Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Richard Murray

edited April 2009 in General Charlton
A big thank you. Although some people may not agree i believe charlton as a football club we owe a lot to you, you have continuously put your own money into our club and although some bad decisions have been made you have tried your best and you have the best intentions for the club and although some people will disagree with me, thank you richard.

Comments

• Options
    I won`t disagree !
  • Options
    Mr Murray is as much a legend as any, he and Mr Alwen and their peers helped make sure we have a team to moan about in it's own ground
  • Options
    Yes, Richard is a true Charlton legend. He's put so much into our club in the way of money & time. It's just such a shame that it's all turned out like this. You can't blame him for wanting to sell out now & let somebody else have a go. If it happens, good luck to you mate. I know you've always put Charlton first. Thanks.
  • Options
    Agreed and he'll be feeling it as much as any of us tonight.
  • Options
    I challenge anybody to disagree with that.

The greatest sadness of all this season is to see the man that should be heralded alongside Seed,Bartram and Curbs in the history of this club apologise time and time again.

Very humbling.
  • Options
    no one would disagree with that at all

"some bad decisions"

thats all people are saying over the past few months
  • Options
    can't express my sorrow for not only charlton fans but for people like him who have helped this club develop over the years,although relegation has been a dead cert for so long now it's only just hit home after today...
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: J BLOCK joe[/cite]can't express my sorrow for not only charlton fans but for people like him who have helped this club develop over the years,although relegation has been a dead cert for so long now it's only just hit home after today...

All good things come to an end as they say as have our recent years in the top flight. I really hope Murray sees the next few seasons through with us until we are back in the prem/ top echelons of Divison 2 so he can go out with the pride he deserves.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: J BLOCK joe[/cite]can't express my sorrow for not only charlton fans but for people like him who have helped this club develop over the years,although relegation has been a dead cert for so long now it's only just hit home after today...[/quote]

All good things come to an end as they say as have our recent years in the top flight. I really hope Murray sees the next few seasons through with us until we are back in the prem/ top echelons of Divison one so he can go out with the pride he deserves.[/quote]
    totally agree
  • Options
    I dont quite understand something.

Does Richard really want to sell?

Or is it that he doesnt have the resources to do what hes done in the past and what the club needs?

To me they are two different things and when the reference is made to 'New Investors' its not necessarily the same as Richard wanting to sell.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    New investors with murray staying in position would be the ideal outcome in my mind.

The more i think about the whole zabeel deal which would have been a complete "takeover" of charlton the more it sends a shiver down my spine and a sense of relief that it fell through.

Man City may have the cash but in no way are they a "richer" club in any sense since their takeover.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]I dont quite understand something.

Have you considered that Richard may not be the problem ?

Just a thought...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

Just a thought...

Tell me more AFKA?
  • Options
    What a great thread.
    There's been so much blame the board/sack(sic) the board recently I'm glad that some of you guys have come out in support of Richard Murray.
    What more could a Charlton fan who came into money have done for our club?
    Here's to you Richard, and stick with us we need you.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]I dont quite understand something.

[/quote]

Just a thought...[/quote]
    I no for a fact that their are some new members to the club within the last few years who have upset the harmony quite a lot
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: J BLOCK joe[/cite]

Just a thought...
    I no for a fact that their are some new members to the club within the last few years who have upset the harmony quite a lot

And would you like to expand on that?
  • Options

Just a thought...

AFKA, you just posted my very thoughts - spooky. I believe whatever the solution Richard Murray isn't the problem.

Despite everything that's happened, I have total respect for Richard who has "put his money where his mouth is". When things have gone wrong, he hasn't hidden away. He has stood up, apologised for mistakes, given as much information as he is able. To me the bloke is already a legend and he's still involved and putting his hand in his pocket (along with others of course).

