Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Top Five... British Female Pop Singers

On TV tonight there is part one of the Queens of British Pop.

Part one, of two, features the 60's and 70s (no idea why nothing before then) and the six queens are Dusty, Sandie and Marianne Faithfull (60s) and Suzi Quatro (Canadian), Souixsee and Kate Bush 70s.

Some bizarre ones in there but who would your Queens of British Pop be?

For me

Petula
Dusty
Amy
Pauline Black
Heather Strong

And I think Duffy and Lily will be there too in the future.

Comments

• Options
    Maggie Bell (Stone the Crows) was a damn fine singer but not really Pop. I think Lulu deserves a look in. 'To Sir with Love' is an all time favourite.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Florence Welch if you wait a couple of years.
  • Options
    H, its S-I-O-U-X-S-I-E ;
    (just chequed my tattoo........)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: raddickle[/cite]Maggie Bell (Stone the Crows) was a damn fine singer but not really Pop. I think Lulu deserves a look in. 'To Sir with Love' is an all time favourite.

Lulu is a great shout : - )

Elkie Brooks from Vinegar Joe and solo
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: blackheathaddick[/cite]Florence Welch if you wait a couple of years.

who she G.?
  • Options
    Also known as Florence and the machine. Amazing voice, amazing live, very original songs. Has a bit of Kate Bush about her. I have seen her play a few times.

She is Florence, and "the machine" is whoever is playing live with her at the time. Normally a guitarist. Kid Harpoon has played live with her before as has Lightspeed Champion. She doesnt have much out yet but later this year she should be bringing an album out.

florenceandthemachine.jpg
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: blackheathaddick[/cite]Also known as Florence and the machine. Amazing voice, amazing live, very original songs. Has a bit of Kate Bush about her. I have seen her play a few times.

She is Florence, and "the machine" is whoever is playing live with her at the time. Normally a guitarist. Kid Harpoon has played live with her before as has Lightspeed Champion. She doesnt have much out yet but later this year she should be bringing an album out.

florenceandthemachine.jpg

Ta, will check her out on Spotify
  • Options
    Katie White
  • Options
    Has any else sufferd at the hands of Dido Live... christ almighty, she really struggles bless her.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    A few (!) years ago when I was at Gravesend Tech. a rumour started that Helen Shapiro (then in the charts with 'Don't Treat Me Like a Child) was visiting Discland the next day. I think most of the Tech turned up that lunch hour and blocked Queen Street, trying to get into the shop: of course, in all the excitement, nobody had noticed what the date was. So to mark the anniversary I'll vote for Helen, along with Dusty, Susan Maughan, Cilla, Anita Harris and Julie Driscoll.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How about.....

Dusty Springfield
    Joss Stone
    Annie Lennox
    PJ Harvey
    Joan Armatrading

Close to my list would be Kate Bush, Elkie Brooks, Judie Tzuke, Heather Small and Vera Lynn :)
  • Options
    Should've mentioned Ruby Turner too!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]Should've mentioned Ruby Turner too!

Met her once, absolutely lovely lass, real good laugh and totally down to earth.
  • Options
    Marriane Faithful? What a joke, just a case of right place, right time. Or wrong place, wrong time with the Mars Bar!

Dusty Springfield worthy of recognition, Sandie Shaw? Not really I think.
    Kate Bush is the best we have seen since Dusty IMO. Although I do not like Annie Lennox I admit she is a good singer.
    What about Sam Brown? Hazel O'Connor (whatever happened to her?)......
  • Options
    Billie Davis
    Joan Armatrading
    Julie Driscoll
    Polly Harvey
    Thea Gilmore
  • Options
    Poly Styrene - solely on the first X-Ray Spex album

The rest of my choices have been covered.
  • Options
    Julia Fordham
  • Options
    Kate Bush
    Annie Lennox
    Alison Moyet
    Kirsty MacColl
    Shirley Manson (Garbage)
  • Options
    Kate Bush, Joan Armatrading are defo for me along with Dusty and Petula. Lulu and Annie Lennox are in there too for me.

Longevity must come into it and although some other very good artists have been mentioned almost all the others don't fall into that category, and the likes of Siouxsie, PJ Harvey etc can't be termed 'pop'. The likes of Duffy, Winehouse, Lily Allen etc need to be around a lot longer too.
  • Options
    Sarah Cracknell for me!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is that brian, the winner of Big Brother 8 ????
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Billie Davis
    Joan Armatrading
    Julie Driscoll
    Polly Harvey
    Thea Gilmore

Thea Gilmore is a cracking shout. You've just had me rooting through a box of CDs under the bed.......located Rules for Jokers - what a great album.

Hope Sandoval
    Sarah Cracknell
    Polly Harvey
  • Options
    The whole of Girls Aloud!
  • Options
    f200709september0365141.jpg
  • Options
    Faye Fife of the awesome pop punk rockers The Rezillos / Revillos

K T Tunstall
    Sarah Cracknell
    and Alison Moyet has a great voice too.
  • Options
    Elizabeth Fraser - Cocteau Twins
  • Options
    Kim Wilde

(nice girl, ok singer, nice lils, family - say no more.)

Bush is a good shout.

Duffy? Do me a favour!
  • Options
    Joss Stone for sure, doesn't get the credit she really deserves
    Heather Small
    Beverly Craven
    Sade
    Lisa Stansfield
  • Options
    Has anyone mentioned Amy ?
    No, me neither.