Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stuart Fleetwod - Can he be worse than the rest ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]Frankly I wish we could scrap our strike force and start again. All of them.[/quote]

Hard to disagree!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I might as well bang the drum again ....... we need a team that is creating plenty of chances consistantly, then it doesn't matter who plays up front, there will be enough chances taken to provide a decent tally of goals.

Our team is set up to score goals from midfield. That's handy to have - but for crying out loud, we must put crosses in to the box.
    When was the last time we won a penalty? How many goals do our forwards score from knock downs and tap ins.

That's the problem.

a start might be to get some width and early crosses.I'd love to see Kandol and Dickson start in 442 with Sam wide
  • Options
    Grecians boss Paul Tisdale is trying to get the best out of the 23-year-old as he bids to guide the west country side to promotion from League Two.

"It takes a while to fit in as we rely on being fluent and people understanding each other's jobs," said Tisdale.

"We put a lot of importance on people in partnerships and playing with each other and it just doesn't happen overnight.

"So we have made sure we have had plenty of centre-forward sessions separately from the rest of the squad to try and get Stuart in tune with the strikers he is playing with, so hopefully we will see the dividends soon."

Interesting comments from the Exeter manager. All I've heard Parky say is that he isn't ready. I wonder if we do a similar thing with our strickers. I doubt it.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    No chance. Firstly we rarely play more than one striker, so whoever is choosen is never less than 30 yards from a teammate; difficult to exchange passes let alone build any intuitive play. Secondly, if Parky does choose two he must pick different names out of a hat each week, ditto the wide men to supply them, there's never a settled combo.
  • Options
    I live near Exeter and go to see them more regularly than I see Charlton these days. (cue blushing smiley icon)

Paul Tisdale is an excellent manager, big song and dance down here when Fleetwood signed, and he's on the back of of the local paper today and as a consequence he's under a fair amount of pressure. Tisdales statement has taken most of that pressure away as the crowd will give him more time now and Fleetwood will feel more relaxed. How's that for man and media management. Exeter play a very attractive passing game, not afraid to play different formations (3 at the back recently) all on virtually no budget. A bit different from the kick and hope 442 we're served up at the moment.

Sign him up Murray!
  • Options
    Saw Fleetwood play for Exeter today, he scored two excellent goals, I'm sure we will all be watching the Championship in the morning and they are worth a look. Probably only had 4-5 chances in the match, put the first two away and blew a couple of one-on-ones which would have givne him the hattrick. Predictably he picked up the man of the match award.

I have to say though I can see why he's not in our team. You do have to play a certain way, he needs the ball into feet or played through him, for him to turn and run onto. He is poor with high balls (don't think he won one all match) and he doesn't hold the ball up particularly well. He also doesn't do much tracking back, pressurising, defending etc so he doesn't add a great deal to the team when you've not got the ball, but is a significant threat when played in with the right ball.

He also did look a bit heavy (I saw him play for Wales C v England C when he was at Forest Green) and he seems to have filled out a bit since then.

In short, he is a goal threat, but you have to be prepared to set your team up to play to his strengths otherwise you'll get very little from him.
  • Options
    Noticed he scored their two goals earlier.

Sounds similar to Dickson really, not an all round player, possibly a decent goalscorer though. Apparently Brighton fans were saying he was poor in the air as well. Nothing I could disagree with there from when I've seen him.
  • Options
    Very good goals too, as seen on the Championship programme. Two long range efforts, aka Nicky Bailey.
  • Options
    http://www.football.virginmedia.com/page/Football/League2/VideoIndex/0,,12555,00.html

Two flukey goals from my mate Stu
  • Options
    Play him and Dicko together!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They did at Dover and we could only win 1-0 through a goal from Dean Sinclair. I went to that and they both missed very good chances.
  • Options
    Admitted himself (via the local paper) that he's not scored goals like that since he was a schoolboy. Usually a tap in merchant or running onto on-on-ones. My boys want to go to the Wycombe game on Easter Monday, I'll give you all an update after then.
  • Options
    Scored again for Exeter in a 1-1 draw against Brentford yesterday. That's 3 in the last 2 games for Fleetwood.
  • Options
    Another good goal as well.

