Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Addicks to go down fighting

edited April 2009 in General Charlton
From Fillyourboots
http://www.fillyourboots.co.uk/club-news-detail.asp?id=4013

Addicks to go down fighting
Charlton v Blackpool

Despite relegation to League One all but confirmed, Charlton will be confident of continuing their upturn in form when they host Blackpool on Saturday, a side not yet out of trouble themselves.

The Addicks must win their four remaining games to have any hope of avoiding the drop and even that is highly unlikely to be enough, but spirits in SE7 appear to be on the rise as third tier football beckons.

Phil Parkinson’s men are unbeaten in four matches with three 0-0 draws and a 3-2 win over fellow strugglers Southampton in recent weeks and after such a torrid season are at least going down with some dignity.

The Addicks sold their training ground this week in order to continue funding their academy which would be the only one outside the top two divisions should the Addicks go down.

And two players nurtured by the club, 17-year-old striker Tamer Tuna and right-back Chris Solly, 18, could figure this weekend as the Reds gear up for life in the third tier next term.

Blackpool could yet join Charlton in League One but with only a solitary defeat in their last seven, the Tangerines have edged to 51 points, five clear of the drop zone and will fancy their chances of maintaining their Championship status.

The Seasiders showed tremendous bottle on Easter Monday, coming from two nil down to claim a draw with Premier League chasing Reading with long-serving midfielder Keith Southern, a recent recipient of a new contract, and the lively DJ Campbell getting on the score sheet.

‘Pool caretaker manager Tony Parkes has challenged 7-goal Campbell to reach double figures before the season comes to a close, believing that would be a huge boost to the Lancastrians survival chances.

Parkes is yet to decide who will partner Campbell up-front on Saturday as he looks to puncture Charlton’s newly resolute rearguard, but Ben Burgess looks likely to get the nod over Lee Hughes.

However, with pressure off and a home crowd behind them, Charlton can take all three points despite knowing that come 5pm they may no longer be a Championship club.

Verdict: Charlton 2-1 Blackpool

Comments

• Options
    We sent Blackpool down about 30 years ago.They didnt return for many many years.
    I hope this isnt payback time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]We sent Blackpool down about 30 years ago.They didnt return for many many years.

Didn't they send us down? I remember going to BR on the last day of the season in 1971(?) and they thumped us 5-0
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]We sent Blackpool down about 30 years ago.They didnt return for many many years.

The only we can stay up is by winning all our remaining games and either(or both) Norwich and Barnsley losing all their games. In any case it won't be Blackpool that relegate us, although they may well apply the coup de grace, our wounds are self-inflicted.
  • Options
    | ment if Blackpool beat us that will be the end for us. I know we have relegated ourselves but at some point there will be a game where the oponents will nail the lid down.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]

The only we can stay up is by winning all our remaining games and either(or both) Norwich and Barnsley losing all their games. In any case it won't be Blackpool that relegate us, although they may well apply the coup de grace, our wounds are self-inflicted.

If Blackpool beat us then it's Blackpool that relegate us surely. Whilst i can see the point that a team gets relegated over a season, a defeat sends us down.
    Do we say that Palace relegated themselves over a season or do we sing that we sent them down?
  • Options
    I think we'll beat Blackpool, I reckon it will be a decent score i.e 3-0, 4-0, but results will go against us elsewhere and we'll be relegated.
  • Options
    Do we say that Palace relegated themselves over a season or do we sing that we sent them down?

They relegated themselves over the season - we merely confirmed the kill.