Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Which Broadband ? Computers.

The luddite is back.

Getting a laptop in the next couple of weeks, but have been told i need broadband so as I can use it.
Had a quick look around and (as usual) got very confused.
If it helps, I've got a bt landline (and, touchwood, never had any problems with them) and am paying Sky £55 permonth for the full HD+ package.

Stay with either of them or go elsewhere ?

Discuss.

Comments

• Options
    I wont comment on the sky deal but I cannot recommend O2 Broadband highly enough. After being with Orange who were awful I wouldnt consider going elsewhere.
  • Options
    Sky do free broadband to customers, give them a call! And then they do faster broadband for £5 more!
  • Options
    AOL everyday of the week.

Not the cheapest but it is the botox. never ever had a problem and speed etc is spot on. especially wirelss network as well -

don't go Orange it's is jank know 2 people on it and they siad it's awful
  • Options
    Am also on T-mobile pay as you go.
    They anygood with Broadband ?
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited April 2009
    Go for Sky - my Dad (even more of a luddite than you) gets a great fast service from them. Plus if you take their Broadband you get to watch Live TV on your PC (That'll confuse you!!)
    [cite]Posted By: miserableold-ish git[/cite]Am also on T-mobile pay as you go.
    They anygood with Broadband ?

Like all Mobile networks, it's ok but not as fast as fixed line broadband. Advantage is that you can take your broadband with you.

As for Laptop - How much are you intending to spend?
  • Options
    Its a joint birffday present from Mrs.MOG , mum & dad and me sis; So about a fiver !!

No, about £300/ £320.

Just want it for CharltonLife , OS , etc.....
  • Options
    Go to Sony, get a Vaio, I have had various models for a few years and have just ordered a new one ... a little more expensive than some, but worth it. Otherwise give Dell a try, some good bargains on laptops at the moment.

[cite]Posted By: miserableold-ish git[/cite]Its a joint birffday present from Mrs.MOG , mum & dad and me sis; So about a fiver !!

No, about £300/ £320.

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Go to Sony, get a Vaio, I have had various models for a few years and have just ordered a new one ... a little more expensive than some, but worth it. Otherwise give Dell a try, some good bargains on laptops at the moment.

Sony are good - look in John Lewis see if they have any ex-demo models for sale.
  • Options
    Thamks all.........
    really appreciate all this "feed back".
    More the merryer.

Thanks again.
    P.
  • Options
    Been told they're looking at a
    "Toshiba Satellite L300-20D laptop".

Any stories (good or bad) with these ?
    Thanks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: miserableold-ish git[/cite]Been told they're looking at a
    "Toshiba Satellite L300-20D laptop".

Any stories (good or bad) with these ?
    Thanks.

Pretty good, although hard disk size is not massive, but for the price a good machine
  • Options
    Have had a two toshiba laptops over long period of time, never had problems with either.

Also steer well clear of orange, Im with them but not for much longer, customer service is awful. Id be pleased to hear what people have to say about virgin broadband
  • Options
    ACER ASPIRE ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Thommo[/cite]Have had a two toshiba laptops over long period of time, never had problems with either.

Also steer well clear of orange, Im with them but not for much longer, customer service is awful. Id be pleased to hear what people have to say about virgin broadband

I use virgin broadband - have to say they have been no problem for me, although others have had issues with them
  • Options
    toshiba shit hot mate.
  • Options
    If you've got Sky TV then getting Sky broadband is a no brainer. If you don't download movies or spend hours on Youtube then the free service should be just right for you.
  • Options
    Thommo - I'm with VM. I'm probably going to ditch them for Sky when my current deal runs out, just to save costs. They're OK, never any real outage problems, but they are migrating their email platform to Googlemail soon.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Go to Sony, get a Vaio, I have had various models for a few years and have just ordered a new one ... a little more expensive than some, but worth it. Otherwise give Dell a try, some good bargains on laptops at the moment.

[cite]Posted By: miserableold-ish git[/cite]Its a joint birffday present from Mrs.MOG , mum & dad and me sis; So about a fiver !!

No, about £300/ £320.

Not sure when they're updating there range, but my daughter got a bargain, when they updated last time, picking up an older model.
  • Options
    Going through the very same dilemma myself mizzer.

Gonna switch to sky broadband.IT'S FREEEE!

Laptops-Tesco's have got an Acer with a hundred squids off the RRP at the moment.Might have some of that,especially as i know a tesco employee who can get me a bit more off of the price.
  • Options
    02 without question.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I had a toshiba laptop which worked great until a power surge fried the motherboard while it was charging. My Dad's got exactly the same model, and it's still working perfectly happily nearly three years on, although admittedly it's on XP not vista which may make a difference. Get your family to have a look at the special offers section on the toshiba website, or at morgan computers - they tend to only do the slightly older models, but are usually a lot cheaper than PC world etc.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: blackheathaddick[/cite]I wont comment on the sky deal but I cannot recommend O2 Broadband highly enough. After being with Orange who were awful I wouldnt consider going elsewhere.

I've been with Orange for two years now and never had a problem. I suppose it depends on where you live and coverage.
  • Options
    Check out the February edition of Which Magazine who did a report into the various deals. (whisper to me and I'll e mail you a copy). You will find that Utility Warehouse came top by some way and were the only supplier to get their Best Buy award.

To go straight to their website check out Utility Warehouse

Yes I am an independent distributor for them! (FT Company of the Year)
  • Options
    Cheers fellas, all this has been v.helpful.
    Probably getting the SkyBroadband (easiest option !!), but.........
    There are 3/4 different ones of them.
    Again, please, advice !!

Thank you.

PS. Don't/won't need alot of "memory", as said before, just "surfing, and may put a few pics from the mobile on there.
  • Options
    http://www.acer.co.uk/acer/product.do?link=oln85e.redirect&changedAlts=&CRC=600100215#wrAjaxHistory=0

What about one of these?
    If its just surfing and a bit of picture loading why spend more than a couple of hundred?
  • Options
    * eastbourne addick
    * CommentTime1 day ago

quote# 14
    ACER ASPIRE ?
    We have an Acer aspire One and a Dell mini "m" series notepad. These smaller laptops are ideal if all you want to do is surf the net, pick up your mail or download tunes. Between the two I would go for the Acer aspire, slightly bigger screen (10") and sleeker look to it.

However, I'd go along with stonemuse and BDL, get a Sony Vaio. Apart from the performance, which is as good as you'll ever need from a pc laptop, the picture quality is superb. I used to watch TV and football on it while I was living in Japan. I can't recommend VAIO's highly enough, excellent machines.
  • Options
    One of the things I wasn't aware of until recently, is that the mini notepads don't have a dvd drive, which would rule it for me.
  • Options
    No, you'd have to use an external DVD drive for the mini ones. Like I say, good for surfing ans such like.
  • Options
    I've just got a second hand Dell Latitude D410 for £155 squids incl delivery. Bloody brilliant it is with XP not that sh*te Vista. Goes like sh*t off a shovel. No DVD drive but no problems as I have a USB one already. Very lightweight and just what I want for everyday use.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I've just got a second hand Dell Latitude D410 for £155 squids incl delivery. Bloody brilliant it is with XP not that sh*te Vista. Goes like sh*t off a shovel. No DVD drive but no problems as I have a USB one already. Very lightweight and just what I want for everyday use.

Right !!!
    Sorry, didn't understand a word of that !
    ;-)