Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Job Seekers Allowance

MCSMCS
edited April 2009 in Not Sports Related
Yo dudes.

As many of you may be aware, i was made redundant from my job in the print. I was very happy in my job, was absolutely gutted to have been made a jobless bum, and though no fault of my own. Anyhow, that aside as there is little work in the game i am qualified in my Mrs went back back to work early off of maternity leave to win the bread, she works as a recruitment consultant for, yep you guessed it the print! So she went back after having to give 2 months notice, and when she went back she was under the redundancy threat as well!! Luckily she is safe now for time being, but has a take a pay cut! So basically we are just about scraping by with the money she earns, and the money my old firm very kindly gave me a goodwill gesture, i wasn't there 2 years so was entitled to sweet FA.

So i have the absolute pleasure of looking after my 6 month old, which is awesome, as my long hours at work reduced me to a part time Dad. I also had to go a do the dreaded deed of signing on, or getting Job seekers allowance! The process took an hour and a half phone call, then a hour meeting at the beautiful job centre in Bexleyheath! For what i thought i was a very measly 60 quid a week. Now that would be ok if say i didn't have a mortgage and was getting my rent paid by the gov, as that would be a nice little bounty for a few ciders! When i go to the jobcentre i have to prove that i am looking for work, as if that 60 poxy quid even pays my gas electric and council tax!! It don't, and certainly does not really help me in any way! Anyway i received a letter from the dole people, after going down and signing on 3 times, that i was only entitled to £1.60 a week! Yep £1.60! It costs £1.20 to park! That is based on Mrs MCS getting statutary maternity pay of off the gov of £117 per week. When i told them she had gone back to work they told me i wouldn't even get the £1.60! SO i have to go down the job centre, surrounded the slags and dregs of this world, who have never really contributed (i paid 10k in tax alone last year!) for nothing apart from they say they pay my national insurance! I said well what does that get me, they said that if i ever needed to claim benefit i need to always pay that! I mentioned to them that i had been working everyday of my life since 16 (i am 29 now) and paid it ever since then, and that i need benefit now, and am getting bugger all!! Sorry about the long post, but the government have really let me down here!! I can't believe how badly i am getting treated when i am a good member of society, and through no fault of my own am being out of a job and getting no help from the gov!! When my money from redundancy runs out i am totally buggered, and i would just like to say thanks government for helping me. NOT.

I have to go and sign on today at 4.15, my Daughter has her dinner at 4, so that totally messes that up for me, have to get my Ma in law to come round and do it, hassle all round!! Every other Tuesday i am at my lowest, and to all that know me on here i am as chirpy and happy go lucky as they come.

I hope that Charlton can at least cheer me up tonight.

Comments

• Options
    Feel sorry for you mate, soul destroying on the JSA, my other half has just been told that out of 7 in her I.S. training dept, 1 of them could be redundant by the end of June.

I have taken the precaution of booking myself on the Dartford council local knowledge test (£15) to gain my council accredited mini cab licence, in case things go pear shaped for me here or if I need extra cash if she loses her job. Know one of the guys who owns a local mini cab firm who will hire saloon cars out to mini cab drivers.
  • Options
    Feeling for you MCS - I was Jobless for a month last year and that was difficult enough and I dont have a child to support. I sincerely hope you find something soon.
  • Options
    That really is a c***. Especially when you see the 'incapable' people out buying a new 402 inch flat screen with money that needs to go elsewhere (people like you)

Charlton aren't exactly helping either!
  • Options
    It just sounds all so wrong mate, so so wrong.
  • Options
    I've been there myself afew years back. I too was entitled to bugger all but they still wanted me to sign on to pay my NI.
    I didnt bother. It left me feeling that the state hand outs are not for people who have worked.
  • Options
    nightmare , just keep your head up and remember baby ginge and that should bring a smile to you... good luck
  • Options
    Dude that's a sh!tter but really comes as no surprise. If you're an immigrant or a proper low life, you'll get the full set of a house, car, food... the lot. People who have worked hard and really need it get nothing.

