Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Highs and lows

edited April 2009 in General Charlton
A conversation. My sports desk, earlier this week.

Them - "Little treat for you this week"

Me - "Splendid..."

Them - "The Valley. You can do the last rites."

Me - "Er. Thanks..."

I feel like the bloke who's been dragged out to cover a wake...

Comments

• Options
    I have been to quite a few enjoyable wakes !
  • Options
    Mick, at least if you're doing it we'll be spared the usual "careful what you wish for" bollocks. Won't we?
  • Options
    Careful what you wish for, Ali...
  • Options
    Don't forget Mick the time we burned an effigy of Curbishley, spat in his face and fire bombed his car, while 5,000 members of the East Stand went on a 2-month hunger strike (hot chocolate only) because we weren't getting Champions League football.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Don't forget Mick the time we burned an effigy of Curbishley, spat in his face and fire bombed his car, while 5,000 members of the East Stand went on a 2-month hunger strike (hot chocolate only) because we weren't getting Champions League football.....

Not sure if Henry joined in the hunger strike. ;-0)
  • Options
    today is the day ... the big RELEGATION , so depressing phone exploding with laughing palace cnuts taking the piss ...i feel sick sick sick......what an aboslute disaster imo the worst 3 footballing years as a charlton supporter ... it's so depressing , please let this be the bottoming out of our club , i can't handle how low we've come as a club in such a short space of time , it was ok b4 cos we'd been chuff for years but now it's the reality of playing in a shit league in a half empty stadium so soon after our team was facing the best in the world in a sold out stadium....
    still maybe a chance to win some more games and go to new grounds aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Don't forget Mick the time we burned an effigy of Curbishley, spat in his face and fire bombed his car, while 5,000 members of the East Stand went on a 2-month hunger strike (hot chocolate only) because we weren't getting Champions League football.....

Not sure if Henry joined in the hunger strike. ;-0)

It was a hunger strike? I thought it was an eat as much as you like action!!!
  • Options
    We get to see new grounds rather than go over old ones. Good luck, but I'm happy that at least one Valley of Doom article is in safe hands.
  • Options
    Mick,

Please please please can you make a reference to "plucky Charlton". I miss those days.

Many thanks

O_it
  • Options
    1) no smarmy Gary Lineker to be a condecending prick.
    2) Kelvin the twat will be supporting QPR
    3) If we loose there wont be much to read -- as there wont be much to read !
    4) Easy to get served for a beer
    5) easy to get a ticket on the day.
    6) Nothing in the Evening Gooner ( sorry thats no change)
    7) Laugh at the Glory boys (sorry thats no chamge)
    8) We wil return to CULT status
    9) We might win the Welling Paint Trophy contest
    10) We wont see the Orange Ego at The Valley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    could be worse Mick u could get Millwall in play off final victory - oh shit u could still get that
  • Options
    Is Mick's piece available online anywhere ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Is Mick's piece available online anywhere ?

Oooooooooo errrrrrrrrr misses!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Is Mick's piece available online anywhere ?
    Probably, but we shouldnt promote those "type" of sites on here mate. ;-)
  • Options
    lol exactly what i was thinking ... sickos the lot of us !!
  • Options
    has anyone seen micks piece , is it a few column inches or a long piece??
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Spot the odd one out...
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]1) no smarmy Gary Lineker to be a condecending prick.
    2) Kelvin the twat will be supporting QPR
    3) If we loose there wont be much to read -- as there wont be much to read !
    4) Easy to get served for a beer
    5) easy to get a ticket on the day.
    6) Nothing in the Evening Gooner ( sorry thats no change)
    7) Laugh at the Glory boys (sorry thats no chamge)
    8) We wil return to CULT status
    9) We might win the Welling Paint Trophy contest
    10) We wont see the Orange Ego at The Valley.
    No. 4 - nailed on
  • Options
    i searched online earlier and couldnt find anything.
  • Options
    he's making it up!
  • Options
    Sorry folks - I don't know that all the Championship stuff goes online - it just goes into the print version of the paper. For what it's worth, here's my stuff from Saturday though, fresh off the laptop, so probably riddled with typos...

An injury time equaliser for Blackpool from Lee Hughes secured Charlton’s relegation from the Championship, on a day when only victory would have been enough to extend their perilous tenure in the division.

Having shot themselves in the foot in all manner of ways, it had seemed ironic that results elsewhere, with both Nottingham Forest and Barnsley picking up points, would finally send Charlton down, until Hughes, only brought on five minutes from time, delivered the final blow.

After a brisk, opening 45 minutes, where Charlton created sporadic chances, while leaving Blackpool's Ian Evatt unmarked to twice head wide of the target, thus offering a hint as to the reasons for their plight, the home side looked to have done what was required of them within three minutes of the re-start. Deon Burton rose to loop a header over Paul Rachubka, sending them ahead, while a fine finish from Jonjo Shelvey, just a minute later, latching onto Zheng Zhi’s through ball and finding the far corner, seemed to ensure that Charlton fulfilled their side of the bargain, by securing the win.

Their defensive frailty has been responsible for their current plight however, and as soon as Mark Hudson’s inopportune lunge on DJ Campbell with 25 minutes remaining allowed the victim the chance to narrow the margin from the penalty spot, which he duly did, sending Rob Elliot the wrong way, the ending seemed inevitable.

That it arrived with a minute remaining simply added to the cruelty, as Hughes found himself unmarked on the far post, and clipped home beyond Elliot to earn his own side a precious point and end the home side’s resistance.

“They must have problems here,” said Blackpool manager Tony Parkes. “They shouldn’t be going down. They’ve got better players than lots of sides at the foot of the table.”

Charlton have now offered the game two blueprints inside a decade – firstly showing how to create financially sustainable success, and more recently recklessly expensive failure.

For Parkinson though, despite relegation, there are reasons for optimism.

“I don’t know many clubs who would have been cheered like we were today. It is a special club, because of what it’s been through, going away from The Valley and coming back, and it will be back bigger and better.

“We got the lead, but lacked the professionalism to keep hold of it, and that’s what hurt us. If the nucleus of the squad can be retained and added to, we’ll be in a great position to return.”

Perhaps, but since the departure of Alan Curbishley three years ago, four managers have overseen two relegations in a dizzying decline. Before accounting for their most recent setback this once well-run club were losing £30,000 a day, and 25 full time staff now face redundancy as a direct consequence of the team’s shortcomings.

Charlton have not been relegated to the third tier of English football for 29 years, and while their previous demotion was corrected at the first time of asking, the financial issues surrounding the club at the time saw it slide towards within a whisker of extinction in the following years.

Their current financial plight is perhaps not quite so desperate, but remains uncomfortably acute. Iain Dowie, who replaced Curbishley spent £12m on signings who were, without exception, unsuccessful, and while Les Reed’s tenure was too short even to encompass a transfer window, Alan Pardew’s signings were equally disappointing.

In the last week, the Charlton training ground has been sold to members of the board, for £1.5m and leased back to the club, but plans for spending next year remain largely dependent on the number of fans willing to purchase season tickets. Despite a reduction in price, with a stadium holding 27,000, there will be enough space for people to pick and choose on a match by match basis when League One football arrives in August.