Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The 'how much do you gamble ??' thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    I have me moments, £10 to £20 on big races like Cheltenham or National. Will go through stages of a bit too much on the footy/sports but then real it in. On sports gambling I'm rarely up long term.

Also use igindex to hedge any day trades I might make in the market. On individual stocks, and with stops in place it's a much more rational play. Then I'll get excited and play too big on the indexes. Naked gambing's the dogs for me. Doing it with reason and contemplation is always the way but hey I love to gamble and that's when it's not rational but just for the excitement.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I do a tenner on the Lottery on Sat and Wed, maybe £20 if it's a rollover. I do the Euro when it gets to £30 mio. There is no logical reason for doing more when it's a bigger prize but I do. The Lottery is a mugs game really, never won more than £80 odd. It's an "idiots tax", but I guess I'm a bit of dreamer....
    During the National Hunt Season I do a £1 Lucky 15 on a Saturday - £15 pound, one winner and you get double the odds, I usually only bet in handicaps and go for a horse favouably weighted and at odds of at least 6-1. It's amazing how many of these come in. I never bet on a short price favourite.
    If I go racing I'll probably do £20 a race but I only go 2 or 3 times a year. Cheltenham is different, I budget for it and like to have at least two selections per race, 3 in a big field handicap hurdle. I would normally back one to win at about 8-1 for £20 and do the others 16-1+ £20 E/W.
    My rule is that whatever I have for the week at Cheltenham I can afford to lose. If you go EXPECTING you are going to make money at the races you're doing it wrong IMO.
    If I start with a couple of wins or places as I have the last two years then I bet more. If I have run out by Thursday, then that is it. There is no going to the cashpoint for me.
    I've been lucky the last two years and come out well on top.
    I play the odd game of cards but only after racing.
    I used to do a bit of spread betting and won a load on selling Mark Ramparkash series runs against W Indies in '95. Not done that much since.I think I could make some money on cricket as it is a game I understand more than the pricemakers. However you need time to concentrate and a fair size bankroll to go in and out quickly to make money.
    Used to have the odd bet on Charlton but not anymore, had us to win 2-0 against Liverpool a few years ago, £100 at 8-1, that was nice.
    I usually do 3 horses in the National and had State of Play E/W this year, covered my other bets. I'd won on him in the Hennessey a few years ago.
    I love a flutter and used to follow horses a bit before kids started to eat into my Saturdays.
    Like most vices, gambling is great fun as long as you keep control of it and don't expect to make a fortune. Unfortunately you can often find a sad case of a married father in a bookies who has just spunked the last of his weeks wages on a "Dead Cert" at Catford.....
    Two of my good mates who post on here were both bigger gamblers than me, I'd be intersted to know how much they do these days, both family men now with other priorities.
  • Options
    don't bet too much, despite having three online betting accounts, with a combined total of about fiver left in them! I do the odd football bet on them and if there's any big races (horses) I might have a small flutter.
    Other than that, I do the lottery most weeks, always hoping..........
  • Options
    Right, do a work syndicate at work on the euro and domestic lottery but don't reallt have the dough to spare to do it myself

Poker? Not for me, don't have the patience

Black jack/pontoon? Maybe but for pitiful stakes hence pretty worthless returns!

Thing is I can't afford to lose really so don't tend to part with money on a whim gambling-wise.

Fruit machines? Most anti-social things ever. Go for a pint with a mate who likes fruities and tell me you like them? May as well go out with R2D2 and his flashing friend
  • Options
    About 1k a year mainly roulette......

love it...

won 500 bucks on my last visit....

Tip... never look at the wheel....

(16,20,24)

You must drink shed loads of hieneken in the process...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]
    You must drink shed loads of hieneken in the process...

Thats me out then...
  • Options
    Lottery every week.

Horse's once a year, Grand National when I make my annual donation to Ladbrokes.

Online poker, virtually every night although low stakes, at sit and go's, never fancied the cash games.
  • Options
    generally do about £20-£30 a week on football, the odd golf bet and horses on big races / meetings (i.e Cheltenham)
  • Options
    Very rarely.

A fiver on the national and the odd couple of quid on a football bet.

Although I did bet GHE that we'd get drunk last Saturday, and we did!
  • Options
    I can't imagine the odds were very good though R!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Too much.

If i have a day off, or a free Saturday i will get stuck into the Racing.

