Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jason Euell and Kelvin Davis defer their wages

Good on ya, Jase.

From The Current Bun

SOUTHAMPTON hope to cut a deal with Norwich Union in a bid to wipe their £30million debts.

The Championship club are confident of finding new financial backers with former BBC chairman Gavyn Davies, 58, leading one of the consortiums.

Saints owe Norwich Union £24m. Once the club gets a cash injection, they plan to agree a deal to wipe their debt with a £5m payment.

Ipswich owner Marcus Evans did the same in 2007 with Norwich Union, when he paid £7m to clear £32m owed.

Saints’ top earners, such as Jason Euell and keeper Kelvin Davis, will defer their wages to help keep the club going.

Davis, 32, said: “We’ll do whatever it takes to help the club survive. It’s important for the young players to get their money at the end of the month.”

Norwich Union seem like a nice bank to run up debts with. I wonder if they would let me or you get away with just paying 20% of our mortgages/debts.

Comments

• Don't care what anyone else says Euell is a top bloke and I was ashamed yesterday at some of the comments and stick some around me gave him. The bloke's goals were an integral part of us staying in the Prem for as long as we did for a start. I might have got this wrong but didn't he play for us not long after he lost his child, might have even been against Saints?
  • [cite]Posted By: Les Addicks[/cite]Don't care what anyone else says Euell is a top bloke and I was ashamed yesterday at some of the comments and stick some around me gave him. The bloke's goals were an integral part of us staying in the Prem for as long as we did for a start. I might have got this wrong but didn't he play for us not long after he lost his child, might have even been against Saints?

Think you are being a bit harsh there........................ Only joking : - )

I think he did well for us. Top scorer three years on the trot from midfield and yes, he lost a child very early on in his Charlton career but came back and did well.

he scored twice against Chelsea when we beat them 2-1 at the Valley in Henry Jnrs first game.
  • love jason and was always gutted about his treatment at charlton but surely the fact that his wages at saints are a rumored to be somewhere between £16k and £18k a week aint really helped in the first place
  • But surely if it's just the holding company that's gone into administration then the players shouldn't need to defer their wages? The football club PLC isn't affected, otherwise the Football League would have announced a ten- point deduction.
  • Agreed on Euell. We probably payed over the odds at the time, but who didn't then, but he was an integral part of our time in the Prem.

Good for him and Davis. They earn my respect when it is short on the ground in pro football these days.
  • Saints owe Norwich Union £24m. Once the club gets a cash injection, they plan to agree a deal to wipe their debt with a £5m payment.

Can't see any problems there then!
  • [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]love jason and was always gutted about his treatment at charlton but surely the fact that his wages at saints are a rumored to be somewhere between £16k and £18k a week aint really helped in the first place

That's bull He'd be (probably) one of the highest paid championship players!
  • [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]love jason and was always gutted about his treatment at charlton but surely the fact that his wages at saints are a rumored to be somewhere between £16k and £18k a week aint really helped in the first place

That's bull He'd be (probably) one of the highest paid championship players!

was a guy from the evening paper down there said this on talksport on friday and he certainly seemed to know his onions
  • I'm pretty sure that

1. Players wages are nearly always quoted wrongly

2. There would have been plenty of former Prem players on similar or even more expensive deals at clubs such as Leeds and Sheff Wednesday
  • http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12875_5422533,00.html

Kelvin Davis has shown that not all players seek the money and glits of the Premiership by staying at Southampton for another 3 years. If only some of our players could follow his example. I hope Fortune signs another contract?!