Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Valley chief sees pre-season fears come true

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/4296860.Valley_chief_sees_pre_season_fears_come_true/

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2009
    **** me dontcha just love reading that.
  • Options
    This is really quite shocking, the message I get is as a manager you sit around and do virtually nothing because you can always bewail your fate and blame not having the players for the lousy results. Well in the case of Mr Parkinson it is entirely the fault of the players, because I can't detect anything he contributed himself. (apart from loaning them and picking them)
  • Options
    or maybe he was just being honest? and that does seem to be fairly honest.
  • Options
    To be fair we don't know how much he actually has changed behind the scenes. On the OS, an article with the same quotes, he's talking about things like the sports scientist Nick Davies coming back and fitness levels improving.

He can see the same striker problem we've been talking about on here. Get a good striker or two in, keep most of the first choice team we've got here and we've got a very good League One side. Whether or not that happens is a different problem, but he wants it to happen, he's seen it needs to happen like we have.
  • Options
    One thing Murray said yesterday was that Parky would have kept Iwelumo which given that he had him a Col Utd is no surprise.

Saturday's team with Big Chris rather than Kandol. Would have made a big difference over the season.

Sad reading but got to give parky credit for his honesty.
  • Options
    whatever has been happening behind the scenes, what i see in front of me is a rubbish team full of other clubs players getting f*** all points and going down.
    To be fair it can't be the fault of the manager who has been here nigh on two years, understudied the previous bloke, saw the problems in the close season, trains the squad, gets in the loans, decides the tactics, picks the team, does the team talk, deals with half time and decides the substitutions. I blame Alex MacFarlane myself, and if in the close season we do a bit of bish bash bosh, fiddle around a little, and examine the entrails of dead voles we should be all right. I mean if it all goes wrong it will be the fault of the fans, the directors, and everybody else but the manager. The manager like the chief executive is working with his hands tied (for a pittance) and actually doing a spiffing job, we simply can't see it because it's all behind the scenes.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I think he's given a very honest and frank assessment. When Pardew went we were in one almighty mess. It was obvious the players weren't fit enough to last more than 60 minutes. So far Parky has done a lot to improve that (not easy in the middle of a season) and create a much better balanced team with NO financial resources to help him.

The defence has improved, the midfeild has improved, he's got players like Bailey and Hudson and Sam performing well again, wheeas under Pardew their confidence was shot to pieces.

The big outstanding question: does he have an eye for a striker? It's our biggest problem, and I'm not convinced yet that Parky/ Kins/ Phil Chapple between them know how to pick decent new ones or get the most out of what we have in this department.
  • Options
    To be Fair

That is the best open and honest piece of news to come out of the club in ages

well done Phil
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]I think he's given a very honest and frank assessment. When Pardew went we were in one almighty mess. It was obvious the players weren't fit enough to last more than 60 minutes. So far Parky has done a lot to improve that (not easy in the middle of a season) and create a much better balanced team with NO financial resources to help him.

The defence has improved, the midfeild has improved, he's got players like Bailey and Hudson and Sam performing well again, wheeas under Pardew their confidence was shot to pieces.

The big outstanding question: does he have an eye for a striker? It's our biggest problem, and I'm not convinced yet that Parky/ Kins/ Phil Chapple between them know how to pick decent new ones or get the most out of what we have in this department.

i think that is fair, even generous.

On strikers I've already said about Iwelumo. He seems to rate Kandol who I like but think is limited. Hard one if we're not going to loan then it's taken a risk on an old timer JFH style or a raw kid (dickson/Fleetwood)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]To be Fair

That is the best open and honest piece of news to come out of the club in ages

well done Phil

Good point.

The truth, you can't handle the truth.... Oh sorry thought this was the film quote thread : - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

i think that is fair, even generous.

Just for clarification, Henry, do you mean generous to Parky or generous about the mess Pardew left us in?
  • Options
    Lots of meat there from PP and much of it very honest. Not particularly loyal of him to slag off Pardew quite so obviously but I can't say I blame him for it!

Interesting that he seems to think that the loan players DID cause a real problem in the squad last year but haven't done so this year.

Overall, though, I'm not sure I belive that he knew last summer that we would struggle this season. When we won three of our first six games back in Aug/early September, I certainly didn't think that!

