Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Five minutes of Heaven

Anyone see this drama on BBC2 last night?

Fantastic piece with two great leads, Liam Neeson and James Nesbitt.

One of the best bits of TV I've seen for ages.

Comments

• Options
    Great acting and a timely issue, has to be a candidate for a bafta
  • Options
    thought this was going to be a type of 'would ya'.
  • Options
    Thought it was great upto the fight scene (found that a little hard to take), and I though Nesbitt acted Neeson off the screen, very well written.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Thought it was great upto the fight scene (found that a little hard to take), and I though Nesbitt acted Neeson off the screen, very well written.

Yes the aftermath of the window scene seemed a bit soft and no one else in the street noticed. But still a good drama and left me guessing how it would end.

It was really Nesbitt's play.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Thought it was great upto the fight scene (found that a little hard to take), and I though Nesbitt acted Neeson off the screen, very well written.

Yes the aftermath of the window scene seemed a bit soft and no one else in the street noticed. But still a good drama and left me guessing how it would end.

It was really Nesbitt's play.

Yep, bit far fetched, and the original shooting, not one neighbour reacted, and he stood there for a while, OK, you could say they were blaise about in that period, but surely...anyway, apart from those 2 bits, excellent.

Loved the fact that they both had, what you would have assumed the non natural roles each, Neeson playing the UVF man, and Nesbitt the Irish Catholic, great bit of casting, and must have been challenging for both with their backgrounds.
  • Options
    Excellent show but the fight between the two was unnecessary simply because it didn't happen whereas everything else was pretty accurate.

The original show where they got different protagonists to confront each other under the eye was also extremely good, spoiled only by Michael Stone's outright lies when it came to discussing one of his crimes which he laughably tried to deny despite proudly admitting it years ago.

Talking of which, last time I was over I tried to get into Stormont for a look around but they wouldn't let me in. Apparently there was a Stone stuck in the door ....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: News Shopper[/cite]Excellent show but the fight between the two was unnecessary simply because it didn't happen whereas everything else was pretty accurate.

The original show where they got different protagonists to confront each other under the eye was also extremely good, spoiled only by Michael Stone's outright lies when it came to discussing one of his crimes which he laughably tried to deny despite proudly admitting it years ago.

Talking of which, last time I was over I tried to get into Stormont for a look around but they wouldn't let me in. Apparently there was a Stone stuck in the door ....

LOL...liking your work
  • Options
    Don't know the real story but Lady Irving said that they interviewed the two actors on Radio 4.

Neeson refused to meet his character but Nesbitt did. Said that in real life the two people never met but Nesbitt said that when he asked the person he was playing what his reaction would be he said "I'd F******* kill him".

What I pay my TV licence for.

Sorry Paul, that joke went right over my head.
  • Options
    gotta say i thought it was a bit of a let down,was looking forward to it,but it didn't seem to get going.
  • Options
    For what it's worth, I thought it was excellent. Agree too that Nesbitt stole the show but he had the part with which to do it. I understand the comment about the fight scene and whether or not it was necessary. For me it was, to show that he needed it to get the anger out of his system and to demonstrate it better on TV. Not so sure it would have worked with just them talking to each other. My step-father is from Northern Ireland and regularly bumps into James Nesbitt at Dulwich and Sydenham Golf Club. He's a completely grounded bloke and goes out of his way to pass the time of day - Top Man.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

Sorry Paul, that joke went right over my head.[/quote]

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/may/13/northernireland.northernireland
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: News Shopper[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

Sorry Paul, that joke went right over my head.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/may/13/northernireland.northernireland

Nutter
  • Options
    Totally. Funny line though.
  • Options
    Good programme I thought. James Nesbitt was very good, there was a bit of acting where he was talking on the 'castle' roof which took my breath away. However Liam Neeson had a more difficult role to pull off, not so obviously 'theatrical'. One bit of advice I would give to James Nesbitt is to not demonstrate how well he is acting. That was the problem with Olivier...the so called genius, he often performed and seemed to be saying 'look how I am acting', so we had to admire and gawp...that may work in some Brechtian theatre piece (or Shakespeare, I saw him act Shylock in the pre-national theatre days, when the National was at the Old Vic....but I saw a better Shylock years later when Dustin Hoffman came to London for a season) , or a Dennis Potter TV work, but the realism of 'Five Minutes Of Heaven' requires (IMHO) the actors to immerse themselves into the character and give up their egos. My fave for that kind of work is Timothy Spall, and indeed a lot of Mike Leigh films contain performances which are ego free and all the better for it.
  • Options
    great show,thought neeson was the better actor by a country mile,nesbitt always seems to over act cant bear looking at him.