I thought of you the other day when I noticed a print job in the local rag. Looked perfect til I saw the location, down on the Kent coast.

Chin up fella. Fingers crossed the economy is starting it's turn for the better
  • Options
    is the kent coast worse than driving to Uxbridge?

Its horrible to hear MCs.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    Looked perfect til I saw the location, down on the Kent coast.

...and what's wrong with the Kent coast?!
  • Options
    Well ooooh aaaarr that is my saving grace, my littlun is an absolute joy to look after!! And the fact me and the Mrs have completely swapped our lives around shows us what its like to be each other!! It has brought/bought (which one do i use in this instance!! lol) us closer together. Plus i have been doing loads of cooking and because i am the superior cook (not trumpet blowing Mrs mcs knows this) we have having some lovely meals, and all ready when she gets in from work!!

Yesterday i was in a weaning frenzy, daisy was exactly 6 months old yesterday and we introduced a dinner to her already beakkie and lunch! The faces she pulls are just magic when she eats!! Definate saving grace, and in a way i want her to be 7 months before i get a job so that when i do have to give her to childcare she is properly weaned, and in a proper routine!

Wow i sound like a bitch!! lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: L Block JT[/cite]

I dont live anywhere ner the Kent coast!! lol

Anyhow i am actually looking to get out of print now, it was ok when it just me and Erika, now we have nipper i need something more secure!! The other bloke who made redundant at the same time as me, had been in pint 20 years, and that was his fifth time of being made redundo!!

I may have something in the pipeline, but am not going to elaborate in case it dont come off. Could be the opporunity i need to get me on top of the world again! In my working life, i struggled so much, scraped by just, until i got my last job, which i was very well paid for working in a pukka place, took 10 years of shite to get there! It is hard to keep me chin up, but that i will!! I'll be back.
  • Options
    you can drive to the Kent coast quicker than you could drive to Uxbridge which you were willing to do. Im sure.
  • Options
    grow your beard longer wear a kaftan and go in saying you are mohammed azharuddin and you fear for your safety in war torn Bexleyheath and it might make a difference. Sums up this country in a heartbeat.

No surprise whatsoever. When my missus was made redundant 3 years ago she got bugger all but had to keep signing on so we got our mortgage paid by the insurance company. she fecking hated it. - We paid our money into the insurance might as well take whatt you're entitled to.

U got the right attitude to it mate keep at it
  • Options

Nothing at all! Just didn't think Ollie would do the daily drive from Belvedere to New Romney!
  • Options

Nothing at all! Just didn't think Ollie would do the daily drive from Belvedere to New Romney!

But it's such a lovely drive!
  • Options
    Feel for you MCS. Been on JSA since December and it ain't nice. It's a soul destroying trip for a pittance but at least the bloke who sees me every other Wednesday is nice and chirpy and cheers me up. Other than that it stinks. Also it doesn't help my fiancee still gets up at 5am and works her fingers to the bone while I apply for every job I can and get rejected more times than I care to mention. I wish you all the best for the future mate...
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hijack a plane mate threaten to blow it up and kill everyone , then phone Cherrie Blair.

my old man worked for 40 years, paid tax till he died 83 and still had to pay for his care when he had a stroke.

The system only comes after the easy targets who have no defenders, thats the workers who actually pay.

Dont watch Benefit Cheats FFS or you will smash the tV. People working in Indian restuarants claiming for everything for 5/6 years and get caught --- no bird and as they have kids can still claim benefits.
  • Options
    Yeah GH i cant watch programmes like that they do my nut in!!

Sorry to hear that too Spankie. Do you go to Bexleyheath!! I have had a different one every time, and all as moody as hell!! Not to mention the big Lesbion bouncer women, who is just so incredibally rude!! She was lucky once my mrs didn't tear her a new one!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]all as moody as hell!! Not to mention the big Lesbion bouncer women, who is just so incredibally rude!! She was lucky once my mrs didn't tear her a new one!!

