Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Not the going down but the way we let them back in

edited April 2009 in General Charlton
I don't if it got anyone else today but I could deal with relegation we've had plenty of time to get used to that.
But the way we just sat back at 2-0 up as if it was job done and then managed to grab a bloody draw from the jaws of victory really got me.
It has been a hard long season for all of us supporting this club we have had very few wins to hang on to for future glimmers of hope but today the players did not seem to be able to rise up to that for us or themselves.
I know today was academic and it didn't matter whether we won drew lost or even turned up but at 2-0 A WIN TODAY BLOODY MATTERED TO ME we haven't had many this season and it just might have GIVEN ME SOME HOPE for next season.
Jesus....

Comments

• Options
    The hope that was given when we thrashed cov on last day last season?
    After all i dont think the players are used to being 2-0 up they didnt know what they were doing!
  • Options
    That's how I feel 3blokes. Having witnessed only two wins in six months I was actually starting to look forward to getting my Saturday evening off to a good start for once. But no.

Only Derby away to look forward to now, although I intend being completed battered up there so probably wont remember anything anyway!
  • Options
    There was no way these players were going to run through brick walls for us today. They are,after all, pros. There is always another pay day for them to keepfit for.
  • Options
    totally agree we dont know how to win
  • Options
    It's called Hudson and soft goals given away at critical times- has happened several times this season!!!!!!
  • Options
    I thought it summed the season up yesterday. Get in a promising position and blow it by giving away the softest of goals and/or sitting back inviting pressure.
    We managed to do both yesterday. Although in the last month we've been a little more businesslike, and I think Darren Wards been responsible for much of that, we showed all the bad old habits haven't gone away.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    That is exactly it BW we are looking for signs that tho we are going down things have begin to tighten up and improve. Our 2 seasons in this league have been total failures. We are all looking to see that the ship has now steadied a bit; looking hoping to see that although we will no doubt lose players before next season we have got the POTENTIAL to halt the slide with the current set up.
    And as you say BW the old habits were never really gone. How many points have we given away this season? More than enough to have kept us up.
    Some teams, no matter what you do, just can't cut it. We have some good players but for whatever reasons as a team they have finished bottom because as a team it just doesn't work.
    And someone needs to have the ability to recognize what needs to be done to fix it for next season otherwise it will be more despair.
  • Options
    Can't agree more 3blokes, relegation was on the cards months ago, so a victory yesterday when we were dominating and leading with 20 minutes was not going to help that but it would have sent us home with a smile on our face and begin to believe that maybe next season could see better things. From the beginning of the game some players, Hudson and ZZ especially were going through the motions and it was they that combined to create the penalty opportunity which launched Blackpools fight back.

Too often we have dominated this season only to lose - Notts Forest at home 22 shots 0 goals, 4 shots for them 2 goals, how many times have we led at half time and then lost, too many to count
  • Options
    Agree Kap 10, looking at the stats this season, I was wondering what the ration between attempts on target were to the no of goals scored. Certainly in recent months the return has been abysmal. It's not as if we have been totally outplayed (well, not every time) , take the Birmingham game, twice as many efforts as them. It shows starkly our lack of a decent striker and unless we can resolve that, we will struggle again next season.
  • Options
    Its why we have to change the management team, this 'trait' of this and last season (losing or drawing from winning positions) should have been beaten out of the players by now
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The player are very used to giving up leads, not capitalising on leads and not making phases successful. It's a perfect example of the clubs season.

It's also a perfect example of how all through the side there is not enough people in defence, midfield and attack that are willing to drag everyone with them. I'll leave Elliot out of this assesment, as for all the pressure he's under his effort levels don't seem to drop and Bailey has a bit of irrational exuberance; if mis-placed at times. The squad is packed full of talented players but not ones who're willing to force issues.

Without some very nousey pros this squad will never have the character to challenge in winter in league one. It could do well in Autumn and Spring but even with Parky's favourite nucleus it's not good enough.

People bang on about Leicester but they had a much better bad season than us! They also had Howard, Oakley, Kisnorbo, Dickov, Clemence and Powell and many other tough loan players. Not one of our squad has the guts, determination and effectiveness of the previously named players. So without a few tough lower league pros we'll not get promoted.
  • Options
    "Character" - or rather a lack of it as a unit, as a team - says it all for me. We ain't shown any.