Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sir chris

2»

Comments

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]as that truely great LONDON paper The Evening Gooner once said " Chris who"[/quote]
    Coming from the ultra dull Evening Below Standard Potentially the most boring paper in Britain.

Chris Powell a Gentleman and a truly decent footballer. I love that man.
    Will be back in our team next season. Nailed on fact(I hope). Still better than Youga at 39 and can do a job for us in Division 3. COME BACK SIR CHRISTOPHER OF POWELL!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Chris Powell I love him maybe even more than Matty Holland, He is a true living legend and i hope one day he returns to the Valley...

p.s not in a gay way - just a manly bonding kind of way.

All blokes are allowed a couple of sporting man crushes Dazzler.
    No disgrace in having Sir Chris as one of yours.
  • Options
    Agree with NLA, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

I once spent a week with him on holiday. Me and my ex and him and his missus. Bumped into him first night literally in the hotel and spent the rest of the week in each others company. Loved him in a man love way ever since. We swapped numbers and addresses and were supposed to keep in touch but I was worried he would think I was a stalker and Mrs Powell would be worried that I wanted to take her man off him!

Derby fans adore him by the way. Was up at Pride Park once when we played them and I never seen a player worshipped by opposing teams as much. Jealous of those going Saturday.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]ive posted this before on here and said look at this picture. The night we beat chelsea on penalties. Hughes just scored the winner (think it wsa Hughes) and the team are about to start running towards him and Andersen. What is Powell doing... loooking back at us lot that were going doolally and wanting to join us.[div class=Attachments id=Attachments_444474 noWrap=false][ul compact=false][div noWrap=false]powell3.jpg[/div][/ul][/div]

Remember that well. He run over to us going potty and then shot up the other end to jump into the scrum that was going on. All this after 120 minutes football, not bad for an old boy like that (about ten years younger than me but never mind).
    Still, according to Chelsea we didn't win anyway, could have fooled me.

One thing I particularly remember with CP was after the 5-0 at West Ham in 2000, he got dropped for the trip to Man City (mind you, all 11 could have been dropped the way we played that day). Konchesky came in and did alright, at the end the first bloke to walk on the pitch and congratulate him was Sir Chris. Legend.
  • Options
    And who decided to dispense with Sir Chris services at Charlton.
  • Options
    Could anyone possibly confirm when Chris will be on the pitch as don't wanna miss him??
  • Options
    Think we should emergency loan him in, stick him up front for the last 5 mins again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]That still grates with me to this day and always will GH, what a bunch of mugs they are for that.

I love Sir Chris, and absolyrly one my Charlton highlights when he came on and banged in that goal against Cov. Wonderful moment that.

The Sub-standard will always be scum for "Chris who?" and for "so what is Charlton die" in 1984.
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]That still grates with me to this day and always will GH, what a bunch of mugs they are for that.

I love Sir Chris, and absolyrly one my Charlton highlights when he came on and banged in that goal against Cov. Wonderful moment that.

The Sub-standard will always be scum for "Chris who?" and for "so what is Charlton die" in 1984.

Bernard Joy must have got a dodgy pork pie while reporting from The Valley at some point in his career. The man hated us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Chris Powell I love him maybe even more than Matty Holland, He is a true living legend and i hope one day he returns to the Valley...

p.s not in a gay way - just a manly bonding kind of way.

Powell is much more of a Charlton legend than Holland.
  • Options
    got to meet the legend himself today!

What a nice man!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Come on then SE10, details, details....
  • Options
    Sco - Matty is a very big legend to me as i've met him a few times and had some good chats!

but only shook powell's hand and said hi so not as good didn't even see him today :'o(
  • Options
    yes sorry scoham> i love powell as much as everyone else. but what is the difference between powell and holland? they both have given their all to the cause and i would put Matt up there in terms of skill and love for this club!

The only thing Matt doesnt have is that all endearing smile and affability.