For the record, since that rather good start, we've won just four out of 36 games.
  • Options
    Parkinson was talking about trying to sign Kandol which means that Andy Gray will be on his way out. We can't play the two together unless we are going to lump it forward which is not Parkinson's style. And besides, Gray's wages will be too big for a league one club.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]The big outstanding question: does he have an eye for a striker? It's our biggest problem, and I'm not convinced yet that Parky/ Kins/ Phil Chapple between them know how to pick decent new ones or get the most out of what we have in this department.

Impossible to say, not much was available to us in January. We'll see who we get in the summer, hopefully they already have some ideas of players that they know will do a good job.
    [cite]Posted By: Crazy[/cite]Parkinson was talking about trying to sign Kandol which means that Andy Gray will be on his way out. We can't play the two together unless we are going to lump it forward which is not Parkinson's style. And besides, Gray's wages will be too big for a league one club.

He thought Burton and Gray could play together though.

I hope he realised partnerships like that (2 of those 3) together won't work though. We need pace and someone that will run with the ball, get in behind, not two players that like to hold up the ball, play with their back to goal, win headers etc.
  • Options
    I think he has made a fair observation and although nothing is accepted as he's fault which is worrying. Nonetheless this is one of the first interviews that has given me hope for the future. We are all pretty much agreed the strikers have not delivered, some think the fringe strikers are the answer in the lower league and some are not convinced, which he seems to echo. At least we now know that he is in agreement with the majority opinion of the fans as we see it.

The acid test now is who he brings in as strikers. If Burton is the type of player we are in trouble again, however he had Iwelumo and Cureton at Colchester who formed a potent strike force.
  • Options
    StrikerFirmani said: "Nothing is accepted as his fault which is worrying. Nonetheless this is one of the first interviews that has given me hope for the future.''

Agree with both of those statements. Having accepted we are down, he's been able to step away from the weekly hurly-burly of 'bloody hell, where's the next three points coming from?' and come up with a bit more of a strategic view and make some decent points, instead of the asinine rubbish he's spouted over much of the last three or four months.

I would have liked to have seen him be man enough to shoulder his share of the blame, like Richard Murray did yesterday , rather than loading it all on to Pardew and the board's refusal /inability to give him any money to spend.

But I understand Murray also said yesterday that a decision on Parky's future employment would be taken in the next couple of weeks, so probably unreasonable to expect him to put his hand up and say 'yes, I've been s**t,too' at this precise moment when his own future is in the balance!
  • Options
    I give Parky a lot of respect for that article. He`s basically said exactly what people on this forum have been saying all season. You don`t often hear managers being that forthright. He has certainly cottoned onto the fans view of loans and explained his reasons well imho. Perhaps PP looks in on us CL goldfish ? Its taken a long time for me to say this but I am beginning to think he might do ok.
  • Options
    Am I the only one who feels the club needs a root and branch, slash and burn upheaval, to exorcise the sourness of the past three seasons then?
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I think this is a "damned if he does or damned if he doesn't" scenario. What does make me smile a little, is the notion that the squad was not good enough and somehow the implication is that this was not redressable without new signings. That is fine but without money how could this be achieved? Loanees? Well yes upto a point. Cut price bargain basement players? Well if you are lucky. Youth? What if the cupboard is pretty bare(Jonjo excepted)?

