Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A memorable day...

Saturday was a day in which all days look forward to and when it arrives cherish. I took my son Ben (3) to his first game on Saturday. His hero is Nicky Bailey as well as is also a fan of Rob Elliot.

The missus drove us to the game and got down there nice and early as i wanted Ben to see the players come in to the ground and if possible get to have his photo taken with them.

I must applaud every single one of the players at the club (except one). Nothing was too much for them, and was more than happy to have their photos done with Ben and took time to speak to him.

1.29...........still no sign on Nicky Bailey and ZZ, how hearts were sinking as Ben desperatly wanted to meet Bailey. Then Darren Butterfield came along, in which i asked if he could sign the programme and have his photo taken with my young son, in which he responed that he didnt have time, and walked off, nice bloke.............so there we are thinking that all the players must be in, and that those who do turn up will not have their photo taken, ten minutes later, up walks Bailey, in which he was happy to have his picture taken with Ben, have a chat with him, and really has made his weekend, and finally ZZ, once again he was a gentleman, and signed his programme, had his photo taken.

Mr Butterfield there is something to be learnt from this, after meeting the players we went to the pub, just to show the boy what actually the day does consist of, in which Ben looked through the programme, and pointed out ZZ, as well as during the game was shouting his head off when Nicky Bailey and ZZ got the ball.

The players who done the club proud are as follows:

Kandol
Sam
Youga
Kinsella
Weaver
Elliot
Randolph
Racon
Bailey
Ward

Butterfield............go and crawl back under that stoe you come from, we at our club look after our young un's as they are the future fans that line your pockets

Comments

• Options
    Great to hear your boy enjoyed it and the bulk of the players were good. I don't think they realise the impact it can have on little ones at the time.

I also had a really good day on Saturday. The match in the morning went well, we had a nice drink with the Preston lads after our game, walked down the Liberal and met some mates. Back in afterwards and had a good drink and a laugh.

Never known an actual game to be such a periphery feature to my day. Was with three guys off here who live in Cornwall, Hampshire and Queensland. I'm alright, Charlton is on my doorstep so i'm 'living it' all the time. When it becomes an occassional thing you have to make a big effort to travel for, you can understand why people are saying 'what's the point' ?
  • Options
    It always pisses me off when a player "doesn't have the time to talk" to a young fan. There really is no excuse whatsoever for this ridiclously up your own arse behaviour. It doesn't matter whether you are a global icon or a 2nd Division journeyman- decency and respect for those who pay to watch you is surely not to much to ask.
    Hopefully your son will treasure the memory of the players that took the time out for him and in years to come will think Danny who?
    All the best to you both as we are a friendly club and no-one can take that away!
  • Options
    Palace Tosser!
  • Options
    I was fuming, the look on my boys face,the guy is a cock
  • Options
    Good for Ben. Glad he liked his first game and well done the other players.

Shame on Butterfield. Even if he was running late and about to get in trouble for missing the 1.30pm arrival time he could have said that and still quickly scribbled an autograph.
  • Options
    good to hear he had a great day

at least they didn't loose................everyone I know who has seen Charlton for the first time has seen them loose

maybe this is the turning point??????

;-)
  • Options
    Why didn't you give me a shout to give him a welcome at Half time? Next time, make sure you do.
  • Options
    BDL, thanks for reading out the details of the Charlton Life game at HT. Had a mail from the Preston manager saying they all heard, and thanking for it.
  • Options
    fking ronnie corbett palace twat
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that (honestly), no idea why he was like that. Everyone at Palace always talks up what a down to earth, funny bloke Butterfield is. He's been at Palace a long time now but I'd be surprised if he was that anti-Charlton to the extent where he is like that to fans.

Out of interest, you called him Darren in your original post, was that a joke or did you possibly call him that by mistake?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good to hear the new generation coming through and how,with all the shit that's going on at the moment, they can still have a 'magical' day.Good story.
    My boy's two. Not sure if he's ready for it just yet.Loves kicking a ball about though ,which is a good sign.