Loan seems to be doing him good or it could be more words of encouragement down the gym. You decide : - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imnot Athletic[/cite]Admitted himself (via the local paper) that he's not scored goals like that since he was a schoolboy. Usually a tap in merchant or running onto on-on-ones. My boys want to go to the Wycombe game on Easter Monday, I'll give you all an update after then.

well, as you say, a goal yesterday in a one-on -one, a very cool finish. Problem is, we don't create chances like that. Having a striker score just once in our last 18 games I find loaning him out very puzzling.
  • Options
    Who is Fleets playing with at Exeter .... is he a big target man, a channel runner; skilful lay offs or a big lump?

What sort of service are they giving Fleets, hoofing it or played neatly on the floor - or is he just foraging and feeding off scraps ...?
  • Options
    Just had a look, last two games, the ones he's scored in, he's played with Adam Stansfield and another with Craig McAllister.

Don't know what sort of players they are though.
  • Options
    In answer to your questions, he's mainly been playing with Stansfield, whose a waspish striker that works as hard off the ball as he does on, quite pacy, does the modern thing of closing defenders down, unselfish, not prolific, 10 in 35 starts, in short, a Parky type player.

McAllister is a big lump, links play well, strong player, not bad in the air, or with his back to goal, used mainly from the bench, got a terrific shot on him.

Fleetwood would do OK alongside someone like Kandol or Burton, running onto flick-ons or someone that is prepared to work hard as Fleetwood frankly doesn't!

More important than his strike partner is his service from midfield. He's not the tallest and frankly he's crap in the air. He was up against octogenarian Frank Sinclair today at centre half and never won a header, half the time he didn't even bother jumping. He needs the ball either into feet, or played over the top or through for him the run onto.

Saying that Fleetwood played well today, had a good one-on-one chance in the first half, hit the bar in the second. He had to work a bit harder today as Stansfield was missing and he started with Steve Basham up front.

Exeter started the game with their usual 3-5-2 formation passing the the ball around in pretty triangles, but they were well matched by Wycombe (Peter Taylor had obviously done his homework). Tisdale changed it half time, took off Basham and Sercombe (right wing back) and brought on McAllister and Logan(another physical striker) and went 3-4-3 with a game plan to hit the ball early and long either over the top for Fleetwood to run onto (which he did when he hit the bar) or towards the two big men, who played either side of Fleetwood, so they could flick it on for him. This worked and City were the better side in the second half and deserved their goal.

One thing to note about Fleetwood is that he’s got a bit of a temper on him, he got dumped on his ar$e and the ref gave him nothing so he got up and clattered someone in Rooneyesque fashion and got himself booked.

I think you will find that the key for Fleetwood, and probably for Dixon and McLeod as well, is playing for a manager and a team that has absolute faith in their ability and sets the team up to play to their strengths.

He was built up as a big signing down here and the team has been set up to get the best out of him and he has responded. Contrast that with the lukewarm treatment given to Dixon, Fleetwood and McLeod and its no wonder that none of them have been a roaring success.
  • Options
    A comment from an Exeter fan and watcher at work:

"Sorry to see you boys are condemned to the third tier. One thing I will say though is that if you keep Stuart Fleetwood he is a class act. I’ve watched him a few times for Exeter now and he will bang them in in League One."
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interesting but I wouldn't be so certain. He's scored a 3 decent goals for them, that's it. Dickson looked class for Gillingham as did McLeod for MK Dons.

As has been talked about in other threads, play to his strengths and with the right partner, he should do well, but he's not a proven regular goalscorer even at League Two level just yet.
  • Options
    Frankly the thought of Fleetwood, McLeod or Dickson playing next year depresses me like hell.
    Strengths my arse. They're cack and you know they are.