So what else is in the ambit of the manager and his coaching staff? Well how about developing/improving those players you have? My worry with both Pardew and Parky is that this isn't seen (publically anyway) as an option. That's a real concern I have regarding Parky's ability to turn things round. We need somebody who can take the individual weaknesses of players and help them to improve. Back when Curbs was building the team that eventually got us up to the PL, that's precisely what he and in particular Les Reed did with individual players. Les worked with them one on one developing their skills and ironing out their weaknesses. This must be the approach next season because without a sackful of cash, we are not likely to be able to sign players who are much better than what we've got.
  • Options
    I doubt that seth. I said exactly the same when Pardew was sacked. Truth is we don`t have ANY money and to team rebuild on that basis would I suspect be folly. I believe that we are just going to have to sit this one out and wait till the wind changes. My opinion of PP has improved just by reading that article.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Well Phil , you ain't going to have a lot of dought next year either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    OK, so judging by the evidence of Mr Philip Parkinsons failure we keep him in charge. What happens if we're still chite in October? Hang on hoping something will turn up? I understand that there were/are a lot of managers out there that would see managing Charlton Athletic as a good gig, are they ALL people who's only success comes from playing computer games?
    If we don't take action now, we're gonna be desperate if (judging by the evidence) we're still rubbish into next season. So I for one need a lot of convincing, a lot more than one press conference....what will Mr Parkinson actually do? The only case made in his favour so far is that keeping him will save us money. Indeed in his press conference he said regarding our squad you either bring in loans or work with what you've got....either/or??? not both then, he wants to add two or three players to the squad, but admits that some of the players brought in have not worked out as well as they would like, so whats to stop him bringing in other disappointments, he has already lumbered us with Spring and Burton?
    Sorry Mr Parkinson, your ideas are no more impressive than s dozen other potential managers out there, and your credibility is related to what you have done here already, and to say i'm underwhelmed would be paying a compliment!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    i'm glad this has met a positive response from some. the man can do nothing right in some people's eyes. Given how unpopular he is and how against him some people are, it was making me wonder whether he needs to go because of it. But we're all fickle enough that a good opening few games next season and all this will be forgotten and we'll get behind him.
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]OK, so judging by the evidence of Mr Philip Parkinsons failure we keep him in charge. What happens if we're still chite in October? Hang on hoping something will turn up? I understand that there were/are a lot of managers out there that would see managing Charlton Athletic as a good gig, are they ALL people who's only success comes from playing computer games?If we don't take action now, we're gonna be desperate if (judging by the evidence) we're still rubbish into next season.

If we're shite next october he will probably be sacked. Because he will have been given a chance to build his own squad, and can be judged on it. That's not something we can really do now.
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite] The only case made in his favour so far is that keeping him will save us money.

That's not true. People have argued we need stability; that parkinson hasn't been given a chance to build his own squad yet; and that he has a record of doing well in the third tier.
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite] Indeed in his press conference he said regarding our squad you either bring in loans or work with what you've got....either/or??? not both then

He means you either add to the squad or you don't add to the squad, so you can't do both, no. It doesn't mean he hasn't been working to develop the players he already has.
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]he wants to add two or three players to the squad, but admits that some of the players brought in have not worked out as well as they would like, so whats to stop him bringing in other disappointments, he has already lumbered us with Spring and Burton?

I'm confident Spring and Burton will be good players for us next year. We'll be looking at a lower standard of player next year and so parkinson will have more to choose from. Plus we won't be bottom of the league when he's trying to sign them. The players he has brought in had to be very cheap and interested in going to the team bottom of the championship so they were never going to be world beaters.

Sorry for the length of this post...
    the negativity and eagerness to scrutinise and then criticise PP for everything possible disappoints me.
  • Options
    Alan Pardew has success getting with Reading and West ham but failed with us, Parkinson had Colchester for three years and got them promoted, he wasn't successful at Hull, and when he left, Brown was successful there. So Parkinsons record of doing well in the third tier isn't exactly fantastic. I agree Spring and Burton may be better in the third tier, becasue they could hardly be worse can they?
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    BB doctors quick before it spreads to the rest of your noggin
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]
    [

I'm confident Burton will be good players for us next year. We'll be looking at a lower standard of player next year and so parkinson will have more to choose from. Plus we won't be bottom of the league when he's trying to sign them. The players he has brought in had to be very cheap and interested in going to the team bottom of the championship so they were never going to be world beaters.

the negativity and eagerness to scrutinise and then criticise PP for everything possible disappoints me.

BBclaus i was won over until this point mate
  • Options
    The club has played 38 or more players in a starting XI this season and Parky himself has brought in 10 players since Pardew's dismissal. I am afraid that this just Smacks of him being a, sadly, pretty unimpressive manger. Lets face it, we are all but relegated, and the gulf between us and the teams above has got steadily larger since Parky took over full time.

I have little sympathy for a man so clearly out of his depth.
  • Options
    If I was the manager, I'd read this forum first, and inwardly digest.

Then at the the next press conference, I'd tell reporters what the fans wanted to hear.

Cynical ..... me?
    I'm a salesman, what did you expect?
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]
    [I'm confident Burton will be good players for us next year. We'll be looking at a lower standard of player next year and so parkinson will have more to choose from. Plus we won't be bottom of the league when he's trying to sign them. The players he has brought in had to be very cheap and interested in going to the team bottom of the championship so they were never going to be world beaters.

BBclaus i was won over until this point mate

lol, if i make a post as big as that and you only disagreed with the last bit then i did alright ;0)