Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

edited March 2009 in General Charlton
Just wondering if anyone takes the 161 from Chislehurst, Royal Parade to The Valley??
If so, how long does it take as I have not yet tried to go this way??
Cheers...

Comments

• Options
    dont mate takes for ever from Eltham. traffic all the way.
  • Options
    about 3/4 of hour mate but it only cost £2 so good value,done it a couple of times when ive been on the lash.
  • Options
    If you go early enough its 45 mins. I usually go at 9.30/10 and it flies down to The bottom of Shooters Hill then gets bogged down in Woolwich.
  • Options
    Ages, I'm not doing it again.
  • Options
    Take the 161 to Queen elizabeth hospital and then a short walk,much quicker than staying on the bus.
  • Options
    So from chislehurst what is the quickest way to valley on public transport??
    Can you get train from chislehurst to Lewisham then switch ??
  • Options
    Like Badger said, get the bus but but get off at the hospital and you avoid all that woolwich business, which takes lots of time off. Its about a 5-10 minute walk to the village from there so time for a drink in the bugle/swan.

The cheapest and easiest way to get to the ground from chislehurst.
  • Options
    and spookily enough the very same journey that i used to take in the 70's (when i was very young!)
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: TKING[/cite]So from chislehurst what is the quickest way to valley on public transport??
    Can you get train from chislehurst to Lewisham then switch ??

161 but as badger and Curb it said get off by the hospital and walk. I did it once and it took longer to get through Woolwich than the rest of the journey put together.

Otherwise train it via Lewisham or London Bridge

If you live in Chislehurst then you could also join Bromley Addicks and find out if there are any Chislehurst based Addicks willing to share petrol costs. Try tony.warran@btinternet.com
  • Options
    TFL
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's an OK downhome kind of route, but it doesn't have the panache of the 21 or the elan and sophistication of the 122.

I still rue the passing of the 192 up Eglinton Hill. No-one was fooled when they just reversed the number.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JVL[/cite]It's an OK downhome kind of route, but it doesn't have the panache of the 21 or the elan and sophistication of the 122.

I still rue the passing of the 192 up Eglinton Hill. No-one was fooled when they just reversed the number.

You cant beat the old routemaster 180, I dabbled with the original 178 from the Ferrier Estate, or, as you say the sophistictaed 122 (but that meant walking up KPR)
  • Options
    177 Best Route Ever

Does anyone listen to Robert Elms. Does a different London bus route every week with stories and history from the route.
  • Options
    Listening to him now. Always very interesting. Apparently he did the 122, somehow ignoring my old house, and unbelievably they didn't post it on the 'listen again' part of the website.

I dimly remember a 161A. Seemed a bit elitist to me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JVL[/cite]Listening to him now. Always very interesting. Apparently he did the 122, somehow ignoring my old house, and unbelievably they didn't post it on the 'listen again' part of the website.

As rang up when it was the 177 as it was the bus I was taken home on from St Nicks back to McLeod Rd.

161a was a great bus as used to come past my old house but was very rare.

I really enjoy Robert Elms. Met him at the QPR friendly a few years back.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JVL[/cite]Listening to him now. Always very interesting. Apparently he did the 122, somehow ignoring my old house, and unbelievably they didn't post it on the 'listen again' part of the website.

Either went to Petts wood ( enough said) or on to sidcup-
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

As rang up when it was the 177 as it was the bus I was taken home on from St Nicks back to McLeod Rd.

161a was a great bus as used to come past my old house but was very rare.

I really enjoy Robert Elms. Met him at the QPR friendly a few years back.

I rarely used the 177, meant having to walk over Eynsham Drive flyover to school, where as the 180, we just used to bundle on & off opposite the Pegasus pub.
  • Options
    I lived in the posh bit of Abbey Wood (the Co-op estate) ; - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I lived in the posh bit of Abbey Wood (the Co-op estate) ; - )

There's no such area as the "posh bit"...fact
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Like Badger said, get the bus but but get off at the hospital and you avoid all that woolwich business, which takes lots of time off. Its about a 5-10 minute walk to the village from there so time for a drink in the bugle/swan.

The cheapest and easiest way to get to the ground from chislehurst.

u can get the 486 OR 468 can't remember what one to Charlton station and it really quick but not sure if they run down Charlton church lane on matchdays
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    229 and the 231 went past my house in Abbey Road back in the day....used to change to the 180 outside Woolwich market
  • Options
    good grief, are all CAFC supporters are Bus Spotters?

lol!
  • Options
    161?

I thought that was going to be Parky's formation for the next game.
  • Options
    TT
    edited March 2009
    I thought we were supposed to be into trains?

I see the Thameslink route now goes through to Seven Oaks
  • Options
    do they? didnt know that...you mean Sevenoaks?

;-)
  • Options
    I heard there weren't seven of them anymore, surely time for a name change?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bangkokaddick[/cite]161?

Nope 161 is the title of the forthcoming book ' Loan Signings - The Championship Years'
    by Colin Cameron
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bangkokaddick[/cite]161?

Tried that and got beat, its got to be the "old 469" works every time.
  • Options
    I used to get the 161 in the '70s when I live in Chislehurst. I tried the reverve trip last season (once) what a nightmare. I had to pop in the Bulls Head and have a few.
    Match days I get a fast train from Petts Wood to London Bridge (18mins) then one back to Charlton. I have a skin full in the Oak, the game passes quickly and then get a fast train from London Bridge to Orpington. Back home by before 6.
  • Options
    well worth the £2 for that distance