Normally footy accas weekly.
  • Options
    About £50 a week mostly on Horses
    Sometimes lottery
    A couple quid in fruities nothing like i used to
    Bonus ball at pub
    Cards mainly brag or Euka
  • Options
    So AFKA, what did you need to know? We've hung our dirty washing out in public, have we helped you?
  • Options
    Depends really, will usually lump on a bit at the big horse meetings.
    Football at the weekend probly about a fiver on average.
    But if I go to Ascot I'll do a stupid amount.
    Lottery occasionally, usually rollovers.
  • Options
    I do £20 on the Grand National every year, normally all e/w bets
    Then I do 1 football accumulator a month through the season about £5/10 a time.

Won £80 on the National last year for the first time in a decade.
    Was more successful with the football. 3 of the accumulators came in last season, had pay outs of £290, £540 and £1,100.
    Only won £90 so far this season...
  • Options
    £5.00 a week on 2 5 fold accumulators (football). Am currently £300 + up for the season.

I lik the dogs but since Catford closed haven't really been. Crayford is too narrow and betting is a real lottery there.

Used to bet at the Valley but am sick of the piss poor odds offered up by Ladbrookes.....when you see things like 6-1 on Chris Dickson & Deon Burton it doesn't really draw you in. Having said that in Darren Bents' first season Ladbrooks consistently gave him first goal scorer odds of 5-1 - 7-1. That got a fiver of my money every home game and I think I was about £300 up by the end of the season.

Best win at the Valley was £2.00 on El Kak and 1-0 against Blackburn (uncle Les in charge) 150-1......
  • Options
    Fiver a week in the work lottery syndicate, and sometimes pick horses for Grandad at Christmas and Easter. Oh and the annual Charlton Life bet/competition.
  • Options
    I'm still sore about not putting a tenner on a special for the Boro game at home a few seasons ago. They offered £500 return for us to beat Boro 2-1 and for Arsenal to beat Liverpool 2-1. Keep your money in your pocket mate said Carlsberg.

So I did

And on the way home was treated to the commentary of Thierry Henry springing Liverpools offside trap to seal a 2-1 win for the gooners.

I still have some hatred for that moment!! ;-)
  • Options
    football £2 a week and that's it.

Unless it's Jonjo then I'll have a fiver on first goals cos his bloody odds to good not to.
  • Options
    There are some people on here that should, in a word, seek help!! ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]There are some people on here that should, in a word, seek help!! ;-)

There was a member of CL who worked with a charity helping people with serious gambling problems but I've not seen him post for ages.
  • Options
    Probably too busy sorting out all the gambling problems of the masses on here!! lol
  • Options
    On a normal racing day, between £60 and £100 on horses, more if it's a big meeting.

I go to most local meetings, Plumpton, Fontwell, Lingfield and Folkestone.

Also do cross doubles on football, the odd golf bet and formula 1.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]

Used to bet at the Valley but am sick of the piss poor odds offered up by Ladbrookes.....

yep they are a joke i think ladbrookes took a hit with jonjo first goalscorer against norwich at 18 to 1 , i got him at 20's that day next game with ladbrookes he was 10's ffs but if you shopped around you could still get 18's!! ...... ladbrookes take the piss FACT

useful sight to have is this one below

http://www.oddschecker.com/
  • Options
    I do a lottery syndicate at work plus if i remember i chuck a couple of quid on the lotto as and when, i dont do the euro unless it is a huge rollover, i only bet on the gee gees during the national and cheltenham, if i go to the dogs or to a horse race card i bring 100 quid to lose and if i win then the money goes into the beer pocket not the 100 quid to lose pocket.

i may have a bet at the footie but normaly not, i never bet on the tinternet, i am shit at poker but do enjoy sitting in a smokey ale filled room with pals pretending to know a bit and try to win normally unsuccesfully no more than a score involved there though per person
  • Options
    £10/week on the lottery. And £6 on any euro roll over £25million and above.
    Its not really gambling, its dreaming.
  • Options
    bloody hell Jonjo 12-1 again with Paddy Power so bound to be 14-1 with others.- gonna have to have some of that..

racon 25-1 gonna have to weigh in with that as well - 14-1 just to be first goalscorer for our team

Bailey 14-1 ffs paddy power winding me up - 17-2 just to be first goalscorer for our team
  • Options
    Ladcrooks.
  • Options
    Right so if say it now, no one can accuse me of appearing wise after the event. Despite this weeks results I am going to back Liverpool to win the Prem. Sky says you can get 13/2 which means you can certainly get 7/1 if not better.
    United are playing poorly, ok I know they are winning but have some tough fixtures. Harry ( they play Spurs on Sat) has a superb record against them, then they have to play City who seem to have something over them these days. They play after Liverpool nerly every week and I think adds to the pressure.
    I think the odds are good and will lump some on in the morning.