Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parky to Stay

I know I am going to get shot down by most on here, but here goes!

I want parky to stay as manager next year. I think he has had a improvement on performances and I feel that we need a bit of stability now.

I get the impression that the majority of the squad are behind him and if that is the case and he can keep the team together while adding to it with limited funds then that would be the best for CAFC.

I just do not feel that getting a new manager in and wholesale changes is not what we need again.

I know allot on here will not agree but it just the feeling I have.

who knows?

Comments

• Options
    i think it is very split at the moment.
  • Options
    I agree. Lets stick with him.... until next christmas and if we're bottom then perhaps change!
  • Options
    Give him until November...
  • Options
    I am in the keep him camp, pretty much for the same reasons that roseandcrown mentioned in his post.
  • Options
    seems to have problems getting service and goals, goals means points, etc without em we are dead in the water.
  • Options
    Has to go. I don't think he's going to do anything for us next season, we'll be nowhere near the play offs come November and the board we'll replace him. Get rid in the summer.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]I know I am going to get shot down by most on here,

Bang Bang, you're dead.
  • Options
    I genuinely don't know how i feel about this currently.
  • Options
    I think he should stay, he was onto a loser when he took over and has not done badly in turning an abysmal group onto a not-as-bad-as-that group.

Besides

Who else could we possibly afford and give spending money to?
  • Options
    I'm not sure.

Agree with a lot of what you say especially around team spirit and stability.

I also like the guy and think his views on football are very good, he's plain speaking and honest. He picks players on charecter, values hard work and so for me is much closer to the "Charlton way" of Lennie and Curbs than Dowie or Pardew.

I think he'll go on to be a good manager just not sure if that is with us.

I think keeping him may be enough to prevent a lot of fans renewing STs and won't give us the uplift and "feel good" feeling as fans going into the new campaign.

However, we have to be careful what we wish for. Another manager may or may not be better but whoever they are they are likely to want their own back room team so it's goodbye Kinsella and Chapple and more expense.

Personally I won't be upset to see Phil carry on but not sure if that is the best thing for the club as a whole right now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't want to pretend that this is an easy one, because it's not. But the fact is that in January, directors were still saying they thought we could avoid relegation. In fact, not only are we virtually down, we have not remotely looked like making a fight of it. So he has not delivered on directors' expectations. And the consequences are disastrous.

On the other hand, I haven't actually seen them live since the turn of the year. If you see a genuine improvement, not just in spirit but in tactics and style, and this continues, then maybe, just maybe, he has a case. You are right that stability is vital but not unless that brings with it a consistent improvement. Stability for its own sake brings nothing. If it did, RBS would stick with Goodwin.
  • Options
    Well, if you want stability with Parky, I fear it will be stability with results aswell and 3 wins since November is quite possibly the worst record of any manager currently in employment and many others with significantly better records, have been dismissed this season. He himself has squandered limited resources on dubious loan signings and free transfers creating a 'very unstable' starting line up week in week out.

The man is so clearly out of his depth and I just hope he realises this and does something he is better suited to.

Bemoaning that we woulæd have a squad that was in danger of relegation in pre-season and then between him and Pardew using 38 players in the starting XI suggests that the management team was simply dumb and dumber.

So in answer to the thread's statement.

[/A RESOUNDING NO BLOODY WAY!!b]
  • Options
    He has finally shored up the defence over the past few weeks. If we can keep that momentum going into the next season we should have one foot in the playoffs at the very least. I am sure the coaching team will put in a lot of work in the close season to get the forwards scoring goals. But this all depends on who will be our main strikers.

I am looking forward to the next season already...I seem to have that same feeling when we were last relegated into the 3rd division - full of optimism and forever charlton!
  • Options
    Keep him due to lack of other options/cash.

I have noticed an improvement in the team, if not in results. We don't have the "roll over and die" type attitude that was so apparent.

Difficult one though,
  • Options
    Keep him.
    There will always be a queue of would be managers but will they be any better than Parky?
    I'm sure Parky knows his job better than I do and for that matter those who employ him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]He has finally shored up the defence over the past few weeks. If we can keep that momentum going into the next season we should have one foot in the playoffs at the very least. I am sure the coaching team will put in a lot of work in the close season to get the forwards scoring goals. But this all depends on who will be our main strikers.

I am looking forward to the next season already...I seem to have that same feeling when we were last relegated into the 3rd division - full of optimism and forever charlton!

After only a mere 30 games, hurray, and we will probably lose half of our defence this summer. I guess he only needs another 30 games next season to do that.

I know that this sounds facecious but his record in management is poor elsewhere too.

