Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Anyone else got a 50%!! income tax bill?

;-)

Me neither.

Comments

• no, unfortunately not
  • I work for the NHS so unfortunately not.
  • No, 64% Happy days...
  • steve waggott?
  • [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]steve waggott?

lol - let's re-raise the thread
  • yep pissed me right off it did

how can a bloke with white hair but black eyebrows be trusted to do anything sensible
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]yep pissed me right off it did

how can a bloke with white hair but black eyebrows be trusted to do anything sensible

He did ok in Thunderbirds.
  • nowhere near
  • Chance would be a fine thing.
  • Martin Christensen must be furious!
  • Sponsored links:

• There were a few happy lawyers at my place today!
  • Had to laugh at Ian Wright et al on Talksport moaning about the 50% rate. Hey Wrighty try cleaning up a terminal patient's embarrassment for 12k a year.
  • Our CEO is a Charlton STH so he's gonna get hit..HeHe
  • Sadly not.

Alan Brazil is whinging on about it now on Talksport, gonna effect his £200k+ a year.
  • [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]Sadly not.

Alan Brazil is whinging on about it now on Talksport, gonna effect his £200k+ a year.

With any luck he'll leave the country and go into tax exile...
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]I work for the NHS so unfortunately not.
  • Thankfully I dont pay any tax.

But it doesnt exactly encourage me to come back to the UK and start paying it!!

If you were on 150k you would end up paying an extra 14k a year in tax, what is going to happen to people who do earn that sort of money, have a large mortgage and also have negative equity?.

This is labour making headline statements but in the end in may not contribute as large a revenue as they think.
  • If you were on 150k you would end up paying an extra 14k a year in tax, what is going to happen to people who do earn that sort of money, have a large mortgage and also have negative equity?.

It's tough at the top isn't it? Amongst the many problems that this country faces worrying about how already very rich people are going to survive if thety have to pay a few extra K in tax is so far down the list it isn't worth thinking about.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]If you were on 150k you would end up paying an extra 14k a year in tax, what is going to happen to people who do earn that sort of money, have a large mortgage and also have negative equity?.

It's tough at the top isn't it? Amongst the many problems that this country faces worrying about how already very rich people are going to survive if thety have to pay a few extra K in tax is so far down the list it isn't worth thinking about.[/quote]

I hardly think 14k is a few extra k!

But if you think taxing the top 1% is going to make all the difference you are deluded. This is an election ploy thats all.

Tax should be reasonable and taking 50% of someones hard earned salary is unfair.

I can never understand why people should be unfarily punished for being successful, the more you earn you pay more tax anyway.

The sad truth is many people are totally under paid and that should be the issue.
  • Sponsored links:

• the biggest revenue hit will be the NI cons (con) that is due to come in from the last budget (september?) it hits us all but lets spin it out so everyone forgets it !

one thing New Labour said it would be above all sleaze and spin etc etc and make politics more open and clean !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gordon Brown down three circuits of his f**kin bedroom before he gets into bed -spin-- spin --spin.
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]steve waggott?

lol - let's re-raise the thread

That is priceless. Lol.
  • The Budget

By Lewis Carroll
  • What people like Brazil and footballers don't realise is that they only earn ridiculous ammounts because of the ridiculous ammounts of easy cash that came into the economy. Media companys survived via the huge bump in money rushing into the country, which then filters in from private equity and stupid loans. Clubs were bought with ridiculously leveraged loans placed against them.

Personally footballers should be taxed to buggery for their pathetic contribution to society. Then you could leave poor hard working musicians and accountants/lawyers/bankers alone.
  • This only comes in next year, so the answer to the OP is nobody in the UK.

With a bit of luck and a following wind, it might affect me. On the other hand I might be out of a job if the fit continues to hit the shan. I can't get too vexed about it to be honest. Not that I welcome money getting wasted on MPs expenses, junkets, scroungers claiming thousands for doing jackshit and so on (but that also applied when I earned £10k a year too), but it's fair enough to contribute to the country that educated me etc.

As BFR says though, it's a ploy and won't pay for one day of Iraq folly, or banking folly.
  • Great story here that sums up how the tax system in the UK works :

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to £100.

If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this:

The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.
    The fifth would pay £1.
    The sixth would pay £3.
    The seventh would pay £7.
    The eighth would pay £12.
    The ninth would pay £18.
    The tenth man (the richest) would pay £59.

So, that's what they decided to do.

The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve.

'Since you are all such good customers,' he said, 'I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily beers by £20.

Drinks for the ten now cost just £80.'The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes so the first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free. But what about the other six men - the paying customers?

How could they divide the £20 windfall so that everyone would get his 'fair share?'

They realized that £20 divided by six is £3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer.

So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay. And so:

The fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% savings).
    The sixth now paid £2 instead of £3 (33%savings).
    The seventh now pay £5 instead of £7 (28%savings).
    The eighth now paid £9 instead of £12 (25% savings).
    The ninth now paid £14 instead of £18 (22% savings).
    The tenth now paid £49 instead of £59 (16% savings).

Each of the six was better off than before and the first four continued to drink for free, but once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings.

"I only got a pound out of the £20," declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man, "but he got £10!"
    "Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved a pound, too. It's unfair that he got TEN times more than I!"
    "That's true!!" shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get £10 back when I got only two? The wealthy get all the breaks!"

"Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison. "We didn't get anything at all. The system exploits the poor!"

The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up. The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat down and had beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something very important....

they didn't have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill!

And that, boys and girls, journalists and college professors, is how our tax system works.

The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up anymore.

In fact, they might start drinking overseas
  • the poor little luvs.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]If you were on 150k you would end up paying an extra 14k a year in tax, what is going to happen to people who do earn that sort of money, have a large mortgage and also have negative equity?.

It's tough at the top isn't it? Amongst the many problems that this country faces worrying about how already very rich people are going to survive if thety have to pay a few extra K in tax is so far down the list it isn't worth thinking about.

Why should people who have done well for themselves be punished finanancially (even more so than before!!!!) to finance a bunch of scumbag pikeys and asylum seekers???
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Great story here that sums up how the tax system in the UK works :

Enjoyed that story, Chirpy ........ sums things up perfectly.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU16[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]If you were on 150k you would end up paying an extra 14k a year in tax, what is going to happen to people who do earn that sort of money, have a large mortgage and also have negative equity?.

Why should people who have done well for themselves be punished finanancially (even more so than before!!!!) to finance a bunch of scumbag pikeys and asylum seekers???

We all finance them mate.
    I'm sure those who earn 150K+ will find away to advoid paying much more than they do already.