Matt Holland is a Charlton man also.
  • Options
    Agreed, Powell and Holland are in the same bracket .... both of them players that appreciate the fans. Holland alwaqys applauds the fans after a game whatever the fans have been subjected to.
  • Options
    I would definitely place Powell much higher in the 'Charlton legend' bracket than Holland. 'Sir Chris' was a much more consistent & effective performer for us in his years at the club.
    Holland, I felt, was a bit of an anonymous player('Cap'n Cleanshorts' anyone?), up until the halfway point of our relegation season from the top flight, & that was more for his renewed battling spirit than his overall playing effectiveness on the pitch.
    He definitely had his best years at Ipswich, but has worked extremely hard for us in his twilight years & that definitely goes a long way to getting him up there in the rankings. I wouldn't have wished injury as a way for him to finish with us, more a sunny afternoon in the SE7 sunshine, taking the captains armband one last time.(God knows why Hudson still has/ever had the armband)
    I'm happy to have witnessed, what I consider to be, two of his best performances for us. Which came against Swansea on the opening day, when he came on & shored up a tiring midfield, with a calm, & dominating midfield performance, & against Reading. Where he was a rock in the centre & allowed Bailey to flourish alongside him, with a brilliant & mature marshalling performance in the midfield. (After that game, I really thought we had found the 'formula' to a promotion, even title-winning season. Jeeeeebus, how times have changed!:-( )
    Thanks for the effort & memories Matty, & good luck!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]Come on then SE10, details, details....

Not much to tell I'm afraid!
    Was in the Derby players lounge before he game and he was in there.

Went over and said hello told him I was cafc and that he is a legend.

Would have asked him if he was going to take over as our manager but he had to go on the pitch and hand out their player of the year award!
  • Options
    from the derby program talking about the Jack Stamps Trophy (their player of the year award) 'no player won the honour last season, with the Derby fans winning the nomination in what was a testing Premier League'
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]from the derby program talking about the Jack Stamps Trophy (their player of the year award) 'no player won the honour last season, with the Derby fans winning the nomination in what was a testing Premier League'

We should done that for this season
  • Options
    I think Sir Chris legendary status hasnt been tarnished by the clubs decline in the way that Mattys has.

To me both great professionals but unfortunately Matty has been here throughout the whole decline and you cant feel so good about that.

I have met both briefly and they are true gentleman and a credit to their profession and of a sort that appears to be more rare now.
  • Options
    I am sure Matty could have got out,if he had wanted to, so to me him staying and trying to do the right thing by us only adds to his reputation. Chris was deemed by Pards as not good enough, if that had not been the case he too would have stayed and fought alongside Holland. Who knows, if he is excess to Leicesters requirement he could be back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I am sure Matty could have got out,if he had wanted to, so to me him staying and trying to do the right thing by us only adds to his reputation. Chris was deemed by Pards as not good enough, if that had not been the case he too would have stayed and fought alongside Holland. Who knows, if he is excess to Leicesters requirement he could be back.

When you get hold of a diamond like Sir Chris you dont let go.

Personally I would like to keep Matty because I think he could be a permanent sub covering the back eight and his experience would be a good balance alongside younger players. Thats assuming he would be happy with that and his fitness is ok.
  • Options
    I don't think enough has been said of the fact that Matty has done his medial ligaments. I fear for his career, not just his Charlton future, as at his age that will be very difficult to come back from. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him join Roy Keane's staff and him retire as a player. Whatever happens I hold him in the same high regard that I hold Powell, Mendonca, Rufus etc. In my eyes a Charlton legend.
  • Options
    Don't get this adulation for Holland and not even on the same page as Chris Powell IMHO.

Matt is a gentleman and a good pro by all accounts but on the pitch he's been living on his reputation for the past 3 or 4 years. If he looks good it's because of how poor those around him have been.

He always gives of his best, has come in and done well at CH when needed but he's no Chrissy Powell.
  • Options
    On attitude and commitment, they are both exemplary.

Where Chris Powell excells is the raw and huge qualtities of charisma he has and a reputation that goes far beyond Charlton. Wasn't he head of the player's association, or something similar? He commands respect from far afield, and I guess that is what makes him outstanding.

Could he mannage us in league one?
  • Options
    as i say mines just down to personal experience.

Powell has acted the same at every club he's played for...

Matty as i have said i have had many an interesting chat with and he's my man crush as someone worded it on here! (I love matty in a manly butch kind of way not a Dafyd only gay in the village kind of way)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Don't get this adulation for Holland and not even on the same page as Chris Powell IMHO.

Matt is a gentleman and a good pro by all accounts but on the pitch he's been living on his reputation for the past 3 or 4 years. If he looks good it's because of how poor those around him have been.

He always gives of his best, has come in and done well at CH when needed but he's no Chrissy Powell.

On talent alone I'd agree, but like Powell, Holland gives his all every time he pulls that red shirt on!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Don't get this adulation for Holland and not even on the same page as Chris Powell IMHO.

Thanks Henry, I was starting to think everyone had gone mad!

Holland has never done anything in his time with us to justify "Charlton Legend" status. Average at most.

To put him in the same bracket as Powell, Rufus and Mendonca is just the most absurd thing I have ever heard.