His one success was with Colchester where he had a team of very good players, nearly all playting at a much higher level than league one now.
  • Options
    I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. I don't particularly want him but if we switch manager's, again, we're back to square one. It's gonna be a tough call for the board in the summer but I think they'll stick with him.
  • Options
    keep him until (if?)the comedy of errors that is Murray et al is replaced and the new owners appoint their own man. the present board have shown they have no clue when it comes to appointing a manager (bar Curbs in the distant past of course which could be put doen to luck) so keep him until the whole sorry mess can be replaced (after they have finished buying up the assets?)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]If you see a genuine improvement, not just in spirit but in tactics and style, and this continues, then maybe, just maybe, he has a case.

There has been genuine improvement in midfield and defence. parky can take real credit for the defensive improvement, there is an element of luck in midfield as we have had the return of ZZ and Racon. However, he has brought into midfield Spring, Soares, Gillespie none of whom have worked

Upfront we have not improved one iota and Parkie has brought in Kandol, who he now wants to buy and Burton who cannot get into the 1st team starting 11.

If we had strikers who could score then we would not be in this situation as we are creating chances.

I started this post in favour, but actually as much as I like the guy and will back him to the hilt if he is the chosen one, I would rather get shot at the end of the season and bring in a new broom. With the need to rebuild the squad almost universally we cannot afford to bring in a whole set of players (again) that do not perform to expectations.
  • Options
    Board needs to make a decision on him, and quick. All of this uncertainty and debate about him is not going to fill any potential new signings with confidence. imo we need to either sack him, or back him with a longer term contract. I can understand the point about season ticket renewals, but personally I'd rather the board scraped a few hundred thousand together to buy a decent striker than to pay Parkinson off. That too would have a positive effect on ST sales.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. I don't particularly want him but if we switch manager's, again, we're back to square one. It's gonna be a tough call for the board in the summer but I think they'll stick with him.

That's pretty much where i am at. That's the ridiculous thing... I defend PP on here more because i think the criticism is unfair and i don't think the negativity is going to help us than because i have complete faith in him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. I don't particularly want him but if we switch manager's, again, we're back to square one. It's gonna be a tough call for the board in the summer but I think they'll stick with him.

That's pretty much where i am at. That's the ridiculous thing... I defend PP on here more because i think the criticism is unfair and i don't think the negativity is going to help us than because i have complete faith in him.

However, the league table does not lie. 38 players used this season in the starting XI. This may just, IMHO, be the source of so much, justified, negativity...
  • Options
    Oooooh I don't know anymore. The players are fitter, more motivated but maybe just showcasing themselves. Need a striker, but he knows that and he also thinks Kandol will come good. Sorted out the defence and had luck to get ZZ and Racon back from injury. He feels like a Charlton man but the results don't inspire. Need him out maybe to get renewals coming in, but I dread more changes yet again.
  • Options
    What do people really think will happen with season tickets if he was outed? Do people think we'll suddenly have 2,000 extra sales or something? I don't.
  • Options
    Before I decide one way or the other I demand to know how much he earns.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]What do people really think will happen with season tickets if he was outed? Do people think we'll suddenly have 2,000 extra sales or something? I don't.

With an exciting managerial appointment, many have been mentioned previously, I think new hope and optimism will be spread and many more will renew. I certainly would if I still lived 400 m from the Valley rather than the other side of the North Sea.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]What do people really think will happen with season tickets if he was outed? Do people think we'll suddenly have 2,000 extra sales or something? I don't.

Not sure. a few people on here saying that will be their reason not to renew but that could be an excuse as they are not going to renew anyway or a bluff. Who knows?

A new, "name" manager might make a difference to sales but which name that we could get would impress a majority of fans?
  • Options
    Was interested to see that Kevin Nolan came out in his column after the Wolves game and said that Parky should stay next season.
  • Options
    Parky may have shored up the defence to some extent, only 14 conceded in 12 matches, but only by playing five in midfield, at least four of whom put their foot in. We still defend far too deep most of the time and he has not convinced me that we will be any less susceptible in League One. None of the defenders he has brought in possessed any pace, he hasn't turned to youngsters and if there is a payroll induced clear-out I'm sure he will replace with more of the same.

His reliance on 4-5-1 when only wins could have saved us (even at home) was unfathomable. His man-management of Moo2, Dickson, Wright & Mcleod was questionable as was his reliance on the under performing Gray until injured, and the contraversial reliance on mediocre loanees. His two permanent signings have been innocuous, and ignored as also rans by PP himself. He is a big fan of the calamitous Halford and ponderous Iwelumo, who despite his goals for Wolves was one of the most unwatchable forwards we've had for years. God knows who he'd waste our money on if he's with us next year.

Despite more percieved fight on the pitch, the rumours of poor morale in the dressing room still bubble under despite censure-ship on this site.

Finally, his record must speak for itself. Truly awful.
  • Options

It depends who gets the job. If, say, Curbs got the job I'd more than likely renew because I personally like his brand of football. But as it stands I want to play it by ear and get my tickets on a match-by-match basis because I haven't enjoyed the football under Parkinson. If things don't improve next season, I haven't wasted my money.