonjo and you'll be in HOT WATER!
    LOL!
  • Options
    anyone for bitter?

:D
  • Options
    For 10 minutes or so Ambrose looked interested and I thought it was going to be one of his good days.

He then made a mistake, groans reverberated around the ground and he reverted to the aimless mincing around with the occasional disappearance that we've come to know and not love.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Laura Angel[/cite]Obviously Darren Ambrose and his immediate family are not patrons of this site.
    Otherwise lily livered AFKABartram would've pulled Talal's blasphemous opinion an hour ago.
    The same goes for all the threads slagging Butterfield, Parkinson, Burton etc etc.
    Just stick to these soft targets and you can say what you like, but diss Jonjo and you'll be in HOT WATER!
    LOL![/quote]

Laura Angel you'll get your way and our one truly gifted footballer will be gone. If you can't see how Jonjo is three or four moves ahead of everyone else, like some chess master, anticipating and running into positions to be available, then I feel sorry that you are missing out on the brief pleasure of watching him perform.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Nadou[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Laura Angel[/cite]Obviously Darren Ambrose and his immediate family are not patrons of this site.
    LOL!

Laura Angel you'll get your way and our one truly gifted footballer will be gone. If you can't see how Jonjo is three or four moves ahead of everyone else, like some chess master, anticipating and running into positions to be available, then I feel sorry that you are missing out on the brief pleasure of watching him perform.

But isn't she saying NOT to criticize him?
  • Options
    No, she is defending her decision to come on here a couple of weeks ago and tell us that he is wildly overrated
  • Options
    The Ambrose debate has been done to death, but the one thing that there seems to have been some sort of consensus on in the past is that he has generally been at his most effective playing behind the forward(s) in the middle - so seeing him line up on the right at the start of the match wasn't a good sign.

I suspect that may well be the final time we see him in a Charlton shirt. He's been a very frustrating player to watch, but hopefully he'll also be remembered for some of his better performances (and point and match winning goals after having done nothing all game!), as much as the 45 minutes today.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AllLeftFoot[/cite]The Ambrose debate has been done to death, but the one thing that there seems to have been some sort of consensus on in the past is that he has generally been at his most effective playing behind the forward(s) in the middle - so seeing him line up on the right at the start of the match wasn't a good sign.

I suspect that may well be the final time we see him in a Charlton shirt. He's been a very frustrating player to watch, but hopefully he'll also be remembered for some of his better performances (and point and match winning goals after having done nothing all game!), as much as the 45 minutes today.

The goal against Man Utd when Benty played it back to him and Ipswich last season were his finest moments in my opinion.
  • Options
    Laura Angel i think it's a bit different to have a pop at a player who's been with us for a while and consistently underperforms than doing so towards our most talented youngster in quite a while who's only played a handful of matches.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    agreed, Laura dont't be stupid
  • Options
    that thread about jonjo was a wind up, imo, and was wrong and unhelpful. But in the same way, getting on ambrose's back so quickly, suggesting he fakes injury to get off the pitch and calling him sharon is hardly going to help is it?

doing it to jonjo is worse because he's so young, he's had a lot fewer opportunities to impress and we're all so desperate to see him at the valley for years to come. But i don't see how people can slag off criticism of jonjo so heavily but think nothing of some of the stuff ambrose has been getting for years.

it's a shame ambrose didn't work out for us like it might have done, but i genuinely wish him well.
  • Options
    Me too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Talal[/cite]how can a player who played for a newcastle side (they weren't that bad at the time) in the prem, cost us about 1.5mill and then played for us in the prem be so pathetically bad. that was a laughable performance today, and call me synical but part of me thinks he faked that injury just to get off the pitch, not that anyone was complaining.
    please please please no new contract !!!

I 100% agree and spookily that is exactly what I said to Covered End Junior this afternoon.
  • Options
    Did anyone read his interview in the programme? Spent most of it gushing about how much he loved Charlton and would like to stay at the club.

I still think there's a good player in there somewhere but, if things don't go his way, he hides and doesn't want the ball. A couple of times yesterday he made an early pass when he'd have been better off holding it up or going himself-i don't put it down to lack of ability, just lack of confidence. It's a shame but he's played the best part of 100 games for us and never really come good; I think it's best for all if he is released in the summer.
  • Options
    Ambrose did have a poor game but he was up against a decent full back.

Also Ambrose is not a wide player. he's always looked better in the hole or upfront ie v Ipswich last season. Also worth remembering him v West Ham in the 4 - 0 Cracking first goal.

His scoring record isn't that bad or the number of his assists but he's not really cut out for a struggling Div 2 side as he is not a physical player and doesn't have real pace.

He's 24 now and it will be an interesting summer. Ipswich said no to him. Maybe on a free transfer someone will take him but he has slid a long way from his u21 days.
  • Options
    Ambrose did have a poor game but he was up against a decent full back.

Also Ambrose is not a wide player. he's always looked better in the hole or upfront ie v Ipswich last season. Also worth remembering him v West Ham in the 4 - 0 Cracking first goal.

His scoring record isn't that bad or the number of his assists but he's not really cut out for a struggling Div 2 side as he is not a physical player and doesn't have real pace.

He's 24 now and it will be an interesting summer. Ipswich said no to him. Maybe on a free transfer someone will take him but he has slid a long way from his u21 days.

Er, Ambrose not a wide player Henry. You sure!!!! Dunno if it's me but hasn't Ambrose always played out wide for us?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stop shouting[/cite]Ambrose did have a poor game but he was up against a decent full back.

Er, Ambrose not a wide player Henry. You sure!!!! Dunno if it's me but hasn't Ambrose always played out wide for us?

No, not always. As I said against Ipswich at home last season he played behind Big Chris and he played upfront for us with both Bents and for England U21s. He looks more effective in the middle IMHO.

yes he has been played out wide far more often - by a number of managers - but IMHO that isn't his best position and is why he is so often ineffective there.
  • Options
    for the amount of money Ambrose is on and bearing in mind how long he has been with us, his lack of fight is pathetic. This is shown up by the 2 or 3 games I have ever seen where he looks like he's comitted, proving he can do it when he really wants to, simply not good enough to not make that effort every game, and therefore entirely understandable that he should get grief for it.
  • Options
    Players like Ambrose are the reason why we're in this position. I don't ever want to see him in the shirt again.