Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kish is back

in the Bulgarian national squad

From the Font of all Knowledge the OS Bulletin.

News reaches the Bulletin of an international recall for former Addicks midfielder Radostin Kishishev.

The Bulgarian, now again plying his trade in his country of birth with Litex Lovech, is back in the Bulgaria squad for the first time since 2007 to face the Republic of Ireland on Saturday.

Kishishev was released by Leicester City earlier this season, when he was a teammate of fellow former Addick Chris Powell.

100%er was our Kish and more skill than he was often credited with.

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2009
    didnt see that one coming

thought he was too old now
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    100%er was our Kish and more skill than he was often credited with.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. How we've missed him!
  • Options
    Thought he was our new manager then
  • Options
    sorry to crush your and a few others perception of Kish but he was not " more skillful than he was often credited with".

hard working and tenacious........yes. skilful...........no.

don't get me wrong I have a lot of time for the bloke and sat at his table (or, should I say, had him sat at our table) for the 2002 player of the year disco, but he was not a skilful midfielder.

His main fault was that he took too long deciding what to do with the ball when he go it and invariably got dispossed again. A top player s already thinking about his next move BEFORE recieving it and once in possession is quickly on the move. Best example of his in recent years was Andy Reid - if he can't make a pass to his right he'll turn with it and go left. Parker (spit) also a great exponant of this. Kish couldn't do either.
  • Options
    So cos he wasn't as good as Parker or Reid he's not skillful. Don't set the bar too high will you.

Different type of player for a start but he created a number of goals with through balls and crosses (M Bent v Man City, D Bent's Pen v Liverpool spring to mind) and was a key part of the Murphy/Smertin/Kish side that was second in the league while it lasted.

Fact is he played 179 games for the club ALL at the top level and was picked consistently by that know nothing manager Curbishley. Good enough for me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]So cos he wasn't as good as Parker or Reid he's not skillful. Don't set the bar too high will you.

Different type of player for a start but he created a number of goals with through balls and crosses (M Bent v Man City, D Bent's Pen v Liverpool spring to mind) and was a key part of the Murphy/Smertin/Kish side that was second in the league while it lasted.

Fact is he played 179 games for the club ALL at the top level and was picked consistently by that know nothing manager Curbishley. Good enough for me.

For every pass that hit its target,literally thousands went awol.

Good water carrier though.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    he had certain talents and made a good contribution, latter part of his career he kept getting caught with the ball and or giving it away too cheaply. I remember seeing him in warm up at Reading, he controlled the ball extremely well and did show a lot of skill compared to others, not sure it ever translated onto the pitch tho that well, agree with Henry he did pick out the odd decent 'killer' pass, but as someone else said, not often
  • Options
    So cos he wasn't as good as Parker or Reid he's not skillful. Don't set the bar too high will you.

Skill isn't a word I'd asociate with Kish, but neither was he agricultural. Effective is the best adjective I'd use. Capable of tackling back, closing down, passing and crossing etc competent without being the star of the show.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]he had certain talents and made a good contribution, latter part of his career he kept getting caught with the ball and or giving it away too cheaply.

His team mates didnt exactly help him. He never hid. Old school professional in the best sense.
  • Options
    I think it was a case of he could see a good pass (not to the level of Jensen/Reid/Di Canio etc) but didn't have the ability to pull them off consistently. Still did at times, and occasionally had a few skilful moments.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't think it's a slight on Kish to suggest that he wasn't a particularly skilful or gifted player. Lots of qualities, skill and technical ability not really among them IMO...
  • Options
    he wasnt going to do a few stepovers but was still agreat player .

great tackling blocking passing workoholic

words to use with kish
  • Options
    Didnt he score an absolute screamer of a goal once?

On a pre season tour to Hong Kong in front of about 20 people and no cameras.
  • Options
    Definitely had an eye for an unpredictable pass. I remember an inspired flicked lob over a Coventry (I think) full back from an almost dead ball for JJ to hit a volley just over the bar.