At some time in the future if and when he steps away from his running of this club, I'd like there to be a suitable tribute to mark his involvement with the club. Richard, Peter Varney and Curbs were the three who really dragged this club into the modern era. (After the initial work of others including Lennie). In these modern times when you can go to Stadia like Coventry's and watch a game played in the Ricoh Stadium, and sit in areas called the Tesco or Telegraph Stand, how we might stand apart from this ersatz plastic world by enhancing the Valley by perhaps naming it

The Richard Murray Stadium

And along with The Jimmy Seed Stand (thats the South Stand Henry), maybe we should rename the West - The Peter Varney Stand, the East, The Alan Curbishley Stand, and the North, The Lennie Lawrence Stand.

That would say it all for me.
  • Options
    [/quote]

And would you like to expand on that?[/quote]

possibly a reason why varney actually left.....
  • Options
    Well if Richard Murray isnt the problem, who or what is?
  • Options
    Let's not forget Roger Alwyn in all this recognition hyperbole, Bing.
    Guess it'll have to be The Roger Alwyn car park, then. (Sorry Rog)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2009
    Ooops.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]Let's not forget Roger Alwyn in all this recognition hyperbole, Bing.

With maybe the potholes named Iain Dowie and Alan Pardew. Then you could have the Derek Chappell Prayer Room and Perhaps Charlton Station could include the Les Reed siding and the Phil Parkinson buffers?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]Let's not forget Roger Alwyn in all this recognition hyperbole, Bing.

You are also forgetting about Mike Stevens, the Chicago-based director, whose funds helped the club make payroll and helped to make the return to The Valley a reality. His financial contributions then, and the role that he play, has been underplayed in the whole Charlton saga.

It should also be noted, and I do not think has been previously reported here, that Mike resigned from the PLC board in December, after something in the neighborhood of 18 or 19 years. He is still on the football club board, but no longer on the PLC.
  • Options
    Richard Murray = Legend
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I don't know what 'problem' Murray may or may not be, but he we assume by his shareholding has had final say on all finance decisions, manager hires etc. So not really sure how he can be not the problem in that sense?

of course those 'mistakes' may all have been good experience and make him the ideal candidate to remain at the helm

(not in anyway meant to be disrespectful to RM his backing etc I also agree he is a club legend)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]Let's not forget Roger Alwyn in all this recognition hyperbole, Bing.
    Guess it'll have to be The Roger Alwyn car park, then. (Sorry Rog)[/quote]

You are also forgetting about Mike Stevens, the Chicago-based director, whose funds helped the club make payroll and helped to make the return to The Valley a reality. His financial contributions then, and the role that he play, has been underplayed in the whole Charlton saga.

It should also be noted, and I do not think has been previously reported here, that Mike resigned from the PLC board in December, after something in the neighborhood of 18 or 19 years. He is still on the football club board, but no longer on the PLC.[/quote]

Good point well made, Doug. In my experience, Mike is a genial gent, always with a cheery greeting, and largely under-recognised by fans.
  • Options
    Richard is a great guy and cares passionately.

He is partly to blame for what has gone wrong, something he freely admits.

It is not all down to him. Not in the boardroom and certainly not on the pitch.

I for one am very pleased that he has invested so much of his time, money and heart into Charlton and will be very sad when he leaves.

If there is to be a takeover and I had to choose one Charlton director to stay to guide the new owners I would say, without a moments hesitation, that it should be him.

The pain I'm feeling now about relegation is so much worse because we flew so high and for so long. That we were so high for so long was in a large part down to Richard.

The descent has been painful and it may not have ended yet but I would rather have had the previous 18 years with RIchard Murray at the helm, relegation, Dowie et al, than not.
  • Options
    spot on Henners.
  • Options
    I think he was right to make the appology.

Regardless of our plight and mistakes that have been made I have total respect for the guy and am gratefull to him for all the good work he has done and the many successful things he has helped the club achieve.

Even if we are ever taken over I would hope that he stayed on the board of the club.

The fact the club is still respected in the football world today even with our fall, speaks volumes for him personally.
  • Options
    Interesting to read what Henry says as he has, after all, been in plenty of board meetings with all of them.