Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Its not just what we fans think

edited April 2009 in General Charlton
Here is what the Blackpool manager said and he is so very right

Blackpool caretaker manager Tony Parkes:
"We're not safe yet so we will stay focused and carry on.

"Charlton must have had problems here because they shouldn't be going down, they've got better players than a lot of teams around the bottom of this division.

"Hopefully they can get back. It's not always easy but if they can keep their players together they'll have a good chance."

Comments

• Options
    have we really got better players , for me the 2 critical games were Donny and Watford.
    When the chips were down they were not good enough.
  • Options
    Opposition managers often seem to think players like ZZ, Ambrose, Todorov, Hudson and Gray are Premiership players. Only ZZ out of them is anything like a Premiership player at the moment.
  • Options
    ZZ is the best of that llist but how is he anything like a premiership player at the moment. Was decent today but a shocking pass that led to their penalty today.
  • Options
    He's still got great marketing value in China from a business perspective so I can imagine a club like wigan or wolves may find him appealing for that alone.
  • Options
    We have MUCH better players than most in this division, unfortunately we started with an incompetant manager and have replaced him with a manager that is worse than useless.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]He's still got great marketing value in China from a business perspective so I can imagine a club like wigan or wolves may find him appealing for that alone.

I'd like to know what we've made out of that as a club - it can't be that much or we wouldn't be in such dire financial straights at the moment.

ZZ wasn't Prem quality when we were in the Premiership, in fact he single handedly wasted enough chances to keep us up. When we were relegated he was keen to jump ship but no one else was interested. I haven't seen anything since then to make me think he's prem quality.
  • Options
    It'd be interesting to know how long his work permit is for. If China aren't in the FIFA top 75 countries (I believe that's the cut off), the home office won't give out a new permit to another club.

The permit is currently for him to play for Charlton only, NOT for him to play football anywhere in the UK.

If he doesn't get a new contract with us, I can see him leaving the country.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]He's still got great marketing value in China from a business perspective so I can imagine a club like wigan or wolves may find him appealing for that alone.

I'd like to know what we've made out of that as a club - it can't be that much or we wouldn't be in such dire financial straights at the moment.

ZZ wasn't Prem quality when we were in the Premiership, in fact he single handedly wasted enough chances to keep us up. When we were relegated he was keen to jump ship but no one else was interested. I haven't seen anything since then to make me think he's prem quality.

Think after fx gains and losses are taken into account it is about as much as Steve Waggots salary ;-)
  • Options
    People have been talking about The Charlton Way.

Not sure the signing and retention of ZZ was what I would call The Charlton Way.

All well intentioned, could have paid off, but tbh another failure commercially and footballing wise.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]People have been talking about The Charlton Way.

Not sure the signing and retention of ZZ was what I would call The Charlton Way.

All well intentioned, could have paid off, but tbh another failure commercially and footballing wise.

In a weird way I find our often relative commercial incompetence and lack of nous quite endearing....the plucky young upstarts that we are!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    20/22 squad next season. Can't see ZZ being that.
  • Options
    I cant recall the detail but I thought the ZZ link started with Gideon Franklins business connections in the Far East.

I feel its similar to the Ivory Coast set up that was somewhat out of our natural comfort zone.

We are after all a small club in South East London and I just think we should focus a bit nearer home.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]People have been talking about The Charlton Way.

maybe i'm being naive... but signing ZZ was first and foremost a footballing decision because he is a very good player. He also seems to have affection for the club and i don't think it is true that he got no other offers when he re-signed for us, as Stig says. Any extra exposure we got was just an added bonus, i'd have thought. I don't doubt the guy's commitment and signing players who give their all and care about the club (like ZZ seems to) is the charlton way IMO, wherever they're from.

On a side note, people who don't rate ZZ absolutely baffle me. A top player.
  • Options
    I think we got 'lucky' with the re-signing because of the decline of China's National status which left him ineligible to join a Prem club. Thats my recall. May be I am wrong.

May I baffle you by saying I think he may be a top athlete but not a top player.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]I think we got 'lucky' with the re-signing because of the decline of China's National status which left him ineligible to join a Prem club. Thats my recall. May be I am wrong.

May I baffle you by saying I think he may be a top athlete but not a top player.

consider me baffled ;0)
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]We have MUCH better players than most in this division, unfortunately we started with an incompetant manager and have replaced him with a manager that is worse than useless.

No we don't. Who are these MUCH better players?

ZZ and Racon are good players, but there are equally good players in their position at other clubs. Shelvey is still only 17 and played 20 games for us at the most. Bailey is a typical hard working decent Championship player.

Who else could you be talking about?
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]On a side note, people who don't rate ZZ absolutely baffle me. A top player.

He's at best a lower Prem player, really more of a good (but not great) Championship player. Therefore I rate him for where we are as a club at the moment. We had equally good and better players when we were in the Prem though.
  • Options
    Bit harsh maybe Scoham?
    If we had a decent pair of strikers playing in front of them, we'd probably be raving about them IMO.
  • Options
    Harsh on Zheng? I meant I rate him as a very good player considering the position we're in. If we were in the top half of the Prem he'd be a good squad player. Players like Parker and Jensen were better players, but that's more about how good they were.

If you meant the other bit, I don't see how anyone can say we have much better players. We have some good players, but they aren't clearly better than the rest of the league.

I agree about the strikers, I keep repeating myself about it but it's making the team look so much worse than it is. I don't blame Parkinson for it, he could do nothing about it in January with no money and with us bottom of the league. Good strikers would take pressure off the rest of the team, both defensively and from the midfield to score.
  • Options
    I think ZZ is over-rated and has been pants for the last three or four games, in fact since his return.