Sounds like she may have enjoyed it though!
  • Options
    MCS, I know it doesn't help with the pain in the arse that is signing on, but have you looked at whether you and the mrs are entitled to working tax credits? It won't be a lot, but may help with the cash flow a bit. There's a bunch of questions you can fill out at http://www.entitledto.co.uk/ to work out what's available to you
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I cannot believe what I am reading on this Thread our Goverment should be ashamed. Feckin awful news Ollie.
  • Options
    My missus has been looking for work since we moved back from France in mid-Jan. So far must have applied for 40 plus jobs and had several interviews. Recently we had to go back fro a few days, literally a few days, to start sorting the house out as we've been luky enought to sell it. My wife, because she's honest and never been in that situation told them that she needed to rearrange her appointment at the dole offcice as we had to go to France to sign some papers, etc.

Okay they says, that means you're not available for work nor making an attempt to find work in that time so you have to sign off before you go then sign back on again 3 days later. In the meantime, she was stoped her JSA.

Total joke and waste of everyones time given the effort she's put in compared to most of the scumbags she has to mix with down there who know how to work the system and would've just made up some pony excuse.

This last few months has really opened our eyes...
  • Options
    Thats shite Oli.....................................................................Absolutely fecking speachless. :(
  • Options
    Olly,

I really feel for you mate. I am also on the cusp of redundancy but I have 3 months paid notice to look forward to and my redundancy money will look after us for a while. I understand I am very very lucky in that respect and I hope to get some garden leave so that I can spend some quality time with my 9 month old.

What really grips my turd here though is that you are an honest bloke who has always worked, contributed and paid taxes and yet when you need something back from the Govt you get treated like a naughty schoolboy. It's so so unfair.

I walk past a job centre in town where I work and I always see the pondlife milling around in there and then straight off to the off licence and then the park. They are not looking for work or tryingt o contribute and this is soul destroying.

I think the only thing you can take from it as a positive is that you have had a chance to bond more with your daughter and these are days you will never ever ever forget - I know when I go and pick up Francesca from the nursery after work today she will give me a smile and a hug and that just makes everything better - regardless of how shite a day I have had.

I really hope it works out for you buddy - and if we get around to the 2nd CL golf day i'll be there again and will buy you a beer at the end of it all.

Hope it works out for you buddy
  • Options
    Ollie,
    Check out your facebook inbox.
    I might be able to help in a small way.
    Hugh, no longer trawling
  • Options
    Nothing to add mate- just feel for you.

But remember this- you're a good guy and stick with it because the cream always rises to the top eventually!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Nogginthenog[/cite]Ollie,
    Check out your facebook inbox.
    I might be able to help in a small way.
    Hugh, no longer trawling

haha top man, you made it.
  • Options
    Hope it turns around soon MCS

In the immortal words of Norman Stanley Fletcher....."Don`t let the bastards grind you down"
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that....

the truth of the matter is the system is designed to make the people at top richer and really doesnt offer any real support or "security"

the're c#$%s
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Hijack a plane mate threaten to blow it up and kill everyone , then phone Cherrie Blair.my old man worked for 40 years, paid tax till he died 83 and still had to pay for his care when he had a stroke.The system only comes after the easy targets who have no defenders, thats the workers who actually pay.Dont watch Benefit Cheats FFS or you will smash the tV. People working in Indian restuarants claiming for everything for 5/6 years and get caught --- no bird and as they have kids can still claim benefits.[/quote]Totally agree with the above.And remember If you work and lose your job through no fault of your own but have paid into "the System"you can basically F@ck off, if you are a scammer and a parasite then you can claim in various names and at various addresses for your myriad of of offspring. Or you can just pop up into the friendly Uk free bank from anywhere in the EU. Perhaps we should all see what the benefit systems are like in mother Europe and as citizens of the EU see what we are entitled to as UK residents, my guess is F@ck all.  Charlton however have not helped to raise anyones spirits for 3 years now!