Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pete Doherty

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Si[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]...but he's still a c**t.

Because he has a drug problem? Or another reason?

Cos he needs a good wash and has no self respect. Him and Winehouse should find an old dark warehouse, jack up and never be seen or heard of again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Si[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]

It genuinely sickens me that this (very) occasionally brilliant attention whore has manipulated the media in order to get the attention he craves and is now mentioned in the same breath by youngsters without long musical backgrounds believe that he operates in the same space as torchered bona fide geniuses like Dee Dee, Thunders and Strummer, who managed to have an overdose without ensuring the paps were there to tut about it.

Do you really think one celebrity has the power to 'manipulate the media' - themselves the masters of manipulation? If you genuinely think so then he deserves your reverence for that reason alone.

I think the fact that those past greats managed to 'have an overdose without ensuring the paps were there' has more to do with the state of the media today, rather than how one guy uses them. You think they used to receive as much attention, and that the status of celebrity was as high, and celebrity media was as popular or as widespread back then?

I always think it's the ones who claim that people manipulate the media, that are actually being manipulated by the media themselves.
    Oh right, great little dig, very little substance, I suspect.

I didn't say that it was difficult to manipulate today's media; nor did I say that they don't act in a wholly predictable manner. They'll turn up to stare at any D lister who's liable to do something notable for their cameras. And doesn't Peter know it. Whether it's belting out nazi favourites in Germany or taking drugs in public (many drug users - including some that aren't on parole - manage not to pursue their habits in privacy rather than on the bonnet of a police car surrounded by Sun paps). Maybe, I'm being cynical and Pete's just part of a generation too witless to pursue his art without stumbling into the tabloids for some reason or another, but it does seem that when he's not been heard of for a while he creates a new little storm to titilate the press and his fans.
  • Options

I didn't say that it was difficult to manipulate today's media; nor did I say that they don't act in a wholly predictable manner. They'll turn up to stare at any D lister who's liable to do something notable for their cameras. And doesn't Peter know it. Whether it's belting out nazi favourites in Germany or taking drugs in public (many drug users - including some that aren't on parole - manage not to pursue their habits in privacy rather than on the bonnet of a police car surrounded by Sun paps). Maybe, I'm being cynical and Pete's just part of a generation too witless to pursue his art without stumbling into the tabloids for some reason or another, but it does seem that when he's not been heard of for a while he creates a new little storm to titilate the press and his fans.

I think you underestimate the extent of paparazzi invasion into celebrity lives. He's not 'stumbling into tabloids', they're surrounding him all the time, waiting for a slip up. Every time he walks out of his door there'll be photographers there, and everywhere he goes (even on holiday to another country) they'll book flights to follow. It's far too profitable a profession for these scum to have any sense of dignity at all; they'll scrabble around in a gutter if necessary to get the snap they want.

I remember his Jonathan Ross interview a couple of years ago where he revealed that one of the only times he and Kate had had privacy outside their house was walking in a park at 3 in the morning. But even then, they eventually got spotted within half an hour, someone called someone, and within the hour the photographers were there.

Undoubtedly the attention starts from a celebrity messing up a lot, but once the press have got their teeth into them, they magnify it and magnify it, spinning whatever story they like out of all the photos they take. I'm sure Doherty genuinely is an idiot half the time, but it's likely the other half is mostly manufactured. I doubt some of the rock stars who took drugs in the past would have been romanticised in quite the same way if there'd be constant photos of them looking like wrecks, stumbling out of bars, shooting up in embarrassing places etc.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]

I think you underestimate the extent of paparazzi invasion into celebrity lives. He's not 'stumbling into tabloids', they're surrounding him all the time, waiting for a slip up. Every time he walks out of his door there'll be photographers there, and everywhere he goes (even on holiday to another country) they'll book flights to follow. It's far too profitable a profession for these scum to have any sense of dignity at all; they'll scrabble around in a gutter if necessary to get the snap they want.

I remember his Jonathan Ross interview a couple of years ago where he revealed that one of the only times he and Kate had had privacy outside their house was walking in a park at 3 in the morning. But even then, they eventually got spotted within half an hour, someone called someone, and within the hour the photographers were there.

Undoubtedly the attention starts from a celebrity messing up a lot, but once the press have got their teeth into them, they magnify it and magnify it, spinning whatever story they like out of all the photos they take. I'm sure Doherty genuinely is an idiot half the time, but it's likely the other half is mostly manufactured. I doubt some of the rock stars who took drugs in the past would have been romanticised in quite the same way if there'd be constant photos of them looking like wrecks, stumbling out of bars, shooting up in embarrassing places etc.

Great response SA.

And my final sentence wasn't intended as a dig, McLovin. Although I can see why it seemed so, so apologies for that. But in answer to all your other points, see Sussex.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]

My son bumped into him a few months ago at lunchtime in Brick Lane. He stopped and talked to my son for about 10 minutes and came across as a genuine person very into his music. The point is, however, that even during those few minutes, there were 4 paparazzi hanging around him. Yes, he does bring some things on himself, but I am not convinced he actively looks for it.

And yes, I do like his music ... but that's not why I am supporting him here.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite] Yes, he does bring some things on himself, but I am not convinced he actively looks for it.

Exactly this