Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Damian Matthew

edited April 2009 in General Charlton
Anyone notice how well the reserves have started doing now that Damian Matthew has settled in as manager of them? And remember he was the Under 18 coach who produced the best series of young players we have had for a long time - all the pretenders: Shelvey, Solly, Arter, Toks, Jack Clark, Wagstaff, Tuna, etc are products of his regime. A manager in the making?

Comments

• Options
    What was score today Nad?
  • Options
    1-0. Waggy scored. Mostly kids in the team, too.
  • Options
    1-0

Waggy scored
  • Options
    Could say the same of Snodin, who won the Premier Reserve League South twice...it never really happened!
  • Options
    Thanks guys.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: jollyrobin[/cite]Could say the same of Snodin, who won the Premier Reserve League South twice...it never really happened![/quote]

Sure - but doesn't mean it can't happen in this case.
  • Options
    good call,very impressed with his presence as a manager when i saw him last year during the fa youth cup run.
  • Options
    I mentioned the fact that Damien plays football ages ago

Steve Gritt IMO has changed the style of play in the yoof to one of kick and rush long ball cack, and the ressies under kins did the same

Atleast we seeem to have someone who is trying to get the players to play football in fact i would go as far as to say that Damien Matthew is the only Mgr at the club capable of improving the players under his control through coaching and if we are not going to get a new mgr because we have no money then give DM a chance atleast all the yoof that we will have to blood like and respect him and he knows them and how to play them.

Good luck DM as i fear if we dont tap into you someone else will soon realise what you have to offer and away you will go
  • Options
    Has he even got ambitions to be a manager?

I think he's probably done well because he managed a lot of the players at u18 level, and they are now playing for him in the reserves.

I did notice we looked much more composed and passed the ball better in the FA Youth Cup game when Matthew was in charge, compared the game with Gritt in charge. Although we did beat a poor Sheff Utd team 6-0 wuith Matthew in charge 6-0, Gritt's game we lost against a good Spurs side.
  • Options
    While it's encouraging, I need a break from internal appointments.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Could be an interesting contender for a league one manager, it is in the lower leagues where many managers come into prominence and he has a good track record in what he has taken on.

I don't know much about him, but do any of you think that he could cut it as Charlton Manager.

Again, would be an internal move for which the board have allready been criticised for when promoting parky.

The high oppinions of him suggest that he could be an option.
  • Options
    Yes for me

in a time when mosta re worried about finance i think taking a risk on DM would be greatly advised, I think he could be able to gel what we have here into a team, then once we have a cohernt team lets see what he can do

he would certainly have the respect of the players we will have left come next year and TBH if i was a yoof player who had grown up with DM i want to do it for him more than anyone else

DM gets my vote
  • Options
    Could not do worse than Parkinson.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]DM gets my vote

Danger-Mouse-Posters.jpg

with afka as number 2.
  • Options
    Not sure. Difficult name to sing ; - )

He seems a very good coach. he'll get respect from the youth players who know him but maybe harder with some older pros but maybe at a lower level that is less of an issue.

Bredan Rogers and Kevin Blackwell are examples of similar promotions that have worked to a degree.

Gunn at Norwich less so.

Is he a good coach or did he get lucky with a good batch of kids? Or was it both?

Know little to nothing about him so can't really say but I do wonder if appointing him would been seen by many fans as the "cheap" option and not give the lift that a name would to ST sales.

Hard one.
  • Options
    i played against him as a kid and he was class then always played the game the right way.I don't think unless things get even worse (christ is that possible) would he be given a chance but i wouldn't havea problem with it at all.I think Watford have un-earthed a gem with rodgers although being able to tap into the chelsea youth team for loanees clearly helped his plight.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Is he a good coach or did he get lucky with a good batch of kids? Or was it both?

That's the thing it's hard to say. He's done well with the reserves, but it's not been anything outstanding. It was only Aldershot reserves yesterday. Lets see how he does next season, assuming he's still here.

If we get relegated to League Two in a couple of years that's when I'd probably consider it a realistic option.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    since Matthews has been 'over seeing' the reserves;
    Won - 8
    Drawn - 2
    Lost - 4

With Kinsella at the helm (not including preseason friendly wins against Dartford reserves or Baintree reserves);
    Won - 3
    Drawn - 4
    Lost - 5

Also note the aldershot played last night were the same aldershot under kinsella we lost to 2-0
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Looking back we arguably played a weaker team when we lost 2-0. Not a first team appearance between them at the time, and only Tuna has an appearance since. Randolph, Arter, Wagstaff and Tuna have a few appearances between them.

Charlton: MacIntyre, Sinfield, Long, Tunani, Mambo, Thomas, O'Shea (Perkins 46), Stavrinou, Godfrey, Jensen, Lozano-Calderon (Bellamy 51). Subs not used: Clark, Hall, Pell, Tuna.

Compared to yesterday-

Charlton: Randolph; Hughton, Clark, Sinfield, Mambo; Wagstaff, Arter, Stavrinou, Davisson (Bellamy 60); Perkins (Pell 46), Tuna (Warren 73). Sub (not used): Binks.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Not sure. Difficult name to sing ; - )

He seems a very good coach. he'll get respect from the youth players who know him but maybe harder with some older pros but maybe at a lower level that is less of an issue.

Bredan Rogers and Kevin Blackwell are examples of similar promotions that have worked to a degree.

Gunn at Norwich less so.

Is he a good coach or did he get lucky with a good batch of kids? Or was it both?

Know little to nothing about him so can't really say but I do wonder if appointing him would been seen by many fans as the "cheap" option and not give the lift that a name would to ST sales.

Hard one.

Henners though to be fair that Good Batch of kids should be what we are using next season i am fed up of hearing we are skint this we have no funds that, if that is the case which i truely do believe then those good kids should be given a chance and i for one would like him to be given the chance and if anyone disagrees then it will be pistols at dawn and i will win cos their my pistols
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]
    I think Watford have un-earthed a gem with Rodgers although being able to tap into the chelsea youth team for loanees clearly helped his plight.

Ah, but Damien Matthews would be able to tap into the Charlton youth team ..........

;o)
  • Options
    also that will be the main make up of our squad next year anyway..
  • Options
    Full name Damian Matthew
    Date of birth 23 September 1970 (age 38)
    Place of birth London, England
    Height 5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)
    Playing position Midfielder

Youth career
    Chelsea

Senior career
    Years Club App (Gls)*
    1989–1994 Chelsea 24 0
    1992 → Luton Town (loan) 5 0
    1994–1996 Crystal Palace 24 1
    1996 → Bristol Rovers (loan) 8 0
    1996–1998 Burnley 45 6
    1998–1999 Northampton Town 2 0

Total 77 (7)
    Teams managed
    2008- Charlton Athletic Reserves (interim)

Maidstone United as a youth development advisor

Played for Palace against us at Selhurst the day Bowyer scored and we drew 1-1 He came on as sub but which player did he replace?
  • Options
    Played for Palace against us at Selhurst the day Bowyer scored and we drew 1-1 He came on as sub but which player did he replace?

Pards
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Played for Palace against us at Selhurst the day Bowyer scored and we drew 1-1 He came on as sub but which player did he replace?

butterfield?
  • Options
    No, not Pards or Butterfield but you are on the right track.
  • Options
    Pitcher?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Pitcher?

Correct.

So his first contact with Charlton fans would to have run on the pitch to a chorus of boos and W***** signs (not directed at him mind)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]So his first contact with Charlton fans would to have run on the pitch to a chorus of boos and W***** signs (not directed at him mind)

not anyway H ;-)