Would have been an absolute screamer. I remember wondering whether it was deliberate, but you got that feeling with Kish quite a lot.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Didnt he score an absolute screamer of a goal once?

Not known as Kishshev-chenko for nothing.
    (Obviously when Shevchenko was good !!!)
    Or was that just me ?
  • Options
    Love the guy. Top man.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]So cos he wasn't as good as Parker or Reid he's not skillful. Don't set the bar too high will you.

Well said Henry, and all the others standind up for Kish.
    So why was it Curbs could see what Kish brought to the team, yet many others are so dismissive of the player?

Kish sacrificed his own game for the benefit of the team.

Bottom line, his job was to stop the opposition playing - and he did that by playing 90 minutes at 100 mph.
    Not many players can showcase their talents playing that way.
    But that was what Curbs told him to do ..... play to instructions, so he did.

Claus Jensen, Murphy, Di Canio couldn't do that job while they were standing with their hands on their hips watching Kish do the work of 2 men. They never played 90 minutes at 100 mph. But then that wasn't their job. They were playing to instructions too.

And that's what makes a team function as a team. Everyone doing their own job. And doing it well.
    Regardless of their own individual skill.
  • Options
    I'm with Henry and Oggy.

Kish has every single attribute that we have lacked over the last two seasons. Including skill on the ball (unless we are so spoiled by premiership saturation on Sky that we now jeer at anyone who's not as good as Renaldo)...I'm really pleased he's back in the Bulgarian squad. Quite the nicest piece of news I've heard all day.
  • Options
    Warm-hearted post, Nigel.

Kish was one of our own for 7 seasons, and sweated blood for the club.

If he's been re-called into his country's squad, he's there on merit.
    As Charlton supporters, why can't we be pleased for him ... ?
  • Options
    The 3 -3 draw against Man U. 1st goal he made the cross.
    Very much an under rated player, I for one was sorry to see him go.
    The man never gave less than his all and quite frankly, Parker excluded, Icant think of a player who could brake play up in the midfield as well as him. I wonder if he would have got in our present team?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]The 3 -3 draw against Man U. 1st goal he made the cross.
    Very much an under rated player, I for one was sorry to see him go.
    The man never gave less than his all and quite frankly, Parker excluded, Icant think of a player who could brake play up in the midfield as well as him. I wonder if he would have got in our present team?

Certainly a younger Kish would have, I'm sure,

But then today, Bailey plays his role more or less - plus goals.
  • Options
    loved the man
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]Love the guy. Top man.
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]I'm with Henry and Oggy.

Kish has every single attribute that we have lacked over the last two seasons. Including skill on the ball (unless we are so spoiled by premiership saturation on Sky that we now jeer at anyone who's not as good as Renaldo)...I'm really pleased he's back in the Bulgarian squad. Quite the nicest piece of news I've heard all day.
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]loved the man

Likewise, agree with all thats been said.
  • Options
    I thought Kish was the bollox he had the best looking skin head ever in a CAFC shirt bar mine
  • Options
    Good team player. Caught out when he tried to go fancy.
  • Options
    Gave his all but the worst Prem player I have EVER seen when it came to skill, at CAFC or anywhere else.
    So Curbs picked him constantly, where are either of them now in Prem terms?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Gave his all but the worst Prem player I have EVER seen when it came to skill, at CAFC or anywhere else.

And number 3 was El khalej, number 4 was..............
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Gave his all but the worst Prem player I have EVER seen when it came to skill, at CAFC or anywhere else.

Amdy Faye was/is worse technically and a lot less composed.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Didnt he score an absolute screamer of a goal once?

On a pre season tour to Hong Kong in front of about 20 people and no cameras.

He did. I was one of the privileged few to witness it.

He tried to repeat the feat many times with the ball always ending up in the stands.

I liked him but this must be at least the 100th 'Kish, legend or crap' thread on this board.
  • Options
    ledgend/crap

ledgend